#41 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,603 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Where I'm from Deliverance is a love story ;)

• Juthro likes this

#42 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Where I'm from Deliverance is a love story ;)

Well then, damn it, squeal like a pig!

• Coopdog and Juthro like this

#43 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,603 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:28 PM

lol I bet ol Ned Beatty is sorry he went there :)

Edited by Coopdog, 19 January 2015 - 02:28 PM.

#44 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,603 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:03 AM

Man I had a blast tonight. I broke a string on my 12 string so I took my DBZ electric guitar and my new 100 watt Fender amp out to my bass player buddy's house tonight. I usually play an acoustic 12 string so this was a cool switch up.

I started out with some AC/DC, some Dirty deeds done dirt cheap, some Back in Black, some Ride on, some Hells bells, some Night prowler. My buddy heard something in the Night Prowler and told me to make it my own. I did and put in some high notes on the strum and we made our own song and recorded it. We recorded Jane's addiction Jane say's and Ted Nugents Cat scratch fever and Street rats and Stranglehold.

My buddy who plays the bass is sort of an idiot savant (with alcohol) but he has some shining moments when he has some real talent. He writes and sings a LOT of songs, and is really good a making it up on the fly. Tonight we recorded some cool shit and it was a blast, but I had to cut it short because we both have to work tomorrow and it is 3 am now. I feel something forming and coming together here and that is a really cool thing to feel. I had a blast tonight. :)

I usually play pretty acoustic stuff, but I learned a lot of good classic rock stuff as a kid, and it was fun to find my grungy roots tonight, even if I did have to feel around for them. Good stuff it was!

Peace....

• -=Zeus=-, Juthro and happy4nic8r like this

#45 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

Coop, 

What do you record on, the computer or tape?

I got separated from the guy who taught me to play, he moved to Texas and died there, quite a while ago.

We used to send tapes back a forth to add tracks, vocals, guitar, whatever the other one didn't do.

He wrote about 10 new songs a week. I played hell trying to keep up with him.

Anyway, if you do stuff on computer, and can send files, I would love to collaborate on a song or two, and my wife would quit bugging me to get off the computer and play something.

You can end up with some amazing, new shit.

I lost everything I ever recorded with him or solo in a fire in 2001, so I kind of don't save anything any more. ptsd, you know?

I played along with your Kid Rock song and it took me back to long distance jammin'. 

Cool stuff, keep it up.

#46 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,603 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

He has a cheap ass ten dollar digital recorder that you can't hook to a computer or anything, but my wife and I record on a Zoom digital recorder that you can add infinite layers of tracks on and it is pretty cool and would work for something like that. That is an interesting idea. I had another guy who used to be a member here ask me the same thing a while back but never really did anything with it. I suppose it could be done with a thumb drive or memory card right? That sounds like it could be fun bro. I got nobody much to play with here but my bass player buddy and he is kinda weird when he drinks so the relationship is a little on the rough side if you know what I mean. What kind of music you into playing?

Edited by Coopdog, 07 February 2015 - 02:51 PM.

• happy4nic8r likes this

#47 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

I learned straight country, that lasted about until I got to intermediate status, and we were playing in bars in the sixties. I was not old enough to be in the bars and drink, but what an experience for a 17 year old kid, huh???

I play mostly finger picking folk rock, Hot Tuna, Grateful Dead, Buffalo Springfield, Bob Dylan, moving on up to Alvin Lee, Johnny Winter (rip), Eric Clapton, all blues for that matter.

I write my own songs, but have a block in recording them for some reason.

I record other peoples songs, played my way, have fun with that.

I have recording software from a couple different vendors, and I could send you a copy so we could open them up with that and add tracks back and forth.

Sounds like we need to go pm to exchange some addys.

• Coopdog likes this

#48 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:08 PM

if you had $2,500 to spend on an electric guitar of your dreams (only choice is these two) which one would you get? I always wanted the les paul, but the Barlow custom Raven would be sold to me by the Luthier himself as old stock for 1/2 off.. it is a $5k guitar. I am really having a tough decision with this.. what's you guys thoughts?  I know what the Gibson can re-sell for but unsure of the Barlow, it is a small company.

