#1 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Been playing most of my life and recently began taking lessons to go back and get some of the basics I never learned playing it by ear all my life. Anyhow been working on Kansas Dust in the wind for the last two weeks. I had been sort of playing it for at least twenty years, but learning this whole Travis Picking technique has been damn hard after letting my fingers pick wherever they felt like it most of my life. Trying to retrain these old fingers has been hard but finally got it down, the picking pattern anyhow.

This has definitely been the hardest challenge yet, but got the first two thirds of it down now and working on the bridge. I want this one bad and trying to learn to sing along with it as I go. This is one I want in my pocket.

So far in 4 lessons I have learned Led Zeps Tangerine, Santana's Black magic woman, and now Dust in the wind. Taking lessons has been damn rewarding already, and I am quickly putting together a skill base that will help me in my endeavor to move from rhythm to lead. Trying hard to get a better foundation and got a lot more tricks in my bag than I had just two months ago already.

Life has been pretty damn fun lately, and learning is keeping it all fresh and enjoyable. It's all a growing experience.

Peace and hope ya'll are having a groovy day.

was going to post a youtube link, but no go???? WTF? Go look it up and give it a listen, some intricate picking there...

• -=Zeus=-, nomadicAI, burp and 1 other like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,563 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

And you should be proud of what you are accomplishing Coop. I have only admiration for those who have the perseverance to learn to play an instrument. I can create visual art, but I am afraid my musical abilitys are limited to bongos and air guitar.

Stay with it. (like you need encouragement) 

• Coopdog likes this

#3 Jeff3

Jeff3

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Very cool picking.

• MLBjammer and Coopdog like this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,476 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

I play... or I played.  I finally got a Taylor, and now I don't have a chance to pick it up.  Life is funny sometimes... but not always "ha ha" funny.  I picked up a hell of an apppreciation, though, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  "Dust in the Wind" is a beautiful song.  Keep jamming, man!

• Coopdog and gremlinchode like this

#5 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:35 AM

Been playing music all night. Talked to an old friend and put the phone on speaker and laughed and played for a couple of hours for him. It was a blast.

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:39 AM

Here is my Dean Bolero electric guitar in quilted Siberian maple and my new Paul Reed Smith. Love the inlaid mother of pearl birds up the fretboard of the PRS.

I got 4-5 more in the other room, been doing linoleum in here so they are not here at the moment

Attached Thumbnails

• guitars.jpg.jpg

Edited by Coopdog, 30 March 2014 - 02:43 AM.

#7 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:19 AM

I have heard good things about the PRS acoustic guitars.  What do you think of yours, Coop?  That inlay is very nice, BTW.

I have played guitar for about 25 years.  I learned by ear and from other pickers, took lessons for a little while, got serious about it for a few years, and nowadays mostly play around the house to amuse myself.  I was always more of a rhythm/solo acoustic guy/singer, but I can play some lead.  Played in blues bands, bluegrass bands, Dead cover band, my own band briefly, and none of those groups ever did anything much.  But it was fun and left me with some mostly good memories.

The only ax I have left is my Martin dreadnought, but I used to have a Strat and a Tele.

Anyway, glad to hear you are going back to the woodshed.  It sounds like you are a more advanced player than just relearning tab to some songs; I would suggest diving into some music theory to push yourself.  But the main thing is to have fun with it.

#8 AGAMA

AGAMA

Open Your Eyes And Realize That We Are One

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

I have a friend who demonstrated Travis Picking to me

a couple of months ago. AMAZING technique!!

Also an interesting way to seem to get more music from the guitar 

in the same amount of time(with MORE effort, of course).

I'm not musically inclined myself,

preferring rather to enjoy the efforts of others.

• MLBjammer and Coopdog like this

#9 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

I played a dozen guitars the day I bought my PRS including a couple of expensive ones in the three thousand dollar range, and liked the ring of the PRS better hands down than any of them.

The music theory is exactly what I started taking lessons for. Been trying to get it thru my thick skull and it is coming a little at a time. Finally found someone who could explain the whole 1-4-5 thing in a way I could understand. Now trying to go back and put sticky notes on all my chords because I can play many chords but do not know what the name of them is outside the basic first position chords. Trying hard to memorize the fret board notes and got the concept after memorizing the top two strings up to the 12th fret so I can find the key to a song. Huge thing being able to find the key, that is what opened up the whole world of music to me.

