40 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

My Dream :) I hope one day it wont just be a dream but plans for this is at least 5 years away

- Have 3 rooms that people can come and stay in

that want natural therapy care it can be mixed with care from Doctors as well working all together for better health and in a personal one on one way

-Have a work room for Reflexology, Herbal consultant, and Nutritional consultation too this is the back ground I have

but other people can work in this room too if I find a massage therapist or other natural therapists could work here as well

- I wish to have a sauna and a hot tub for therapy as well ....My house was once 2 apartments so I have 2 bathrooms already plumed in one will be for the work room and well we had to shovel the floor out of this room cause it was so rotted we got rid of all the fixtures since they were all broken (this bath will have just a toilet and sink maybe small shower)

and the hot tub will be opened up to the work room this needs more planning cause it is a small area I might have to take some room from the work room to make everything fit properly (this is why I want to include pictures ;)

I am trying to plan this the best I can cause I need to renovate my house and I really need to keep this in mind for the future I find that I am getting all messed up and I need to make sure things are renovated with this all planned out first so this is why I am posting ;)

I want to eco friendly this place the best I can with the funds available

I will be posting pictures of the progress or problems I encounter and this old house of mine was built in 1919 and well u encounter problems ;) 

My work room might be finished at the end of march :) and I can actually have clients come in and possibly start making money again :) When my business starts to take off and make any money I will want to be a sponsor here :)

I would like some help in this adventure and I need pushes sometimes too cause I loose interest in things easily and procrastination tends to hold me back ...another reason for putting my dream out there

I have dreampt about this for a long time and have been making slow steps to get here like my schooling in the 3 things I mentioned there and learning about mushrooms and plants more and more every year

and learning to collect them from the wild or grow :)

I want to grow or buy from local farmers the food that I need to feed people ....or they can help if they can go into the woods and learn to collect or grow their own

the place I will move to will be a place in the country where I can raise small animals as rabbits, chickens and such....

buy bigger animals from local farmers so I know what has gone into the food that I feed people

if the sick people are able to help and learn that's great if they cannot and are stuck in bed or the house there is interesting plants that can be indoors as well

I already have 2 counselors available one Native American  and one specializing in disability and addiction counseling

and have 2 personal support workers available to help with the physical needs of disabled people :) and one will always be here so the clients are never left alone they always have someone here to help

This old house of mine used to be a midwife house lady's would come here to have their baby's or I guess the woman would go to their house too if necessary?? I already had plans to make this a place for the sick when I found out about the houses history and thought it was really neat that this house is going back into health care :)

any thoughts, encouragement, any help is very much welcomed :) Thanks in advance :)

• MLBjammer, firerat, riseabovethought and 4 others like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

I offer all the encouragement I have Wilde. Everything about this plan is an extention of your essence, and although it will take work, I believe the coming to fruition would bring you great joy and satisfaction.

Your encyclopedic knowledge of herbal and alternative medicine's, would be something that could benefit so many, and I cannot imagine how many people could be helped with access to such a place as you have dreamed, and begun to take steps towards making this an actuality.

I would love to help, but distance means I would be limited to "remote good energy sending's".

• wildedibles likes this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:07 AM

Thanks buddy I need all the encouragement I can get :) This helps soo much

I want to post pictures of this process and any ideas are great :) I know all my friends here are great at their own thing and can help me soo much with ideas I can then put into place :)

A reminder of smart water planing for the gardens would be apriciated too cause just cause i have lots of water here means i can waste it if i am not careful and people like you so far away feel the struggle ;) Eco planing :) one of my plans is to make a green roof on some of the off buildings like porches

this would cool some of the water instead of heating it up on a hot shingle roof ;)

rain water is captured for veggies :) sits in a pond which has gold fish for now to keep the mosquitoes to a minimum ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 14 February 2014 - 06:09 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#4 JJ800M

JJ800M

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

That sounds like an awesome plan!

Please keep us posted - I will certainly keep my eyes on this thread.

All the best of luck with your project! :)

• wildedibles likes this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

Ok the boys helped me clean out the work room so in the day light I will take pictures today ...

