• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hungryjim

hungryjim

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

...or so I hear. Here in suburbia I am met with a metal pipe sticking out of the ground, that (my 90 year old Grandmother says "is the well" (for garden irrigation). Has anyone set up a manual pump?? How can I? -thanks for your brain space...
Hj...

#2 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Tie a washer to a string and drop it down the well, if the string comes back up wet there is water in the well. Hand pumps work on suction so it can not be too deep, 25 feet is pushing your luck. The pump usually has a leather gasket which must be wet in order work correctly, (prime the pump). So leave a dipper full of water by the pump for priming. All the critical parts are in the pump head which is just screwed onto the pipe, making an airtight seal.

Edited by Spooner, 10 March 2014 - 07:31 PM.

• hungryjim, AGAMA, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,427 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

If it is a well casing, Lehmans sells multiple types of hand pumps depending on the amount of lift you need to bring the water up.   You can pull water from up to 200’ by hand(or windmill), but the deep lift units will cost you dearly.  Shallow well pumps (20’ or less) are a lot cheaper though. 

Be careful if you uncap a well that you don’t contaminate the aquifer it feeds from.   If you do you could be held liable for any damages from anyone else that draws from the same aquifer.   That’s BIG bucks. 

Edited by Juthro, 11 March 2014 - 12:23 AM.

• hungryjim, bigjimmy and Spooner like this

#4 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

Juthro is correct. Deep wells have the pump at the bottom, and push water up to the top, rather than working on suction. They require a casing and inside of the casing the actual water pipe with pump attached at the bottom.

Unlikely that Granny had a deep well.

From Lehman's site:
"Green Hand Cistern Pump
This cistern or pitcher pump will lift water from up to 20' down. Just screw on 1" drop-pipe, slip into well and bolt down. 15-3/4"H, 15 lb. Imported." $60.

...but Deep well pumps are $450 and up.

Great reference Juthro, thanks. They have lot of cool old homestead/farm stuff that I remember fixing, including replacement, precut leather gaskets $5, but you can make your own out of scrap leather lying about.

http://non-electric....Hand Well Pumps
  • hungryjim likes this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,427 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Spooner, I really like Lehmans also, they always have cool toys to looks at and drool over.  They are quite popular up here where I live, as there are a quite a few folks with cabins that are off the grid.

I also agree that it is unlikely that it is a deep well.    The  pitcher pumps you describe are nice, they work well (no pun intended), and are quite affordable.   As long as you didn't have to lift the water a long ways that would be the way to go.

Being able to get clean water without being on the grid is a nice thing.

Edited by Juthro, 11 March 2014 - 09:12 AM.

• hungryjim likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!