Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

The Super Rich are mad as hell.. and doing great!

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#21 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

yeah I would describe the 60's and 70's a s a golden age, a golden age of revolution and protesting.
Nixon was outed, MLK spoke the truth, lone gunman wtf? I don't know what your saying....

All I'm saying there wouldn't be half the mess we are in now if more people were like the generation of the 60's.
That was the point.

I hear ya.

Did that generation disappear or go on to elect Ronald Reagan to two terms - ignoring Iran/Contra, the S&L scandal - those people are all still alive? What happened? They became (most of them) co-opted, part of the establishment. They are every bit, if not more guilty of enabling the status quo. They led the way, right to this very moment.

There are Dorks in every age who suck up to power and money and play the Judas game. But the 60's Peace Riots in DC, the multiple physical occupations (of Universities, Wounded Knee, Alcatraz etc.), putting environmental concerns in the national dialog, and throwing a monkey Wrench in the USA war machine were unbelievable accomplishments after the white bobby socks conformity of the 50's. Alas even though we fell short of our goals we still accomplished a major paradigm shift.

The people who looted the S&L's, did the drugs for gun swaps of Iran/Contra, and elected Reagan were the Dorks in the class, clinging to old power, afraid of revolution, but for a few glorious years the rest of us actually believed that we could nudge the world in a better direction...an we did.

By the way how are things going in your revolution?
  • Juthro and Sickmanlives like this

#22 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

I don't generally spend my time thinking about revolution, I've got plenty going on in my community. But, since you asked, things aren't bad. We started a cooperative, community, non-government affiliated way to help our children facilitate their learning. Many of the people I know attempt to raise large portions (not nearly as much as they'd like) of their own food and what they can't, often comes from friends or neighbors whom we have physical contact with. That way, we know how the food has been raised and generally (not always, of course) keep our money out of the food, farming and biotech cartels that supply most of the country.

We've been successful (slowly but surely) at getting high quality, locally raised food into the government schools so many more children can benefit from more nutrient dense, healthy alternatives. We have been able to continue on and increase the movement of small-scale, mostly organic agriculture in an area where conventional is king. I'm thankful to be a part of several 'alternative' media outlets who are slowly, oh so slowly making inroads at breaking down the "fourth wall" of the political and social stage show presented to us.

I could go on but it's already boring. It doesn't always feel that way in the moment but I guess my 'revolution', whatever that is, goes. Thanks for asking.

• riseabovethought, Spooner and 3S1 like this

#23 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

But arent they the self proclaimed Greatest Generation?

The "Greatest Generation" was the title given to the survivors of WWII. They came home, got laid, and 9 months later the result was the "Baby Boomers" who grew up to became the nonconforming activist "Hippies" of the 60's.

I am proud to be a child of the 60's, and to have been maced and chased in DC, and to have locked unresponsive administrators out of their University offices while we ate pizza's on their desks. I regret missing Alcatraz, and Wounded Knee, but did not develop friends in that battle until the late 70's.

The closest thing to a fight in recent years is "Anonymous" and "Hactivists" fighting on the new battle ground of cyberspace and occasionally in the streets. With the Drones, RFID chips, government/corporate control of communications, and data mining, the need for a paradigm shift is greater now than it has ever been, before we are all led to slaughter.

P.S.Glad to hear that the fight goes on locally AW. That is increasingly important as nutrition is sucked out of packaged foods at ever rising prices.

Edited by Spooner, 04 February 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#24 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

Just to be clear, on my end. I don't deny that there was a lot of solid activism in the 60s and 70s (and on, up to now). However, I believe it's disingenuous and fallacious to say that, "if only we had some hippies or old-school 'redmen'" around (I'm using extreme paraphrasing for brevity, of course) we wouldn't be in this mess. If that were the case, well, we wouldn't be in this mess. After all, they've already done their thing, apparently...and here we are.

I don't know about Anonymous but, since you mentioned "hacktivists", Barrett Brown facing 100 years, Aaron Swartz, dead, Jeremy Hammond doing ten. These are current, hardcore "non conformists", as you say, doing real time or dead; not to mention Bradley/Chelsea Manning. Indian and Haitian farmers burning Monsanto seeds. The relatively few, and honest rebels in the middle east and north Africa fighting tyrants at home and imperialism from abroad. Hard core activism is alive and well - it's not a thing from some time past.

• Spooner likes this

#25 Sickmanlives

Sickmanlives

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

I think about starting a revolution every second it seems like. Mined minds.

Alcatraz....wasn't that something!, wounded knee gets even worse. I don't think its ever been the same since.

If you don't like how the world is; it's up to us change it. I'm going to change so that I can change it.

That's where it has to start, the blaming has to end. I can blame all day long, but it wont change anything.

• Spooner likes this

#26 Sickmanlives

Sickmanlives

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:23 AM

Well August know your twisting words a bit here.

I never mentioned hippies, nor did I say they did what they did back then so here we are.

Theirs lots of redman brother who still have it in them. They aren't just covering that on your local media station.

But of course even when the first whites come over to the so called Jamestown, I mean it starts already with dictatorship and religion afflictions.

