59 replies to this topic

#21 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Here are a couple more pictures from the containers I use for cakes.

The first pic is just a pretty cake, even after I picked some aborts and handled it roughly.

The second pic really illustrates the variance in Falbino fruit pigmentation. It is all over the map. Note the two larger fruits, and they don't even look like they should be on the same cake.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-03-08 11.26.42.jpg
  • 2014-03-08 11.28.01.jpg

• MycoDani, Dr.Hallucination and PsyBearknot like this

#22 BlackPeter17

BlackPeter17

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,350 posts

Donator

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Crazy man, I do like the color of the caps!

Questions regarding harvesting cakes:
Do u pick the entire cake clean of anything that grew or was growing?
After the dunk can u cut away any funky looking tissue? How do u clean up the cake prior to fruiting again?

#23 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

I like to pick everything at once. Then I remove any additional fungal tissue (you don't want that stuff to rot on the cake) and dunk for 24 hours or so. Try to avoid scraping or cutting the cake, as it takes the mycelium longer to recover from that. Rinse the cake under a faucet, wrap it in a paper towel for a few seconds to remove excess water, and return it to the fruiting chamber for another flush.
  • BlackPeter17 and 3S1 like this

#24 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

I forgot to mention that this was a batch of 12 cakes. So far I have harvested about 40 grams dry, and this is the first flush from multispore, and I still have a few cakes that are not quite ready to pick.

I have dunked the previously harvested cakes and returned them for another flush. I
have also taken some prints for future endeavors (learn to print efficiently; it is a key to the hobby). I can usually get at least 3 or 4 flushes before the mycelium begins to die. The harvests will vary, but I will yield at least a dry ounce per flush. So that is a quarter pound of shrooms, which should get me through a Sunday afternoon.

Thanks to all the good folks who participated in this thread. Good vibes on all your projects.

Peace--Jammer

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-03-09 07.44.10 (1).jpg

Edited by MLBjammer, 09 March 2014 - 07:10 AM.

• Sidestreet, MycoDani and 3S1 like this

#25 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

And, of course, any and all comments are welcome still. I worded that last post like I was closing this puppy down.

Sorry if I confused anybody.

#26 BlackPeter17

BlackPeter17

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,350 posts

Donator

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

Haha! Cheers man!
  • MLBjammer likes this

#27 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Nice jammer! After reading Dr Elfstones thread on his work with ps. Mexicana that recently bumped into the thread feed here I have been interested in working with them. I think this method will work just fine. I've been looking for a smaller mushie to work with. I have a great spot for them just size constricted. I had been considering the invitro method but I just SOOO love the beautiful look of a non invitro traditional grown mushroom.
Just wish one of our vendors carried the spores.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#28 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

These will work fine for mexicana or tampanesis (the sclerotia producers), I have been told, but I have not tried it personally.

I think these containers are a viable option for some other exotics, too, as TCO mentioned, and I have a couple experiments upcoming.

But I have run these containers with at least a dozen different strains of cubensis, and all fruited nicely. I have been using the containers for several years, so it's tried and true.

And it works in a very small space, no doubt. In this hobby, you gotta love stealth.
  • 3S1 likes this

#29 BlackPeter17

BlackPeter17

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,350 posts

Donator

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

Again I'm just confused as to harvesting a cake and distinguishing the difference between healthy pins, unhealthy pins, primoridia, aborts, and fruit.

When harvesting do you clean all of the above mentioned, or just the mature fruits and aborts. For instance on a cake I have counted over 100 pins, dozens of aborts, and 7-12 fruiting bodies. The aborts turn black but pins and knots stay white? I'm confused because I read to leave pins and knots... Thanks for any further clarification.

#30 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

If you can dunk the cake without knocking off the small pins, you can leave those be.  Remove mature fruits and aborts.  Not damaging or removing small pins is sometimes difficult, though.  If you picked the cake clean, another complete flush would occur.  Just handle the cake gently.

#31 BlackPeter17

BlackPeter17

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,350 posts

Donator

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

I was just reading and ran across this quote. I think you like it, it made me think of this thread!

