54 replies to this topic

#21 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

Glad to hear you are still at it, Coop.  Playing guitar is like a video game that you never have to start over.  I have been picking a bit more myself of late.

Here's some good guitar playing, David Grier (the flatpicking master):

[Direct Link]

• Coopdog, AGAMA and nomadicAI like this

#22 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:52 PM

my little nephew has been taking lessons. even gonna make him a guitar cake for his 11th bday saturday. my 4 year old nephew can actually play the drums too! im gonna get me a little band together. just need to start the 6 year old on the guitar as well.

• Coopdog and PHLIPS like this

#23 AGAMA

AGAMA

Open Your Eyes And Realize That We Are One

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:35 PM

...just need to start the 6 year old on the guitar as well.

...or the keyboard.

• Mrs.Hippie3 likes this

#24 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:16 AM

Wow David Greer is awesome. Love it! I still play every night and in the last three years I have probably only missed 3-4 nights out of all that time. I figure if I put in the time I will reap the rewards, so that is what I am doing. Sometimes it feels like I am stagnating on some things, but the reaction of others tells me I am on the right track. ;)

Mrs. Hip, get em what they need, because music feeds the soul. Learning it will give them a confidence that not much else can equal.

Peace....

• MLBjammer and AGAMA like this

#25 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:18 AM

Yes, start the kids out early.  My six-year old has three guitars, a harmonica, and drums.  He loves music, like his dad.

David Grier is fantastic and unique.  Kind of the next generation's Clarence White, I guess.

This dude makes you want to never play again he's so good:

[Direct Link]

• Coopdog likes this

#26 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

I recently picked up a sweet 12 string that has effectively stolen my heart. I rarely play anything else now lol.

• Alder Logs likes this

#27 nomadicAI

nomadicAI

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 346 posts

Donator

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

I played for a few years in high school and then went to music school for a year. Then I gave up for a long time, but recently was inspired to begin again. I bought myself a new stratocastor because I just love playing on an electric, not because I like playing lead a lot, but because I love the sound, and the feel of the neck in my hand.

Ironically though, I like playing fingerpicking pieces a lot and these are the pieces I am concentrating on at the moment:

Dream Theater - Beneath the Surface

Ozzy Osbourne / Randy Rhoads - Revelation Mother Earth

Randy Rhoads - Dee

Pink Floyd - Us and Them

Kenny Sultan - Hideaway Blues

If I get motivated enough I might even give sight reading a go again sometime!

• Coopdog likes this

#28 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,072 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

I recently picked up a sweet 12 string that has effectively stolen my heart. I rarely play anything else now lol.

Ah, twelve string disease.  I know what you mean.  Remember, I warned you.

#29 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

Relation mother Earth is one of the things I had been working towards with my lessons. Dust in the Wind was a hell of a hard song to nail and even still I have trouble getting thru it without flubbing up that precise Travis picking.

#30 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

Revelation Mother Earth was of of my favorite guitar solos to learn, I still remember most of it almost 15 years later! Randy Rhoads was superb. 

• nomadicAI likes this

#31 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,072 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

I pick mostly with my thumbnail.  Too bad the other hand is all thumbs.

#32 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:22 PM

Been playing around with Led Zep's "Going to California this evening. I can grab ahold of that some even the first time trying. Interesting tuning...

• nomadicAI likes this

#33 burp

burp

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

jumped on the fingestyle wagon myself recently and becoming obsessed with learning eveything. play every day at least 1-2 hours, some up to 5-6.  Im playing a gs taylor mini for the moment but i would really love a great solid and proper guitar (size of the gs mini is not as comfort for my shoulder to sit onto the body and play) and planning to go and play\listen a lakewood m14 and a martin OO-15m but for some reason am leaning towards the lakewood beforehand only by the videos ive heard it on but will see. got to gather the money as well :P been playing since a kid but now i got serious about it and will try to remain hopefully. keep on jamming guitar lovers. 

• Coopdog and nomadicAI like this

#34 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

My main guitar has (and probably always will be) an early 80's Alverez acoustic, with a mahogany body and rosewood neck. It is between strings at the moment. My aunt gave it to me when I was 10, and it is probably the only thing I have owned that long that is still in perfect condition. I have a 76' Telecaster, and an 74' American Strat, both live in my closet, and I almost never play them. I keep telling myself that I am going to learn better lead guitar, maybe this next year I will buckle down.

I really wish I had learned to play the keyboards, everyone loves a good keys player. Music is awesome medicine!
  • Coopdog and nomadicAI like this

#35 nomadicAI

nomadicAI

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 346 posts

Donator

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:39 PM

Been playing around with Led Zep's "Going to California this evening. I can grab ahold of that some even the first time trying. Interesting tuning...

Cool song! :)

#36 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

TR, my favorite for over 30 yrs is my old Alvarez Regent classic deluxe acoustic. Drug It across country with me 3-4 times and somehow no matter what pretty looking guitars I have, I keep going back to that one for that deep and muddy tone it has

My guitars at present:

Got an Ibanez 12 string acoustic

Alvarez Regent Classic Deluxe acoustic

Gibson Acoustic

Fender Resonator Acoustic

American made Fender Strat

Dean Bolero in quilted Siberian Maple

Paul Reed Smith Angelus SE acoustic

Also got a mandolin and harmonicas in 7 diff keys some drums and tambourines and a nice PA system. Hell our bedroom is set up like a studio lol

That's it for now :)

Edited by Coopdog, 10 October 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#37 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:44 PM

Added a cool new song to my play list tonight. Marshall Tucker's "Can't you see?" very basic and some cool new tricks in it too. One I have always known, just did not know I did. ;) Tried to paste the youtube version of it on here but no go I reckon.

Peace...

#38 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,562 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:12 AM

So recently I went to guitar center and they had a doublenecked Epiphone just like Jimmy Page played in so many of my favorite Led Zep songs. I damn near got sucked in, but upon reflecting on it I realized it would just be a really cool and under utilized ornament. But it got my attention, and made me think about upgrading some stuff. I decided that upgrading my amps would be my best bet dollar for dollar.

I did some research and decided I would like to upgrade my 20 watt Fender Mustang amp. The presets were the selling points. I went tonight and bought a 100 watt Fender Mustang with a hundred presets compared to the 10 on my previous amp. Came home and went though the  whole hundred presets and enjoyed them all.

The mama approves and that makes me happy too. This will be a fun one to feel out.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#39 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

I have been playing for 45 years now, and my hands are slowly giving up. My fingers lock when I squeeze and are really stiff for about half the day.

I still play every day, but it isn't like it used to be.....I guess nothing is.

I got an Ibanez g10 cheap-o about 10 years ago and it was so beautifully perfect in sound I got rid of two electric Gibsons I had. 

I learned to play the ukelele while I was in Hawaii, and that was very cool.

Played the banjo ever since Deliverance.

I would never give up, and neither should anyone. Music is the best tonic there is. You can get there playing or listening.

I took one lesson, from Jorma Kaukonen, highly recommend his music classes if you like finger picking.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#40 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,072 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

I'm a total duffer, but my thrift store Fender 12 string is always within arm's length of my easy chair and my stiff old fingers.  Only one key: C.  All the notes I need are in those first three frets.  De d' de de de de de di dum...  Deliverance!  

• Coopdog and TurkeyRanch like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!