Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Enhanced growth with mineral water? any success stories?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:57 AM

Well I'm doing my first PF tek tommorow morning,

And I got to thinking after reading a thread of hippies cake recipe. I have a high quality bio organic brown rice, and i've read different ideas about what water to use.
I read that hip uses lake water, I've been told non-sparkling mineral water. Others have said bottled water, and again others suggest tap.

Whist sticking to the standard pf tek, would using water from a natural body increase the fruit? If using lake water...would using water from a still body create a problem? or is any non-salt water natural body be wise?
I'm tempted to buy some good quality non carbonised mineral water, but dont know if it would actually benefit the growth at all.
Any success or horror stories would be greatly appreciated.
At this point I might just play it safe and go with tap water. (Apparently we have some of the cleanest tap water in the world where I live) so I'm going with Pythons PF tek for now.

If the consensus is that any other water is a wiser option, I might pick some up tommorow morning before i start my innoculation.

Thanks guys,

Fingers :)

#2 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:53 AM

I would think that Hip's water formula would give you the best results as it contains lots of nutrients, and his cakes are famous for producings many fruits. I haven't tried it yet, but I will for my next batch. There are numerous pictures of fruiting Hippie cakes in the vaults. If you cannot go that route, I would recommend any bottled water.

#3 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:46 AM

yeah i know what ur saying jammer,

I was kind of hoping someone could define 'lake water' as obviously the water you find in various natural bodies are often very different. I'm just not wanting to make some dumb mistake by using water from some stagnant water, or from water thats been treated in some way. I dont know, I'm just trying to maximise my growth without doing something to effect it negatively.
I think its wise i stick to the safe bet, tap or bottled water it is. Thanks Jam.

Fingers

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:10 AM

'natural' water isn't just lakes but it's just about any water that supports
fish/frogs living in it.
small streams, creeks, rivers, ponds and lakes all good.

#5 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:00 PM

'natural' water isn't just lakes but it's just about any water that supports
fish/frogs living in it.
small streams, creeks, rivers, ponds and lakes all good.

That makes it clear. My apologies for not being specific. I am kind of anxious to try it out, but I have a huge grow going right now, and it's enough of a chore to keep up with that. Shoot, I live between two rivers, so I have no excuses other than being lazy. Thanks, Hip.

#6 AKA_MoeSkizac

AKA_MoeSkizac

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

A couple years ago when i lived on the lake i would always use lake water. Now i just buy distilled water (bottled) since i no longer live near natural water sources. It did seem that while using said natural water my fruits were a bit more robust than they are now using distilled. Just my opinion though, take it for what it's worth. peace.

Moe

#7 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

that clears it up nicely guys, thankyou :)

Not meaning to be difficult....but should we be worrying about the polution factor?
For example, if some chemicals or oils were released into the waterway would that not negatively effect your grow in a big way?
I dunno, if the hipsta vouches by it, its more then good enough for me.
I guess its just first time grower nerves.

Anyway, today is the day, wish me luck!

#8 mason420

mason420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:34 PM

that clears it up nicely guys, thankyou :)

Not meaning to be difficult....but should we be worrying about the polution factor?
For example, if some chemicals or oils were released into the waterway would that not negatively effect your grow in a big way?
I dunno, if the hipsta vouches by it, its more then good enough for me.
I guess its just first time grower nerves.

Anyway, today is the day, wish me luck!

I thought about that myself and selected a lake I knew had minimal runoff from roads and yards to gather my water. Not sure if it really matters though, but if you have a choice, go for the source you feel has the fewest runoff pollutants. Ponds in golf courses are probably not the best choice, for example.

#9 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

hmmm,

I think it was the safe bet to use clean filtered water which is exactly what i did.
Some years ago I went on a road trip to Dalesford, the home of Hepburn Spa's. Hepburn spa's has taps drilled into natural mineral water waterways underground.
I remember thinking how grotesque the water tasted. Not because it was dirty or contaminated in any way, but because the minerals in the water were so strong that the water tasted borderline undrinkable.

Hepburn spa's sell bottled drinking water, but i seriously doubt the bottled can be compared to the natural underground mineral springs.
If I'm ever heading out to or passing through that part of the country I'll most definately grab 15-20 litres to bring back with me.

Anyway... thanks for the info guys, and its most definately something good to know. My next grow i plan to re-invest into the set up i'm using, and stepping up the grow a notch with methods like the pond water.

Take care all!

Fingers

#10 mason420

mason420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:55 PM

Well the water doesn't need to be pure. Thats sorta the point of using natural water. Lots of algae and such just turn into shroom food once the water has been PC'd. Of course, you don;t want it real chunky either.

I just meant if you had a few options, choose the one with fewer pesticides and pollutants.

#11 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:50 AM

Thats exactly my concern Mason,

The pesticides and pollutants issue. The way people dump all manner of toxic foulness is what i was worried about. I guess its the risk you take, all you can do is calculate your best guess as to where there would be less polutants.
Anyway, I really should post this question I have about my tubs. The boiling of them has loosened the lids in a BIG way. I might post it in a new thread.

Thanks again guys,

Fingers

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!