wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

I have an on going thread with more information here

https://mycotopia.ne...ntre/?p=1152414

but wanted to know if anyone knew about this stuff I breathed some in yesterday and curious how bad this stuff is

I puked yesterday so got some of it out of my system I was drinking this is why I was sick not due to the white stuff

the one chemical is neutralized with milk and I was drinking milk yesterday too just by chance

ah and the lungs is where i have concerns my lungs feel a little heavy but nothing bad I wouldnt even think to get checked out by a dr if I didnt read that this can be toxic but which chemical is used dont really sure I think this renovation could have been done in the 30s ? not positive tho

I have pictures of this stuff too but have to get them ready later

thanks for any info in advance

#2 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

be careful there.

many things you might be breathing up - there's another universe of thing at that level.

i'd borrow someone's good rubber dust mask and buy fresh filter cartridges.

or a painters mask with good fit.

or a wetted, layered, bandanna or towel.

i take deconstruction slowly.

there seems a threshold of movement-speed (not much slower than our normal movement) but that causes Much Less dust movement. (a notch on a log scale)

i try for a fresh air current and stay upwind.

i deal with a lot of wood ash - not breathing it means slow careful movement to minimize dust, watching it, and when it plumes big, walk away.

or hold my breath allot and gulp it fresh - good practice holding.

at night a strong halogen lamp pointed up from the floor or across the room shows dust in the air. or the sun /:

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Thanks buddy I used one of my scarfs today it was much better and we are almost done with this messy part

instead of walking threw it and threw it we pass things out the door to the other person

#4 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Use a dust mask, asbestos and other yucky things have been used in the past. Mostly the problem is physical damage to lungs rather than chemical, kind of like having glass shards in a tissue paper bag. Chemicals used to make sawdust less flamable, or more toxic to bugs, is a consideration but less likely to cause lasting problems.

Asbestos is actually a wonderful rock, it is only dangerous as a dust in the lungs.

Edited by Spooner, 02 March 2014 - 09:50 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#5 paph

paph

Future Sailor

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Please be careful wildedibles. If you suspect asbestos or poisonous chemicals please seek professional advice.

It's a shame I'm across the pond as I could check that building and its materials for asbestos for you.

Stay safe.:-)
  • Juthro likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

I don't think it is asbestos but you never know the board itself was a cardboard with a tiny bit of dry wall inside ?

Always be careful I thought it was just dry wall dust until looking it up might not be

I am feeling ok and I didnt inhale lots but if I have any issues I will go get some help

glad I can warn other people too best to wear a mask even if it was just sawdust thanks my buddys :)

ahh... I am almost done with this stuff still the closet to go I will be more careful removing it from here

My Dad helped us get lots more done and I have to take some more pictures........

Thanks for your help the other sawdust I had to deal with didnt have this white stuff I do not like it I kept a sample of this ball too thought I should

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Use a dust mask, asbestos and other yucky things have been used in the past. Mostly the problem is physical damage to lungs rather than chemical, kind of like having glass shards in a tissue paper bag. Chemoicals used to make sawdust less flamable, or toxic to bugs, is a consideration but less likely to cause lasting problems.

Asbestos is actually a wonderful rock, it is only dangerous as a dust in the lungs.

and this stuff is in a bunch of stuff I am not positive if I have any my old stuff says wool but I know pipes can have insulation and boilers

this wall board u rip it and u feel fibers come loose ... I try and cover my face or not breath leave the room for a bit

but with all the insulating of walls and ceiling in this old house mask or no mask stuff got in try to avoid to breath dont last long

I am taking a break for the rest of the night I am done I covered my face doing it today and my Dad finished up while I helped get rid of the garbage this is another thing I do not like about renovating garbage

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

They used to use what was called wallboard or paper board.  Both had asbestos in them for fire suppression and the fact it made the product more ridged and easier to use.   If you are cutting, breaking, sanding or doing anything with these products that makes dust, you need to think about what you’re doing.   This stuff can be bad news.

Back in the day they used asbestos in everything.  It’s a hell of a product, and it only causes problems when you mess with it and make dust.   IMO that is of much more concern then whatever is in your sawdust insulation.

I’m not sure about the laws where you live, but I know a lot of places classify those products as hazardous waste and it not legal to just toss it in the trash anymore.   At the very least please use dust masks, if you don’t breathe this stuff it won’t hurt you.  It’s not a supper fine particulate, a dust mask will stop it.  Please, PLEASE use them, they are cheap.    Mesothelioma  and asbestosis not so much, they can cost more than you want to pay.

Please be careful Wilde.  Wishing you and yours health and happiness.

• wildedibles and Spooner like this

#9 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

I think you will be fine Wilde, don't worry just be cautious. Asbestosis and Mesothelioma mostly are contracted over time by people who receive repeated exposure, somewhat similar to tobacco. One siggy will not kill you, but with 20 years smoking danger lurks.

Use mask, be careful, but do not worry afterwards.

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

I agree with Spooner on this, as I reread my last post I might have been a little heavy on the doom and gloom.   Signs of the illness often don’t show them self for 20 to 50 years, and it is long term repeated exposure that carries the greatest risk.

I didn’t mean to scare anyone, but you should defiantly use caution and limit your exposure as best you can.  Its nasty stuff, please use a dust mask.

