40 replies to this topic

#21 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:08 AM

You dont need to be sick to come visit anytime buddy :)

• Spooner likes this

#22 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:31 AM

IMG_0911.JPG 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 1.jpg

These pictures were taken the 4th

Edited by Sidestreet, 07 March 2014 - 05:12 AM.

• Spooner likes this

#23 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

This is the work room wall looking threw the stairs to my room

IMG_0920.JPG

whats with the sideways pictures today ?

well anyway that wall is holding up the floor to my room with the stairs right there so it is really good we left the wood alone

we were adding more 2 x 4 to the walls to beef them up but the guys that r going to dry wall said they can be left alone they will get the bigger insulation to fit ... I still think this wall should be brought up to code ....?

7.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 07 March 2014 - 05:17 AM.

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

I will be back with more pictures they r going in sidways and taking too long to load now for some reason? have more to add from the 5th ........

#25 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

This is one of the reasons we have to work at insulating and putting a vapor barrier up along these outside walls ;)

IMG_0964.JPG

Here is the window wall with some extra 2x4's to make them 16" centers not 22" centers we were gonna do this on the other wall there too but the guys that r doing the dry wall said it is not necessary well I think they should be in there but ....

IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0956.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 08 March 2014 - 03:09 AM.

• Erkee likes this

#26 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

Looks like that 4x8 post is carrying the load OK, instead of distributing it along the whole wall. Hard to tell from just pix, but if it has not sagged yet the loads are being carried adequately by something. More wood won't hurt, but might not be needed.
That insulation looks like old stuff I have seen. Sort of ground up newspaper or treated wood pulp of some kind, not as dangerous to breath as fiberglass or asbestos.
  • wildedibles likes this

#27 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Its sawdust insulation and half of the house was insulated this way but this room had this white dust in it I thought it was dry wall dust but it was something that they put on it to prevent fire its not needed cause sawdust will not burn well compacted into a wall anyway

My throat is sore a bit and I almost have all this dust off of everything lol to be replaced with dry wall dust but that is much easier to deal with I talked to the pharmasist about the white powder he said its probably a chem burn cause this stuff is acidic so he told me to keep drinking tea water my almond milk soothes it he also said i will be fine in a few more days

The support with this wall confuses me and the other pictures I have make it more confusing lol but it is sturdy I think the wall is just under the wood for the upstairs but not the support just under the planks...?? Its just weird how they tie everything in that's all

I see if I can add the other pictures

IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0957.JPG

Althoe it might go up past the planks on the floor too either way the studs are staying not to mess with any thing that might be suported here in the way they have tied everything together

IMG_0926.JPG IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG IMG_0940.JPG IMG_0943.JPG

Edited by wildedibles, 09 March 2014 - 12:21 AM.

#28 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:24 AM

IMG_0950.JPG IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0955.JPG

#29 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

I swear the longer I look at these pictures the more confused I get lmao

post-121976-0-16663800-1394265394.jpg

This wall is this wall

post-121976-0-31858400-1394346246.jpg

#1 is all this wall

closet above is roped out too ll the pine and shavings removed now

there is a wet corner too cause of the ice dam

post-121976-0-22262200-1394346180.jpg

this is the future bath room

post-121976-0-09605300-1394346156.jpg

bathroom / closet wall ice dam on the roof above it

post-121976-0-94984600-1394341543.jpg

this wall that we have been talking about is opposite wall #1 and has a wet frozen corner from the ice dam above it as well there is a portch on the other side of this wall and that whole portch roof has Ice dam thick ice and it is in bad shape way too much to discuss riping the whole portch off would be an improvement

post-121976-0-81731100-1394266194.jpg

same wall other side portch

post-121976-0-83080600-1394266158.jpg

wet corner from ice

#30 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:10 AM

Snow and ice are very heavy. The horizontal wood adds a lot of strength but 2x4's 16" on center might help also, but I would definately consider some work on roof come spring. If the roof is asphalt shingles, you need yo have about 1-2 feet or more of metal roofing right on the edge so that the snow and ice will slide off there and not make an ice dam. That should also help heep it dry and reduce rot in the future.
  • wildedibles likes this

#31 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

I like the idea of a metal edge :)

Insulating these walls will also help with the hot air leakage that is happening to make the ice dam in the 1st place

The attic room (since u have to put the insulation in the eves) also causes the ice dam there is no baffles in the eves but I will be adding some soon putting the baffle in the edge of the eves will help air circulate around it like it is soposed to

I also have the kitchen cubbort wall to insulate this room is next to the bath room / work room the wood stove is right under the kitchen wall and I have huge air leakage there = big ice dam

the other side of the house is like this too on a portch roof this is the other side of the room that we r insulating

hoping with all this work the ice dams will be smaller or gone maybe? but I like the idea of adding the metal so if there is still one it will slide off when it melts a bit .... it really sucks trying to break this off ......

#32 Scratch

Scratch

and Sniff

• Free Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:55 AM

Do you have young children living in this house?

Please keep in mind that many older houses have lead based paint.