2019 Gibson Les Paul, either Traditional or Standard

1_Full_Straight_Front_36823-7965f18eae065809dca962060bfd6e75.jpg

Barlow Custom Guitars 2017 Raven (out of PA)

59927304_2538604126152879_6975348272516825088_n.jpg 59775320_329860454575921_2683730183424311296_n.jpg 59906984_345930029614712_7426702709161459712_n.jpg 60148421_672682439835342_6245584709896634368_n (1).jpg 60234023_2263463473903683_3229774303754977280_n.jpg 59816811_430605070819542_907637657499074560_n (1).jpg

Edited by wharfrat, 12 May 2019 - 08:10 PM.

#49 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,427 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:45 PM

I'm not a guitarist. But I pretend to know things about guitars sometimes. My guitar friends love Gibsons, but man that custom is pretty! Did you get to play it?
  • wharfrat likes this

#50 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:11 PM

I'm not a guitarist. But I pretend to know things about guitars sometimes. My guitar friends love Gibsons, but man that custom is pretty! Did you get to play it?

no, I wont have the chance to play it.. the guy is in philly and i'm on the west coast.. so it would be on heard buy.. although there are a few vids on you tube of his guitars being played, and they sound amazing

#51 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 158 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:03 PM

Go with whatever one calls out to you, they are both sweet guitars! Whenever I buy things like this, resell value is never a factor. I look forward to seeing which one you pick!

I've played on many guitars, super expensive ones and cheap ones, my mediocre ones sound and play just as good as the rest.
My Schecter C6 Hellraiser

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181224_193418.jpg

• wharfrat likes this

#52 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,610 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

I'm not sure what your playing goals are but you have two very different guitars featured in the photos. 

The Les Paul is a dual-humbucker setup. If you are aiming for a big, chunky, deep, rich, heavy metal tone - ala Black Sabbath / Ozzy Ozbourne / Stone Temple Pilots / Led Zeppelin - you'll love the sound.

The Barlow Custom - adds a single-coil in between the dual humbuckers. If those are the "Pearly Gates" pickups used by B. Gibson of ZZ-Top you'll get some really gritty, crunchy, tones. This guitar will have more tonal options than the Gibson right out of the case. Even if it ships with a 3-position pickup switch, a creative mechanic could swap that out for a multi-positional switch and play with various coil switching options. A little creative re-wiring and you could massively expand the tonal options available. 

Both appear to be good choices. You really need to be able to play and handle it - so you can get a "feel" for the instrument - but I've had good luck ordering an instrument just like you're considering. If it were up to me, I would lean toward the Barlow Custom. Gibson doesn't really carry the same weight they used to back in the day so as far as re-sale...........who knows. 

• coorsmikey, wharfrat and Mushinist like this

#53 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:10 AM

thanks guys for the input, and to be completely transparent here, i'm still waiting on a lil money to come my way. The barlow guitar guy was a quick, i will sell this right now for for $2,500 and i didn't have the money but told him i would soon, he said "no peoblem, we will make a deal" so i got the impression he was gonna save it for me, but didn't actually say. Gibson will always be there. 

I believe the barlow has push pull coil splitting also, Go to reverb and look up Barlow Guitars, he has some incredible guitars, way nicer than this one, but the prices are out the roof, 5k and up only... there is a video there and on you tube of one of his models. 

I like to play all of the above, plus some folk, bluegrass, country, etc.. little all over the board. I do already have a Fender strat MIM. and an Epiphone les paul studio. and a Ibanez RG3. Oh, and a couple acoustics. oh and damn, forgot I got a cheap Peavey Bass. LOL, all of them cost me less than $200.

link: https://reverb.com/shop/barlowguitars

Edited by wharfrat, 14 May 2019 - 11:12 AM.

• Mushinist likes this

#54 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,427 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:18 AM

Playing guitar is on my bucket list. Would just like to be able to get through a couple songs. Been around musicians all my life. More of roadie than a musician.
  • wharfrat likes this

#55 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,390 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

Go with whatever one calls out to you, they are both sweet guitars! Whenever I buy things like this, resell value is never a factor. I look forward to seeing which one you pick!

I've played on many guitars, super expensive ones and cheap ones, my mediocre ones sound and play just as good as the rest.
My Schecter C6 Hellraiser

I would probably never sell it, unless absolutely have too. I am more thinking of being able to leave something of value for my family when I die. Hell, they might need an extra 3k for expenses, or an heirloom to pass down to the next generations. 

And I honestly would rather have a made in the USA, than anything Chinese. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!