Me and hubby were talking and we might have better room for a personal hot tub bath to go in the bath room instead of a hot tub ...this might prevent me from moving a wall and messing up the kitchen to move a door these r things in an old house can bring u problems

I had room for a regular tub so I should have room for a personal bath

this will also help keep the chemicals to a minimum with larger shared hot tubs use tons of water  and chemicals to keep it clean and still migt not be clean enough at times needing a water change and heat to keep it hot all this is not practical for me

I do want a spot where a few people can socialize if they wish too so the sauna will be big enough for at least 4 to sit comfortably ...this will be heated with a wood stove I kind of want to look into putting a green house connected some how to this sauna using left over heat to warm the plants ;)

This part is not happening soon but I still need the plans in my head so when the time comes I will know what I am doing ;)

but back to the work room bath room cause it will be the 1st to get going ;)

I need to measure and make sure I can get the tub I want into that space b4 ripping the work room apart

and the joys of the internet I can find walk in hot tub baths :) they look shorter cause u sit in them instead of laying down easy to get in and out of and this would be big help for people that cannot lift their legs up too far cause u open the door and get in and close the door

something like this

4b9e9dd9-8ca4-4552-912d-1285ac.jpg

#6 Peaceful

Peaceful

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

That's an amazing vision. I wish you the best of luck.
  • wildedibles likes this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:18 AM

ok no pictures yet I have been too busy cleaning up the mess that was still in that room and a neighbours room that is going to be renovated too busy busy busy time

My work room has a closet and its a long one not wide so it isnt even good to hang anything in it just gets used as a dumping ground to store stuff SO

#1 remove the closet and give this space to the bathroom which is really small right now U open the door squese in to use the toilet which would be behind the door sink right there too and bath tub spot is a little further in just enough room to turn around when the fixtures are all in there

So If I give this space to the bath room we can put the bath tub further back where the closet is now bath tub can go in that spot (if there is enough room to turn it we might be able to keep the pluming the same way (pluming is in a crawl space under the bath room so this is not the best of conditions to work in the less that has to be done under here the better ;))

-we still have a sub floor in the bath room but the floor that was on top we had to shovel it out it was sooo  rotten sub floor sturdy it has gaps in the wood so water didnt sit on it at all it driped down under into the sand in this crawl space

now pluming has been caped off because there is no fixtures no toilet sink or bath so b4 hooking this back up we will have a good look at it make sure it is all still good some cases it is better to run new (Some people r asking me to go plastic but I dont like plastic I would rather have copper I have seen plastic water pipes bend over the years and if it can bend due to heat and weight well it is melting some how and I do not like plastic water rather have a little lead from the soder any day than plastic

So bathroom back wall needs to be ripped out (this wall is not load barring but it does have a vent in it for the plumming it looks old so it probably can be moved or replaced ? we will just have it go up threw the middle of the bath tub ;) lol

wow move it to the outside wall somewhere now the top part is going to be a hole in my roof great ???

I am glad I am thinking about this out loud b4 riping a wall down it is a newer one too I had this choice b4 too but eneded up putting the wall in cause of this gas pipe from the exit pluming ..... it is air / gass to let the methane out u need it in  here or the house will smell and this stuff s a gas that can make u sick and i think it can explode if it accumulates somewhere but this house is a drafty old house ... ah there shoould be two vents in the plumming in this houese too and I just have this one actually need another one for the other bath room on the other side of the house

so just moving it and not putting it back is not an option ..... Can air pipes for pluming have corners I know it is a certain corner u use for exit pipes no 45's cause stuff could get stuck in the 45

it be more difficult but i should be able to move it to the outside wall lets open back up the wall and see what we can do I really want this bath room a little bigger when it was all together b4 I had just enough room to turn around to shut the door use the toilet or sink I think it was like 2 feet square feet to turn around in

someone suggested taking the bath room out and making a pantery for the kitchen cause it is right there but na I need a bath room for my work room and one personal other bath room in the house need some privacy for my clients

Start taking walls apart Where r my teenage boys when I need them???

Edited by wildedibles, 22 February 2014 - 06:19 AM.

• Erkee likes this

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

I talked to my real good plumer friend ;)

He told me that I should have 2 vents for the amount of bathrooms I have.