"simplicity is the highest form of sophistication." -leonardo da vinci

as far as the plastic containers go I feel when you strip everything away and have a basic method, then you can experiment and test variables. this form of experimenting can debunk old myths and also break new ground. in an environment where there are other variables present experiments will not hold as much value.

Edited by Direwolf13, 18 March 2014 - 12:37 PM.

• MLBjammer and coorsmikey like this

#32 Cabbit

Cabbit

Psilly Naughty Corner

• Expired Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

This strain looks great, definitely something I'd like to try one day. Luv the pics.

• MLBjammer likes this

#33 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Falbinos are a nice strain.  Pretty potent and some big fruits.

Yes, this method will allow you to experiment with different variables and species.  I am going to give psilocybe semperviva a run on these in the near future.  It should work fairly well, except I will have to tend casing layers and provide a little extra FAE.

And Old DaVinci knew a thing or two.  I bet he had a couple FCs somewhere in his art room, lol.

• Cabbit and 1967FordTitus like this

#34 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

FUN WITH PP5

My version of your deli container set up.
I will try out the next brf cake that comes my way

Bottom is a 2 cup round
Top is a 4 cup tall round
Slit the thread ring in the tall container in 4 spots so that it will slide down over the bottom containers thread ring and hold in place.

Should work well in theory....

And this little tub

http://mobile.walmar...t-of-6/17164545

will hold 6 of these pods pretty snugly for a fairly discrete set up for a 1/2 dozen cakes.
Bet one could get a fat little personal continual harvest of 3 cakes every 2 week or 6 cakes every 4 week harvest and replace type rotation.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#35 BlackPeter17

BlackPeter17

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,350 posts

Donator

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

since its PP5 I wonder if you could noc up the pint with some pans using poop cakes, case and cap with the quart and fruit.  the only problem I see is standing water.  what could you use as a drip shield?

#36 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

You can easily stack those, too, so double the amount you were thinking, Psy, especially if you are using the tote to hide them. The pints work about as well as the quarts. Two weeks maximum you would need to harvest those in fruiting mode, as they mature must faster than traditional invitro. Believe me, this method will supply you with fruits until you get tired of making cakes, lol. Thanks for sharing, and let us know how it goes.

Wolf, you could take half-pint poo cakes and fruit them in the quarts. You would need to provide a few air exchanges here and there, but the quarts would function well as a fruiting chamber.

#37 Omni626

Omni626

Omnitopiate

• Expired Member
  • 124 posts

Donator

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:50 AM

You all are very amazing! Wonderful thread! Someday I hope to be as great as all of you ! Hats off to all of you! And don't day when I do become affluent in mycology lol I think I used that word in the right context but yea some day when I'm a seasoned mycologist I won't forget where I came from and to help others who need it :) thanks guys
  • coorsmikey and BlackPeter17 like this

#38 BlackPeter17

BlackPeter17

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,350 posts

Donator

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

This method is so useful as it produces healthy fruits while utilizing the neglect tech. You could literally dunk, case, and throw em into one of these containers then place them on the shelf and go away for ten days on vacation, and come home to fruits!

Forget about complicated systems that require plugs, and monitors and such. Especially when your learning like me. If after you try u wish to invest more time with a humidifier and fruiting chamber then go ahead! Set up a Martha if you want to!

quart jars/containers for cakes and grow bags from outgrow for bulk. It's effienct, cheep and gets you where you want to be!
  • Omni626 likes this

#39 Omni626

Omni626

Omnitopiate

• Expired Member
  • 124 posts

Donator

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

AWSOME thanks Direwolf13! It's like it's foolproof lol well maybe not foolproof but the simplicity is great ! I think I'm going to try this if my back up B+ 's fail , I sure hope the jars I got now will prevail lol if not just keep doing this again and again and again till I get it right I guess lol. :)
  • coorsmikey likes this

#40 BlackPeter17

BlackPeter17

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,350 posts

Donator

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

I feel strongly that the first cake you birth should go right into one of these like MLB. Put it on a shelf and watch it grow.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!