Who was God prior, I have no clue and still don't. What are all these infectious diseases you were all dying from, prior my people didn't have.

We been protesting since day 1, they wanted control. So don't blame my people for being a part of it.

• Spooner likes this

#27 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,832 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:56 AM

So don't blame my people for being a part of it.

Unless you and your's are not a human beings your people are part of it. 

If we want to move ahead we need to break down those kinds of barriers.  Those barriers being race, creed, sexual orientation, economic, geographical, religious, and even people who like Phish.

Until then we will continue to see each other as "the other," or "not mine," or "less than," or, or, or, or. . . .

“I am just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human”.
John Trudell

Get it?

Edited by cyclenaut, 05 February 2014 - 01:57 AM.

• August West, firerat and Spooner like this

#28 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

I knew someone wouldn't be into the whole brevity thing. The internet is a difficult place to converse.

I never mentioned hippies, nor did I say they did what they did back then so here we are.

I know you didn't mention hippies, Spooner did - that's mostly who that particular comment was for. I'm trying to respond to both of you at the same time and clearly I'm not being very effective. You have both said, or alluded to the idea that, if we had old school activists around (again, I am paraphrasing), we wouldn't be in the mess we're in. I'm saying we've had old school activists around...and we're in the mess that we're in.

Theirs lots of redman brother who still have it in them. They aren't just covering that on your local media station.

of course there are "redman brothers who still have it in them" - today - that's exactly my point. Of course they're not being covered on local media - that, among numerous other reasons, is why I don't pay attention to local media.

But of course even when the first whites come over to the so called Jamestown, I mean it starts already with dictatorship and religion afflictions.
Who was God prior, I have no clue and still don't. What are all these infectious diseases you were all dying from, prior my people didn't have.
We been protesting since day 1, they wanted control. So don't blame my people for being a part of it.

I think I mostly understand what you're saying here but it's a little murky. I've never been to Jamestown and I've never died from an infectious disease. I certainly don't know you or "your people" so I wouldn't blame you for anything. Just as I would expect you not to collectivize me. At least any more than you already have.
  • Spooner likes this

#29 Sickmanlives

Sickmanlives

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:32 AM

you guys are too sensitive. This was supposed to be a friendly debate nothing more, just like old times.

See that's my whole point, before the migration, shut down, whatever you want to call it....we did this all the time.

Chains are chains regardless of color and every race has been enslaved somehow.

I'm on your side August..Really I am.

#30 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,161 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:51 AM

But you lads aren't indian are you? No...those are your people.

My people were making waves, while the rest didn't know what to do.

Regan who voted for Reagan? My elders didn't. See Auguts and Rise that's the difference, but you forget one thing.

I'm not a white man. I'm not a militant either. And you can say all you want about the red man, I won't get offended.

But we always took it to the hill, didn't we?. Fuckin rights we did. So yes 60 and 70's were the best.

Look how many fought over there in Vietnam, Korea? Most of our populations were over there across this divided nation, that we just live in.

Wtf did Reagan do for my people? He made us look bad in Hollywood why did he do that?

There is a reason for that you know. So the rich daddies of the Vietnam war, the rich daddies that held most of the jobs, the rich dadies who's kids went to great schools

The rich kids who came out of that area, the rich friends of the rich voted for Reagan. It's not us who voted, we have our own officials we vote for.

Aim was founded in the 70's and scared the government and the people in the United states.

Aim would have took your precious lands away and hurt your carrers, jobs, financials.

The people I know are drunk,cold,starving,sick,impoverished and dying.

I wonder if that was Reagan's fault....

I think the real plan is to make the 99%ers against themselves ;) we r too smart for that arnt we ;)

• Spooner likes this

#31 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,161 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:56 AM

I don't generally spend my time thinking about revolution, I've got plenty going on in my community. But, since you asked, things aren't bad. We started a cooperative, community, non-government affiliated way to help our children facilitate their learning. Many of the people I know attempt to raise large portions (not nearly as much as they'd like) of their own food and what they can't, often comes from friends or neighbors whom we have physical contact with. That way, we know how the food has been raised and generally (not always, of course) keep our money out of the food, farming and biotech cartels that supply most of the country.

We've been successful (slowly but surely) at getting high quality, locally raised food into the government schools so many more children can benefit from more nutrient dense, healthy alternatives. We have been able to continue on and increase the movement of small-scale, mostly organic agriculture in an area where conventional is king. I'm thankful to be a part of several 'alternative' media outlets who are slowly, oh so slowly making inroads at breaking down the "fourth wall" of the political and social stage show presented to us.

I could go on but it's already boring. It doesn't always feel that way in the moment but I guess my 'revolution', whatever that is, goes. Thanks for asking.

:) We r sharing food around here too ... gardeners here are coming together and sharing what we grow and seeds for next year it is starting :)

We also find sharing food it helps many people around here that family that has a little extra shares with that single person :) and when that single person makes a big old pot of soup shares back

we need more of this in community's all over ;) .....It is never boring it can be survival ;)

• August West and Spooner like this

#32 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:16 AM

Yes, there are great activists today, but the supporting groundswell is missing. I miss the sense of solidarity. The sense that not only was the Government wrong, but that it could be controlled by people through peaceful protest.

