#61 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,841 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

Here is a video of the Tanana river during it's break up this year. I thought it was cool :) (sorry for the pun)

[Direct Link]

• Skywatcher likes this

#62 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:42 PM

You must be impressed with the video the drones are taking. So nice and clear and vibration free. Photographers are just beginning to explore their capabilities. For only $4500 I can get a really good one but I'll have to get a new truck first, dammit.

• Juthro likes this

#63 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,841 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:09 PM

You must be impressed with the video the drones are taking. So nice and clear and vibration free. Photographers are just beginning to explore their capabilities. For only $4500 I can get a really good one but I'll have to get a new truck first, dammit.

I agree with you Pharmer, in is amazing how clear and steady the video is. But, there are quite a few things on our "need" list here that would come up before one of these. (but they are damn cool!)

#64 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

South Park covered it already.  Nothing but trouble there friends.  Get the truck.

#65 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:33 PM

hawk.png

sometimes ya just gotta give the bird back lol

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#66 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,841 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:09 PM

Nice one TCO :)

Here is the first batch of baby ducks on the lake for this season.

1st baby 6-2-15.jpg
  • Skywatcher likes this

#67 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,841 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:35 PM

I caught a pic of what I think are a bunch of little Barrow Goldeneye's taking a little break from the windy lake.
Barrow Goldeneye 2.jpg

And some marsh bird hanging out at the waters edge.

bob2.jpg bob.jpg bob3.jpg

And last but not least, a rouge escapee motering around the edges of the lake.
baby.jpg
  • TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher and Alder Logs like this

#68 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:05 PM

Regarding some ducks

A wise man once said nothing

Silently ducking

Haiku

Geshuntheit

Edited by Alder Logs, 12 June 2015 - 04:13 PM.

• dial8, Juthro and CatsAndBats like this

#69 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this fucking guy

• OG VIP
  • 11,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

"swamp donkey" now that's funny

• Juthro likes this

#70 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

Baby starlings in a nest built in our grape vine. Note the emu feathers woven into the nest. :smile:

I used to be annoyed with these birds, they wreck other birds' nests, and harass the emu, landing on their backs and pecking them or pulling out feathers. But I discovered they have a use, the other day they drove off a small hawk that was scoping out the baby ducks, and later on they attacked a full size golden eagle until if flew off.

post-114713-0-95916800-1434386026.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 15 June 2015 - 11:38 AM.

• Mycomaniac2007, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#71 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,841 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

I'm not sure that is enough of a trade off of good vs. bad for Starlings for me, but at least its something.

But it is a wonderful pic, thanks for sharing it brother. We just had some eagle action this morning ourselves. A baldy decided it was looking for some duck for breakfast.

Here on the lake I try and do my best just to observe, and not interfere with the natural order of things. I like to think of all these ducks and other birds as mine, but they are all wild. And the eagle has a nest with little ones somewhere also, so I try not to stop him from getting a meal. But it's hard to not follow some protective instincts to help my feathered aquatic friends.

The targeted duck was unfortunately one of my neighbors that had got loose and made its way to the lake. I'm not sure what kind, but I know we didn't have any wild, all white ducks out there before. Anyhow the eagle decided it couldn't pass up that easy to see target. I didn't get any pictures of the attack, it happened to fast.
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#72 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

Fuck all y'all carnivores. 

Akchully, I will admit to murdering fish and stealin' chicken embryos.

It's a wonder starlings have made it through the ages.  With a knothole in an exterior wall, I've seen 'em pile up two feet deep at the bottom of the wall between the studs.  When I got out the chipper to make those vine maple chips and the chipper was seized up.  I opened up the chip  blower I built's inspection cover to find a starling had gone into the blower through the conduit sweep I used for a chute.  He didn't weigh much when I found him. 

post-131808-0-35307200-1431200898.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 15 June 2015 - 09:37 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#73 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,841 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:16 AM

That chipper sounds like it is high maintenance. Does it do a fair job when she is running?

I ask because I have never used a PTO driven model, only the larger trailer "Brush Bandit" style chippers.

#74 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:45 AM

I would not judge all PTO chippers by the one I have.  With the help of Captain Hindsight, I would not buy this chipper shredder, but one that is a chipper only.  I would not have had to build that chip blower (because the one offered was a total POS), because most singular chippers are their own blower. 

post-131808-0-21001000-1434465933.jpg

Captain Hindsight discovers

his super power.

post-131808-0-01705500-1434466196.jpg

God bless you

Captain Hindsight!

BTW, most PTO chippers of the kind I recommend make larger chips.  While maybe not as good for the smoke house, they are better for the wood lovers wood lover lovers love.

Attached Thumbnails

• Captain-Hindsight01.jpg
  • Captain-Hindsight02.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 16 June 2015 - 02:43 PM.

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#75 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,089 posts

Donator

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

May not be a bird but I caught this little bastard doing some good in my tomato plants.IMG_20150612_125304.jpg

Edited by drmcnasty, 16 June 2015 - 10:00 AM.

• TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#76 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

There's a sphinx moth that never will be.

I found a yellow jacket nest in a little storage shack at the shop sight a few days ago (it was the little mean ones).  In early June it was already the size of a football.  I knew it would be a bad wasp year with the warm winter we had here in the PNW.  I put a can of flying insect killer in the tool box on the tractor. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 16 June 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#77 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,089 posts

Donator

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

Saved me from another chewed up tomato plant though. Fucking horn worms!
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#78 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,841 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

May not be a bird but I caught this little bastard doing some good in my tomato plants.attachicon.gifIMG_20150612_125304.jpg

Nice pic Doc!
Good to see your tomato security force is staying vigilant. May they insure you a wonderful harvest.

@ Alder: I hear you about having the powers of Epimetheus. It's amazing the clarity you can see ones mistakes when looking backwards.
Most of my personal chipper interaction has been while in the employ of a tree removal service, and it waswith a diesel powered, tandem axle trailer mounted unit, like the utility companies use. And while it could turn cord wood into chips in a few seconds, it was incredibly powerful and dangerous machine, and it hated to process anything shorter then about 8' long, or smaller then about 3 or 4 inch dia.

Probably not the right fit for your needs there either...

#79 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,870 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

Probably not the right fit for your needs there either...

Gotta match it to your horsepower. 

Mine (the chipper part of it) knows how to send short wide chunks right back at you. 

I never use the shredder.  It makes long slivers that clog the blower chute and it is way grabby.  It isn't supposed to be fed anything bigger around than your thumb. When you push a handful of brush far enough into that big top hopper to engage the 36 flails, it would like to rip your hand off.  If you're lucky, it only gets your gloves. 

#80 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 6,841 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:42 PM

So Mama moose, and a couple of young ones came to visit last night. (baby moose pic's, you know you want to look!)
4.jpg 3.jpg

Then junior fell in the lake. 5.jpg

And then got out 6.jpg

Then they left. 2.jpg

Edit: How is that for a swamp donkey salute, lol

Edited by Juthro, 16 June 2015 - 10:26 PM.

• Mycomaniac2007, Phineas_Carmichael, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!