He said 2 would be good but he told me they could go anywhere I can remove the one from the wall and put it anywhere

So this little closet wall can come out later it doesnt have to be now either cause we r working on the work room not the bath room anyway

I tend to get ahead of my self and stumped about how I am going to do the next thing when the first thing isnt even started yet ;)

but this type of thinking is good when we need to look into the future about how the future job will be

So the room is almost cleaned out have a few more things (one thing I hate about renovating is where does the furniture go? I have one big couch that there is not other room where it can go Grrr)

Oh an old sewing machine I have a plan for this one it is going to be turned into a lathe for making wooden bowls :)

So it will be going to my friends house he told me he turn it into that for me :)

oh have a chop saw to get rid of I bought one from a friend and I was working for these other friends and they gave me one ... man I work for too much stuff where can it all go??

anyway way too many distractions for me but its almost clean I can see the floor :)

one thing I really need in this space is a place where I can dry herbals I do not use my food dryer for this cause it is too hot for plants

I like to dry them in baskets inside or outside if the weather is good only takes a few days when the weather is dry ;)

but inside I need a space for this so I can collect what I need and store it away needs to be in glass but I like the idea wrapping it in paper then glass or plastic storage bins for larger material jars for small amounts paper will keep the sun off of it too so the plant material doesnt become bleached by the sun

See this is what happened when i was a kid cleaning my room oOOH whats that havent seen that in a while and get distracted for a while ;)

lol

So keeping in mind all the uses this room will have now and 5 years from now even 10years from now I do not want to redue any of these rooms I am not someone that even re decorates every year ;) I do not want any waste in this eco friendly as I can get place

I need to express this to some people cause for a natural health center we should have the healthy alternatives

I have a few people that r going to be helpin me for free and I love and appreciate that but I have certain needs from this place and we really need to look at options that will never make someone feel more sick even if its free or cheap I would rather wait till I can afford it than getting dollar store light switches ;)

So keeping in mind the uses for this room 

• Office / consultation space,
  • herbal drying space so shelving somewhere,
  • massage room 
  • small exercise space like yoga / therapy

I cannot think of anything else but it will be a catch all room to like it normal is or a storage space too if we need to do repairs to the house in other rooms ;)

So the exterior walls are free of junk boxes ect we can move around them now so need to take off some dry wall it is thin stuff 1/8" and nailed instead of screwed really easy to do I promised pictures so I will make sure to take some today since the room is cleaned out almost now

There is tongue and grove pine behind this dry wall but one step at a time :;)

#9 JJ800M

JJ800M

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

If you want a free (and un-used!) bubble-hot-tub then i got one standing.

Its a corner-tub, in near-perfect condition and is white.

Only problem is that it is located in Denmark… :)

A mate of my father was trying to start a business selling them, it never took off and he was left with a couple of models.

My father got one of them for his bathroom, and the other one has been sitting un-used for the last 2-3 years.

I got no idea if its cheaper just to buy a new one then to pay for the transport from Denmark to the states (it would probably need to be sailed there lol).

• wildedibles likes this

#10 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

Thanks bud :) means a lot  the bath is kinda way off from now a friend of mine hasnt used hers in 5+ years they want to get rid of theirs too but it being a 4 person hot tub I do not think it will fit

I like the idea of this one being a walk in hot tub the one shown but I dont wanna look up a price tag at the moment either ;) lol

Here is some pictures of the work room b4 all the inside walls are gone and filled up with warm insulation :)