A half million protesters on the National Mall within view of the Nixon White House was freaky. DC did not have the jails or manpower to hold that many, so their tactic became to let the rally die down, then teargas and chase us around, but try not to catch too many. Just to disperse and annoy the crowd, which was already drifting slowly off to dinner.

Another insult to authority was Alcatraz. For more than a year and a half, renegades held Alcatraz defying Federal authorities, but with wide support across the USA including the Longshoremen's Union who threatened to close shipping ports if the renegades were forcibly removed. "According to the IAT, the Treaty of Fort Laramie (1868) between the U.S. and the Sioux, all retired abandoned or out-of-use federal land was returned to the Native people from whom it was acquired. Since Alcatraz penitentiary had been closed on March 21, 1963, and the island had been declared surplus federal property in 1964, a number of Red Power activists felt the island qualified for a reclamation." (excerpt from wiki)

These sorts of civil disobedience caused enough governmental angst, that in 1970 4 students were actually shot dead by National Guard troops during a small Kent State rally protesting Nixon's expansion of the Vietnam war into Cambodia.

I applaud today's activists, as well as the many small (but quiet & effective) acts of independence. But it seems that in USA, we increasingly fear our government when our government should fear us, as the Arab Spring demonstrated.

P.S. Ok, I will shut up now, sorry about the rants. But by jiminy this stuff still gets my ticker pumping. Guess I am not 100% dead quite yet. Peace, amigo's.

Edited by Spooner, 05 February 2014 - 05:58 AM.

• wildedibles likes this

#33 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

In case there was any doubt about where the lines are drawn (and that it's not about race) then this little-known incident in U.S. history should help clear it up. It's about the time when Macarthur, Eisenhower, and Patton proved their loyalty to power instead of people (even including their fellow white male veterans) by attacking WWI vets who had set up a huge camp at the Capitol to protest the broken promise that they'd be paid a bonus for their service during the war (an IOU that the gov't never paid). It was a testament to their patience that the protest took place in 1932 when they'd been promised their bonuses in 1918 but that didn't mean they weren't gassed and chased out of the Capitol and their camps and possessions torched for their insolence.

History teaches us that we shouldn't be surprised when those who protest against the actions or policies of the psychopaths who believe themselves to be in charge end up gassed, beaten to a bloody pulp and their shelters set on fire or bulldozed as they're chased out of the "National" Mall in the shadow of the Capitol of the Land of the Free. If they'll drop the hammer on white male war veterans then it's pretty obvious that enforcing the status quo is about wealth and class, not race or religion or whatever else we mere commoners like to yell at each other about "down here."

[Direct Link]

• wildedibles likes this

#34 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Just can't get down from that race and class soapbox? Race and class are just one more, albeit biggest and most often used, Dividers mentioned above.

It's about who has the power and who is challenging those with power. Those with power will use it, every time, to put down those who challenge THEIR power.

If religion is the opiate of the masses - Power is the shake and bake methamphetamine of the Elected.

• wildedibles likes this

#35 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,031 posts

Donator

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

you guys are too sensitive. This was supposed to be a friendly debate nothing more, just like old times.

See that's my whole point, before the migration, shut down, whatever you want to call it....we did this all the time.

Seems to me you guys are having a friendly debate just fine.

No jabs, good info. What's the problem?

Edited by firerat, 05 February 2014 - 08:55 AM.

• August West and wildedibles like this

#36 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,031 posts

Donator

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

they were so no problem till a mod shows up and says what the the problem.

So wtf is the problem?

I don't know you tell me. You said something about you guys are too sensitive and it's not like the old boards.

You have a great discussion going on here. So I asked. me being a mod has nothing to do with it.

• wildedibles likes this

#37 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

sickman, reread the recent threads

my remark was immediately after TV's where he mentions race and class

get your nose out of being out of joint. what is everyones' hurry to DIVIDE?

FWIW I'd pick up a rifle and join a Nativist revolution today

and you flatter yourself way too much if you think Europeans weren't building fires for thousands of years before landing here.

#38 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

sickman I'll try once more.

When I speak of division it's between us. Us being the druggie community, and in a much larger sense citizens and their government.

We can all defend an ideological turf so small that adding them together will result in a giant incohesive rubble pile of complaints and torts.

What I'm suggesting in all my posts is that we need to clearly identify the enemy and unite against it.

If it is your preference to fight that battle alone or only with the aid of your tribe that's your choice and I'll support it but, frankly, our odds are so much better together.

• wildedibles likes this

#39 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,468 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

I'm not sure what gives you the impression I am too sensitive, or even, what you mean by it. I also don't see where it became anything other than a friendly debate. Beyond that, I don't typically draw "sides" so I'm not sure which one we're on, together but I suppose I appreciate the sentiment. 

#40 3S1

3S1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:21 AM

Impressive yet ourobourosian at the same time. Fuck it, im moving to Bhutan.

OP, where are ya? Ya got jacked yo.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!