When remodeling, its important to take safeguards when disturbing old paint.

http://www2.epa.gov/...ect-your-family

• wildedibles likes this

#33 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:37 AM

Thanks very much for that I know there was some lead pain in here some of it has been removed but there is one piece of wood that still has that paint on it in my room shiny wood oil paints are bad for this

the walls are all wall paper everywhere not much paint well the only paint on the walls was from me newer paint I bought from the store ;)

This work room that I have here having sodium fluoride mixed in with the sawdust in the walls well this used to be the kids room and with no vapor barrier just pine tongue and grove wood holding the insulation in with maybe a asbestos board on top of that all

Old houses and hazards to our health didnt know it could ever be this bad my children do have learning disability's but so do i nd i grew up in a newer building I am told their disability's are heriditory but all this stuff i am sure is adding to the problems

the kids were not here when doing these rooms renovations and kids dont mix even if all the suff is ok ;)

Edited by wildedibles, 13 March 2014 - 04:38 AM.

• Spooner likes this

#34 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:47 AM

From the link mentioned some easily over looked sorces of lead

• Lead paint is still present in millions of homes, sometimes under layers of newer paint. If the paint is in good shape, the lead paint is usually not a problem. Deteriorating lead-based paint (peeling, chipping, chalking, cracking, damaged, or damp) is a hazard and needs immediate attention.
  • It may also be a hazard when found on surfaces that children can chew or that get a lot of wear-and-tear, such as:
    • Windows and window sills
    • Doors and door frames
    • Stairs, railings, banisters, and porches
  • Be sure to keep all paint in excellent shape and clean up dust frequently. Read about simple steps to protect your family from lead hazards (PDF)
  • Lead in household dust results from indoor sources such as deteriorating lead-based paint.
  • Lead dust can also be tracked into the home from soil outside that is contaminated by deteriorated exterior lead-based paint and other lead sources, such as industrial pollution and past use of leaded gasoline. Read more about lead dust.
  • Renovation, repair or painting activities can create toxic lead dust when painted surfaces are disturbed or demolished. Learn more about hiring lead-safe certified contractors.
  • Pipes and solder — Lead is used in some water service lines and household plumbing materials. Lead can leach, or enter the water, as water flows through the plumbing. Lead pipes and lead solder were commonly used until 1986. Read more about lead in drinking water.

I seen my kids filling the pot to cook with hot water and I asked why r u using hot " cause it heats up quicker"

I dumpet it out and told they why they should never drink hot water cause it leaches in from the solder my pipes are copper but they were put in long long ago some of them will be replaced they r so old starting to corrode at the shut off taps and some older conections

#35 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

Let the water run long enough to flush standing water out of the pipes, that should provide safeer water to drink. It takes awhile for lead to leach into the water.
  • wildedibles likes this

#36 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:08 AM

Ya we do this u want it to be cold to drink anyway :)

but with cooking I had to teach the kids and hubby to run the water as u said and not to use the hot water

um on DrOz a bit ago he suggested to let the tap run a bit when brushing and not to rinse with warm water well I used to brush with warm water cause it didnt hurt my teeth as much well it is easy to over look things like this

reading more about that painted windows can be bad and most of them are removed from here the rooms the kids are in anyway .... front portch is a night mare chipping paint

....and didnt even think about that they walk around this area and then in the house bringing in dust but my kids know to take their shoes off or they r cleaning the floors

then u think it is everywhere and well it could be all these things we used years ago for the ease of things man oh man making problems now

• Erkee likes this

#37 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:03 AM

Scratch Thanks for mentioning about the lead paint cause i had a closer look and man I still have some in the house

ahh... still have some old windows in the house kitchen window, my room window, old bathroom we dont use a window in there ...but what surprised me the paint on the floor some is older paint and good chance it is lead being this old floor paint is in good condition but the windows the paint is starting to peel flake so I am going to look into this and discuss it with the kids

they r old enough not to chew on the walls or anything but touching the flaking paint u want to pick at it sometimes and this is a bad / dangerous habit so thanks for the reminder to be cautious about the painted surfaces 

I found out too that our dumps have separate areas for different waste products so they were able to take the construction waste and dispose of it the proper ways

#38 Scratch

Scratch

and Sniff

• Free Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

Does it cost a lot to have your kids tested for lead poisoning?

#39 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

I am do not know I think the Dr here could do it free? if there was any reason to be alarmed?? Maybe check for too much  fluoride  too .... asuming it is a simple blood test I live in Canada so it should be covered ....

IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1010.JPG IMG_1011.JPG

This is what the work room looks like now :) The floor around the edge only has really old paint on it I will get this checked out thanks for the heads up ;)

This big window has to go at one point no one could help me fix it right yet... soon enough at least the walls are warmer its still -20C here at night and melting threw the day big temperature difference I appreciate the insulation and expect less heat loss ....

...if I remember correctly apple pectin is the only thing I remember helping remove heavy metals from the brain .......???.....Its the sugar fiber combo antioxidant scrubbers ....

Edited by wildedibles, 14 March 2014 - 02:24 PM.

• Erkee likes this

#40 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,550 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

Lead is a lot like asbestos, in that fact that ingestion and inhalation is the greatest risk.  Sanding, grinding, pulverizing, or anything else that atomizes or vaporizes it so that you can breathe or ingest it during your remodel are your biggest risk factor.      The biggest worry with small children is that they put things in their mouths, or get it on their hands and put their hands in their mouths.

A lot of jurisdictions have rules on the disposal of waste containing lead due to the fact that it can contaminate ground water.

Using your dust masks and washing your hands before you eat will reduce your amount of exposure greatly for both lead and asbestos.

Even with plumbing, lead was mostly used in solder for copper supply pipe, or as lead and oakem type seals, which were only used in drain lines, not supply lines.  Its biggest hazard is to the plumber installing or removing it due to the fact they have to melt the lead, and in so doing make vapors.  So if you do not have copper supply line, your plumbing is not likely to be an issue.

• wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!