IMG_0768.JPG IMG_0770.JPG IMG_0772.JPG IMG_0774.JPG IMG_0776.JPG IMG_0783.JPG

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:43 AM

This wall needs to be insulated

post-121976-0-67227900-1393226086.jpg

post-121976-0-54714000-1393226146.jpg

and the window wall here needs to be insulated

post-121976-0-33949400-1393226166.jpg

This closet wall will come out later so the tub can be in the bath room making more room in there

post-121976-0-58501500-1393226104.jpg

Its funny this book shelf can be removed and put back but thats not the funny part lol there is a hole in the upstairs room floor if you put something in this hole it goes into behind the book shelf ;) the hole in the upstairs floor is covered up with boards so its not a hole anyway put something in there it ends up here ;)

post-121976-0-02813000-1393226122.jpg

It might come in handy for something we say like a laundry shoot :) the upstairs room later will be where our PSW or me will stay the night this connected to the office space might be good I wish to keep this book shelf

post-121976-0-01101200-1393226222.jpg

This floor is in good shape besides the foot prints lol me and the kids had fun paining this room I wanted to keep pictures of this

when I first moved back here we only had a little bit of paint but in all different colors so we painted a picture on the walls and feet on the floor ;) It worked they were happy with their room but now they just take over the living room and back bed rooms where there r games .....

I just noticed too that there is still base board heaters in here too I think 2 and the thermostat is already gone cause the breakers for all the heaters is off they r not being used since I found plastic army guys in there mixed with crayons ;)

if using any electric heat I use plug in heaters they are much safer

there is a wood stove in the basement kinda under this room and it is still super cold in the winter cause this room has sawdust for insulation and no plastic vapor barrier this is gonna make a mess getting it all out but the trees in the yard love this sawdust as mulch it is either pine or spruce sawdust some kind of soft wood

there is one light in the closet that we will have to move maybe into the room a little since this closet will be removed so need to find the breaker this light will be on and turn it off when this wall comes out

enough thinking for now ......

Edited by wildedibles, 24 February 2014 - 07:00 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Oh my we almost got all this fiber board bull off the walls and down to the tongue and grove pine

Measured the distance between the studs to see what kind of insulation we need lmao 2' gotta love old houses 2 X 4 studs so the wider insulation for the attic spaces will fit better but it is too wide and squishing it isnt very good it cuts back the r value when squished I think I have pulled some apart b4 but I cannot remember the other section I did of the house was wider than soposed to be studs in the walls too

I am going to take some more pictures and get back to work

I am finding it hard to pull this stuff off with all these nails so I am cleaning up while hubby uses his muscles I start it off and he can pull the rest :)

I am taking all these nails off too and we took that book shelf off

there is one ok wall that is reg dry wall I am all for saving on materials but it might have to be removed too

I have to check the panel box and make sure all the heater breakers are off before removing these heaters and cap the wires with mar connectors ? where is my electrician friend when I need him?

we also need to take that closet door frame apart and there is a light hanging down need to turn the breaker off wonder what is all on this breaker will I want it off for a week probably not so we can wait a we bit longer maybe maybe not need that out to insulate that wall ..........?????

oh ya there is 2 plugs that I have to take the cover off that is what I am looking for a screw driver or maybe just a good screw will work ;) lol need a break but need to get more done ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 01 March 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#13 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

I vacumed my butt off yesterday getting rid of all the sawdust in the walls

I noticed a white powder on this walls sawdust that wanst in any other sawdust wall ... I looked it up it could have been a few things I breathed my share of this in yesterday there was a few pieces of this stuff it looked like chalk

man oh man old homes old codes I should have learned when I took the ceilings down and all that black wool insulatiopn dist was breathed in I was calughing up black stuff for weeks I honestly thought yesterday they wouldnt put anything toxic in the walls but the cheaper of the 2 most commone chemicals can be toxic ,,, here is some info why saftey should be important ...

http://archive.org/s...00unit_djvu.txt

There is 2 chemicals listed in that info on additives used on sawdust for insulation to keep bugs and mold ect away some experiments have been done and this stuff isnt necessary ....

http://en.wikipedia....Sodium_fluoride

http://en.wikipedia....onium_phosphate

I don't really feel that bad my lungs feel a little heavy haha I had a few drinks last night and was sick so I could have puked it all out but the stuff in the lungs?

I have a scarf to tie around my face today while i finish the vacuuming

I wanted to use this sawdust in the garden around the trees and well banging the vacume filter outside might not have been a good idea why do people got to be so ???

Old house BULL CRAP!!

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,550 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Be careful with the electrical stuff Wilde, I would advise a not-contact tester to check for hot wires.  You can get one at most of the box type stores for under $20.  They also have them on amaz-n if you can’t find one in your area.  They are much easier to use then a muti-meter, and you can tell if a wire is hot or not without touching anything.