Yep one of the best things I ever did was to refocus myself on music. Gave me a great outlet for any sort of emotion I am dealing with. The wife said the other night she could not believe how much my playing has improved in just a short time.

I play every single night now, and grab my guitar and throw it on the bed as I come in the door at night. It sure is nice to see improvements. Like making gains lifting weights but even more rewarding. This is progress I can see and hear. :)

In the other room I got an old American made strat, a Fender Resonator guitar, a Gibson acoustic, and my favorite and main player, my old Alvarez Regent Classic deluxe acoustic. I need to get my guitar tree back in here :)

PEace...

Edited by Coopdog, 30 March 2014 - 03:44 PM.

• MLBjammer, AGAMA, Spooner and 1 other like this

#10 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

I played bagpipes for awhile, might have been more musically useful learning something like guitar.

As the British say, "A gentleman, is some one who knows how to play the Bagpipes, and doesn't."

Interesting thread Coop, thanks.

• Coopdog likes this

#11 roadtripper

roadtripper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

I play the bass, been playing for about 5 years now, not the best at it but the music theory class I take in school has helped tremendously, it's fun just jamming and stuff but being good makes it a great experience. Learning theory is probably the best thing you can do for yourself musically because you could pick up a variety of instruments by learning it. Good luck with the guitar stuff!

#12 gremlinchode

gremlinchode

Fed after Midnight

• Expired Member
  • 806 posts

Donator

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

I love the guitar but have no skills, my old man is pretty darn good, and I saw this guy live trace bundy he is a friend of the family's son in law, It peeled my wig back.  He uses some playback features to create a melody of him self playing while he is playing.  

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

• Coopdog likes this

#13 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

wow that is cool! Look up Andy McKee doing "Drifting"  can't post links in here or I would link you. Another unique take on playing guitar. CandyRat records has some incredible players too.

• gremlinchode likes this

#14 Jeff3

Jeff3

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

This one....???

[Direct Link]

Edited by Jeff3, 30 March 2014 - 10:20 PM.

• Coopdog, AGAMA and gremlinchode like this

#15 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

That's the one! :) Interesting style there huh? Thanks for posting the vids I mentioned. Dunno why I can't seem to do so. PEace...

Edited by Coopdog, 30 March 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#16 Jeff3

Jeff3

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

I would say. Very unique.

#17 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

This guy was one of the pioneers that helped refine and popularize that touch style/tapping guitar stuff: 

[Direct Link]

• Coopdog and gremlinchode like this

#18 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

That is very cool! Thank you for that addition. Incredible style. I was making some cool sounds tripping on acid one night trying to imitate Andy McKee's style. Nothing approaching him, but was pretty different for me. So many ways to go with a guitar, the possibilities are many indeed.

#19 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

Well I got an inflamed flexor tendon in my left thumb from the repetitious action of my job that is sort of hampering my guitar practice. Not able to put in the practice time that taking lessons requires so I gave up the lessons for a while. I have been getting a lot out of the youtube lessons though and I have been learning some new songs like AC/DC's back in black, highway to hell, For those about to rock and hell's bells. Getting on top of playing and singing Bad Company Feel like making love and Marleys No Woman no cry this weekend.

Still playing daily and enjoying it immensely. I cannot tell you how rewarding my practicing has been and finally being able to play all those songs I have loved all my life. I had been playing the bulk of Pink Floyd's Wish you were here, and through youtube I got the beginning lead to it which greatly improves the overall song for me. It has been interesting.

ALso just started back to school and taking a CNC machine milling class. Been on a quest to improve my knowledge in more way than one :)

• MLBjammer likes this

#20 PHLIPS

PHLIPS

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 114 posts

Donator

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

hi,i played guitar in a classic rock band for over ten years.then our drummer died of a heart attack.haven't really played much for the last ten years.cant seem to find the time any more.i feel guilty when i here certain songs .i mess around.i have always liked zakk wylde. that sound comes natural to me.now guitar is like darts and pool.if i catch the right alcohol buzz i look like i know something.then it runs out.im not much of a drinker anymore.but i enjoy seeing someone truly get off on music.its a great high.i recommend it to any one.i was shy when i started.our bass player always gave me two double shots of tequila .that would kill the shy.then i started feeding on the crowd as they fed.what a great experience.no alcohol could do that.

• MLBjammer and AGAMA like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!