• wildedibles likes this

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:51 AM

My hubby was working removing old boilers cheap work for the day but they removed 3 befor I found out all the pipes had asbestos they all just had painting masks I told hubby he not working doing that anymore

I will get a mask today they sell them here in town somewhere ;) I was thinking tho r the ones at the dr office good? better than the painting masks I can get ? cause i would go over and get one of thoes :) I think it will hug the face better and keep more crap out

one thing I have always done working on this house if u quit for the day strip all the clothing and wash and shower get all that stuff off less issues when u r not breathing it off your clothes too

and yes this is very serious but also know that if you r working at doing this for a job you dont get sick for a long time its the future ...this is why this was such a great product till now ;) all the statistics are in and its bad

we put all this stuff outside till we can take the bigger pieces to the dump but the smaller board that was broken up further (did this away from my face cause i was curious thought it could be that type of board?)

the ones that were broke up went out with the garbage this week

this is the part I hate about reno's the most is the waste it creates that is now hazardous waste

Thanks guys for all your help :)

I was reading some more the one chemical that could be the white stuff just causes irritation some complications if u eat the stuff but i am not eating that much no matter what unless I have a big old gas mask type thing some gets threw but  any mask is better than none

I worked a bit yesterday at it and so did my Dad he had nothing didnt want anything wont listen to nothing ;) anyway I had my scarf it was a thin fibre but close together better thread count to keep particles out but it kept sliding off I have glasses and glasses and masks or scarfs etc dont work when u cannot see nothing due to fog build up ;)

but when I took my glasses off I had eye irritation so back on they went I should have realized when my glasses were constantly getting more and more dirty with this white chalk

yesterday I read that to put this stuff on you get it wet so the dust does not fly ;) so today I am buying a spray bottle I have none that work grrr

just water sprayed on it will weigh it down so it cant fly ;)

here is a few pieces of the stuff the rest is dust u will find pieces like this threw out the wall I kept a few so if i have any lung issues I can show what the white powder is

IMG_0851.JPG IMG_0857.JPG

I wanted to put a warning out there for people so thanks for being serious and to tone it down too cause u dont want to over worry when there is nothing that can be done after the damage so :)

Wear a mask it might not just be chalk even if it is dont breath dust particles

I think steam can get it out of the lungs too cough it up better but with asbestos once the fiber is in there it is cutting 

when I was doing the ceilings in the other half of the house some of the fibers felt like this in the insulation stuff is nasty I had a mask for that but it gets around but mask = better protection

Edited by wildedibles, 03 March 2014 - 07:28 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#12 paph

paph

Future Sailor

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

[size=NaN][font=calibri] At the very least please use dust masks, if you don’t breathe this stuff it won’t hurt you.  It’s not a supper fine particulate, a dust mask will stop it.  Please, PLEASE use them, they are cheap.

Are we saying that asbestos fibres are not super fine? Because they are (mere microns) and a standard dust mask will sadly not protect against them. Even mask filters made for asbestos removal operatives only protect you up to a certain level.

Please, if any of you suspect asbestos during a renovation project, seek professional advice. They will be able to advise you on the material/asbestos type and the best way forward for safe removal and disposal.

Peace.:-)
  • Erkee, wildedibles and Juthro like this

#13 paph

paph

Future Sailor

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

Wildedibles, it's hard to tell from the pics what that chalky material is, I wish I was closer so I could get it checked out for you and the wall board material too.
  • wildedibles likes this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

[size=NaN][font=calibri] At the very least please use dust masks, if you don’t breathe this stuff it won’t hurt you.  It’s not a supper fine particulate, a dust mask will stop it.  Please, PLEASE use them, they are cheap.

Are we saying that asbestos fibres are not super fine? Because they are (mere microns) and a standard dust mask will sadly not protect against them. Even mask filters made for asbestos removal operatives only protect you up to a certain level.

Please, if any of you suspect asbestos during a renovation project, seek professional advice. They will be able to advise you on the material/asbestos type and the best way forward for safe removal and disposal.

Peace.:-)

They do make paper masks that are designed for asbestos use, they are labeled n95.  But you are correct they only work to a certain degree, and do not filter everything.   They are not as effective as a respirator type filter.  But they are far better than using nothing.

Even if you have a respirator filter, you have to have HEPA rated filters on it if you want to filter asbestos.

3M also makes a paper type mask labeled 8511 for inspection of asbestos, but it is not made for demolition type use.

• paph and wildedibles like this

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

I am thinking they use the same type of stuff for mass sawdust insulation at a certain time frame around here well there is only 2 recommendations for chemicals to be used I linked the info I found up there

I got dust masks the better ones I could find ... need to asses the room again and remember what all needs to be done today

Professional advice for the board I think I can do that find out how now cause there is still a few rooms that need to be done I even think there is some legal info on my insurance or when I bought the house to remove all this I am sure I can get help from professionals even If I cannot afford it there is many people that can help you just have to try  :)

I will take a picture of the board closer too

here is a further away picture I already had need to take some more closer pictures of it but I have friends in this line of work they could help me with this stuff

post-121976-0-40622100-1393874459.jpg

post-121976-0-46839400-1393874481.jpg

I think the ceiling tile is this stuff too but we didnt break them up but falling is bad enough Dad kinda took them all down yesterday I just got out of his way and cleaned up

Edited by wildedibles, 03 March 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#16 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

that's a very nice bar.

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:15 AM

ya too bad we dont have a medium bar ;) have this tiny one and the big bad ass one I cannot lift well lol ;)

#18 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:33 AM

post-121976-0-01576800-1393921468.jpg

Here is a nice close up view

and another

post-121976-0-92018400-1393921498.jpg

and a view of the layers

post-121976-0-91851500-1393921566.jpg

more pictures on this thread https://mycotopia.ne...ntre/?p=1152825

post-121976-0-06236400-1393921375.jpg

Edited by wildedibles, 04 March 2014 - 03:34 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!