459 replies to this topic

#441 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:03 PM

The core issue will always be a failure to realize true identity.  The belief of people that they are separate from what they perceive is alienation from what is, so of course, they will not act in their best interests.   They will, at some deep level, know they really don't know, and at that level, live in chronic fear. 

F-E-A-R:  False Evidence-Appearing-Real. 

They fear they will come to want, and this is the petri dish of greed.   They fear that others will take what they have or want, and this is the spawn of hate.   There are not too many people on this planet.   There are too many fearful people on this planet, acting out their fears.   We simply need to cull our ignorance and false notions of who and what we are.   Conditional love is fear based.  Having said that, in not love the answer?   Conditional love is something other than love.  It's a deal we propose, a corruption.  

There is only one being we get to work on.   We need to mind our own business.   We need to do it now.   Don't tell me about the future, about the past, about fear. 

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#442 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

In Arctic, Ancient Diseases Reanimate and Highways Melt as Temperatures Hit "Frenzy" of Records

#443 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

Things look fairly gloomy on our world. 

#444 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

Everything changes.  Nothing is known.   Perception is limited.    Possibilities are infinite.

• panaho likes this

#445 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

[Direct Link]

#446 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:06 AM

Underground Methane Bubbles Create A Dangerous Natural Trampoline | @curiositydotcom

https://curiosity.co...oline-curiosity

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

#447 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

The permafrost melting is another sure sign we're heading into an ice age.   At least I keep hearing we are from some quarters.  

Someone giving you a hot foot is a sure sing you are about to lose your toes to frostbite.

Edited by Alder Logs, 19 March 2018 - 09:54 AM.

#448 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:17 AM

GOD DAMN IT ALDER!!!  Why is that when I look for old videos that you have posted, they have almost always been removed from utooob.....

If i have only my memory to rely on, I'm screwed :)

(you know I love you Alder, and I thank you for all you do my friend)

#449 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:09 AM

It's because Alphabet Inc., and their companies, Google and YouTube, must protect us from what they label "fake news."  These days, you'd almost think they own facebook and Wikipedia too.  Are we safe and free yet?

Edited by Alder Logs, 21 August 2019 - 09:11 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#450 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,366 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

I'm building a bubble around the farm... Taking applications... Bring skills, not only do girl's like guys with skills, living in a bubble will require a plethora of skills if we hope to prosper... Nunchuck skills are paramount... Followed by moonshine skills, reefer skills, mushrooms skills are pretty well covered... etc...

#451 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

PJ, please explain the relevance of your post to this thread, and why it should not be deleted.

Edited by Alder Logs, 21 August 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#452 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

Are we safe and free yet?

No, I'm not safe, or free, but I am cheap and easy :)

And I don't want to live in PJ's bubble, it smells funny.....

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#453 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,203 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:17 PM

I think the most important issue with climate change has to do with the [lack of] democratic power on this planet.

Powerful economic interests tend to work only toward the further consolidation of their power.  Little concern is borne by them toward the ills that plague society in general so long as they can continue to afford to isolate themselves from those effects.  Economists call these things "externalities."  Since I can do anything and make the consequences someone else's problem, why should I as a wealthy person, care?

Even when 99% of people want action done to change things... if the money isn't there to do it, neither is the change.

So then some might propose to level the playing-field a bit when it comes to the huge differences in economic equality.  These efforts are nearly always met by opposition from those who believe that no matter how wealthy a person is, no one else has the right to take anything from them and give it to someone else, because the common attitude is that they "earned" it.

I take a 3rd point of view - that since all of the layers beneath billionaire entrepreneurs are necessary to prop up the apex of the pyramid, we have all contributed to the wealth and abundance of our economy together.  The farmer made the food that the janitor ate who cleaned the office of the temp worker who does the paperwork for the business which provides raw materials for the industry which manufactures the products which are sold at a profit for the entrepreneur to invest in and gather returns.  And so on.

Of course, the argument ensues again, that "some people contribute more than others" and of course this is true, but as I see it we are causing suffering for all of us so long as we continue to live in fear that somebody will get something for nothing.  So we calculate, estimate, and control every last cent everywhere to be sure that it all goes where we think it belongs.

Well, how is all of that working out for everyone?  All I see on the streets of Phoenix now is poverty and homelessness.  I know it's not as bad here as in California or other states, but I am witnessing a homeless problem growing out of control.

And yet so many keep saying that the economy is great, that there is a ton of opportunity all around us and plenty of money to be made.

I think the answer is that we need to establish a base minimum that everyone gets so that no one falls below the threshold of sustainability.  Everyone needs food, clothing, and shelter before they can think about education, jobs, and income.  Expecting these in the wrong order is, of course, putting the cart before the horse.

Andrew Yang talks about something called Universal Basic Income.  If we could fund this through some kind of tax that softly flows money from the wealthiest to the poorest we could bring the poor back onto the field where they can begin to improve themselves.  Also, there is a ton of work in this world that needs to be done, but isn't because there's no one who wants to pay for it if there isn't a profitable return on the bottom line.

Allowing human beings to horde wealth like dragons does nothing good for society.  We need to lubricate the economy on the bottom end so that engine can start turning, and the power of an individual when they literally have FIFTY EIGHT THOUSAND MILLION DOLLARS (Like David Koch had when he died recently) gives individuals (who might be crazy/selfish/evil) massive amounts of undemocratic power.

Since the primary force in politics is money, then how could one argue that democracy exists in our nation so long as 1% of the people count for half?

Of course we all want to live in a clean and healthy world, but since any projects to mitigate this problem will cut into the bottom line of those who profit from its destruction, I think we have to sort the economic and political disenfranchisement of the masses first before the masses will have the power to make any change.

Edited by darci, 23 August 2019 - 09:25 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#454 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:10 PM

The battle here will not be won without first winning the minds of the "masses", the "consumer", the people.

And by "winning" I mean opening their eye to see humanity as a tiny tribe, with the power to extinguish itself, or not.

A vast universe awaits us, but we must wake up first.

Wake up.

#455 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

there is an amazing lecture on pluto tv about this topic, horrifying facts. 

#456 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:01 PM

I just logged back in to post this video.  Whether one believes or not that the cloud layer is being dicked with for climate engineering, this weekly report is a clearing house for news I find quite valuable.  Occasionally I am moved to post it here, though each week I get an inkling of things not showing up anywhere else.

[Direct Link]

#457 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

What's it called?  Is there a link?

#458 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:08 PM

What's it called?  Is there a link?

I will see if I can find it, it may have been removed by now, I shall check and see

#459 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:12 PM

an inconvenient truth

its on youtube for 2.99

full documentary on pluto tv for free

#460 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,593 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

Thanks.  I got the DVD at a garage sale. 

Things have gotten worse since that came out.  It's too bad we had the heir to the Occidental Petroleum fortune to tell us the news, while his family company was pushing natives off their ancestral lands in Colombia.    Everything that is driving the collapse of the biosphere hinges on hierarchies of which few are willing to step away.  

Good luck to us all.

Edited by Alder Logs, 01 September 2019 - 12:22 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!