Also once you have your heaters and light unhooked, and you go to cap the wires, use a little electrical tape on the cap to secure it to the wire to make sure it doesn’t get bumped off.  Once you have things safely caped you can turn the breakers back on if you have other things on that circuit that you would like to use. 

A lot of the old wire they used back in the day had asbestos insulation, and it gets brittle and crumbly when it gets old.  If the insulation looks like it is made out of some type of fabric, or appears to be woven, it is most likely asbestos.

Be careful, and get yourself some dust masks.

Peace and friendship

Juthro

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Thanks buddy I have a friend that has one he is able to help me with simple things I really do not need to do anything complicated but all wires need to be tested b4 moving them or taking them apart or fixing them ;)

Thanks :) I think my heater wires are all pulled out of the pannel box long ago when we were doing other walls they were kinda a hazard with kids that stick things in them we had a new wood stove put in anyway to make heating the house easier

I like that electrical tape idea I have had them fall off I think this is when I insisted they came out .... we have removed some wires but these r in a different craw space and didnt get taken out if I remember right now...

ya the light is part of the bed room above it we also found a box in the ceiling that shouldnt have been covered up but my Dad said that could be the light that I wanted put on ..... lots of electrical work needing to be looked at gotta love old houses :)

I will get a picture of one of the other ones i have in the house that we havent renovated yet.... it is a woven fabric I dont like it but family said it was ok ... the rest in the house is new plastic coated wire we had nob and tooth but it was all removed b4 I moved in well it was disconnected not removed every where

I have an issue too I have 2' center walls now we either need to remove or just add extra studs? need to talk to the people that will be helping dry wall and see now that the walls are open we can see no header in the huge window shale me head ... lol I need more wood ;)

#16 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0798.JPG IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0805.JPG

The wall board asbestos or not I am going to take better pictures but adding some of the whole room too

The pine and sawdust insulation when u get a hole started and know where all your electrical is u can cut up the corner next to the stud and take them all down much easier

I vacuumed most of this up but putting it in a garbage bag with a dust pan was much easier going slow didnt stir any dust up

IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0834.JPG IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:29 AM

asbestos? closer look at the cardboard board it has a fine layer of dry wall inside many fibers of what looks like a cardboard

IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0886.JPG IMG_0887.JPG IMG_0888.JPG IMG_0892.JPG IMG_0893.JPG IMG_0894.JPG

one left on the ceiling and 2 on the wall the other boards on the wall are reg dry wall

IMG_0899.JPG this one is the board in question

and this is the dry wall

IMG_0903.JPG

#18 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:49 AM

IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG

empty walls look so weird

We have to beef up these walls my Dad is getting more studs tomorrow and we put them in every 16" not every 22" like they r

U can put one in take one out but the one wall is going up under the floor upstairs and I really dont wanna or it will be next to impossible to take one out of here so we will just add extra in this will make it a pain in the but to insulate and might not be as warm as it could be with too many studs interrupting the insulation (have to cut it to fit ) but oh well dont wanna mess with old style of supporting things by pulling out old stuff too much

post-121976-0-00770100-1393922466.jpg

The other wall we can put one in take one out the top plate is right there in sight u just have to cut the nails with the saw and pull it out space them out to new code and put a header around that big ass window

post-121976-0-54846600-1393922436.jpg

Edited by wildedibles, 04 March 2014 - 03:51 AM.

#19 paph

paph

Future Sailor

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

That board looks like a version of what we call "fibreboard" here in the UK you can get both asbestos containing and asbestos free versions.

I'm not liking the look of the white/grey fibrous sections, looks like a a possible layer of chrysotile (white asbestos) although it is very hard to tell without seeing the material physically and under a microscope. Some types of perfectly safe paper can look similar in photos.

I'm not trying to scare anyone but I'd suggest getting a piece tested at a lab, just to be sure.

Peace.:-)
  • wildedibles likes this

#20 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Sounds so good that I almost want to get sick, so I can come to your Health Center.
  • wildedibles, Juthro and gremlinchode like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!