• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 KaptinKulture

KaptinKulture

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

I am looking for a true Southern Oregon Redboy, bone white stem closed red cap dense all the pic and prints i can find look like regular cubes even in RR's cross is not what i am looking for dose anyone know what I am talking about?

Edited by KaptinKulture, 04 May 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#2 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,826 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Cube from Oregon?

To get a "true" Redboy all one needs to do is sift through the genetics provided by a reputable vendor.

Edited by cyclenaut, 04 May 2014 - 09:10 PM.

• Cue likes this

#3 KaptinKulture

KaptinKulture

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

It's not from Oregon but is produced on a large scale in that area, Cave Junction and surrounding area is famous for it's fungus production. 

#4 KaptinKulture

KaptinKulture

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

I have been trolling though site's all day.  The only one that looks even close is not a sponsor of this site so it will not be mentioned but I have my doubts it's probably just  PF red or RR's cross relabeled. 

#5 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,250 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

yeah will if you find this let me know.  I grew both Redboy (the RR cross) and PF Red and have prints for both.  that is what is sold.  My impression is that true redspore is rare to non existent.

#6 KaptinKulture

KaptinKulture

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

Like this

Attached Thumbnails

• rb-2-120x120.jpg

#7 KaptinKulture

KaptinKulture

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

Likewise Seeker I have seen a lot of dried and packaged but no spore to be found.  Some of the SO farms a very old school not the type to be chatting up the net.  

#8 Black_Swan

Black_Swan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

PM'd you KK.

• KaptinKulture likes this

#9 Star Cap

Star Cap

Conshroomer

• Expired Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

I've been wanting one of these since I seen Hyph do a kickass growlog with them. I've been infatuated since. Good luck with your hunt!!

#10 Direwolf13

Direwolf13

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,344 posts

Donator

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

Well hopefully we can get some prints circulating of the red boy as I too have been drooling over the chance to grow this strain.
  • Star Cap likes this

#11 KaptinKulture

KaptinKulture

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

:bat: There has to be someone out there with a print /clone/ LC something somewhere

• Direwolf13 likes this

#12 Direwolf13

Direwolf13

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,344 posts

Donator

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

It says in the hyphae roc style puck, log thread to look for spores of "red girl" soon to be available but this was a few years ago so hopefully it will be available on mycro soon...
  • Star Cap likes this

#13 Black_Swan

Black_Swan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

So I have a redboy print that was sent to me a while ago. This is how they turned out, when fruited...

redboy.jpg

Any idea if these are the "true/real" ones...?  ( i know that's a hard thing to distinguish from a pic ) :unsure:

Because this is the only "redboy" i have, and tbh i'm not too sure if it's one of those others mentioned already.

"Redboy (the RR cross) and PF Red."  They certainly did not drop red spores... so i'm guessing we can rule out the latter? 

Edited by Black_Swan, 06 May 2014 - 12:25 PM.

#14 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

It is believed the original red boy is lost. The original strain was from Florida and discovered by Stephen L. Peele. The problem is the red spores just don't hold up very well. Other than novelty, what does the value of finding the original strain have for you? Spore pigment mutations are not entirely uncommon.

Red Spore Producing Psilocybe Cubensis
By Stephen L. Peele

"The first documentation of a red spore producing Psilocybe cubensis was done by me. In 1982 I collected a single specimen of the "RED BOY" out in a pasture located in Cantonment, FL. When I first picked it, I noticed that the gills were off colored. I had also been collecting a wild Stropharia that looks very close to the cubensis, but once again the gills did not look right.

It was not until after I had laid all the mushrooms out from that day to take spore prints, I discovered the RED print. Picking up the mushroom and looking at it, I remembered it from the field. I immediately took a tissue clone, and placed the RED print, which was very dark and red, in a special place. I also began cultures from the red spores. The strain did in fact produce mushrooms that produced red spores.....this was true even from cultures grown from the spores.

I spoke to other people who ordered the spores from FMRC's spore bank, and they too confirmed that the mushrooms produced did in fact produce red spores. Not only did FMRC offer the "RED SPORE" producing P. cubensis, Catalog Number SO4241, but also other rare finds such as P. cubensis "Non Spore Producing" SO4242, Ps. cubensis "White Angel Hybrid SO4243, P. cubensis "Maroon Gill Hybrid SO4244, and a Psilocybe to this date that never has been written about (except by me) or named. It produces sclerotia that are blue glass-like looking. It was named the "Pscho-Sapphire" and was the color photograph in #04 "TEONANACATL", The International Journal Of Psychoactive Mushrooms (TEO), May 2003, #SO381. In 1994, when the Federal DEA destroyed P. cubensis cultures at our national culture bank ATCC, I sent out all these and many other cultures abroad. Culture banks throughout Europe, and the CBS in The Netherlands, where I also placed Ps. tampanensis SO421. The DEA knew I had more than what ATCC had, and I did not want them destroyed. In any case, the whole purpose of shipping them out of the country, was to keep them alive and going.....who knows what secrets they hold, never to be found if destroyed. All said cultures and spores were removed from FMRC's Catalog at this time.........slp/fmrc 6/13/03 was when I made this post at our old "Discussion Room" at www.mushroomsfrmc.com

I did my work under a Federal Scheduled I DEA Permit, and it was concluded that the Red Spore cubensis was just a rare condition and not some new species. The only difference in the condition was the fact the spores were red, just like the other same type spores that were "clear colored" or "Maroon colored". PF's find only proves that this condition was verified to have occurred again.

I have recently shipped Rodger Rabbit a spore print sample of the ?Red Spore? cubensis. This was done in case the live culture deposit at CBS has been lost. The following was a post I placed at Mycotopia.net: A word about me passing on the Red Spore Cubensis. Years ago, in the 80's, there were only 5 people in the world who held the one time find by Dr. Pollock, Psilocybe tampanensis. There was even word that Stamets, one of the five, had lost his. I pondered over this for several years. To me, this was not acceptable, and that the odds were not good for this sacred culture to live on. For several years I offered the spores and live culture to help insure it would live on. As things would have it, not one person who received the culture, still has it. The last person lost his in a house fire. At one time, I held 914 different strains of Ps. tampanensis that I had developed from the original culture. I had done this hoping to find a strain that would develop better spores. The original culture produced spores that were only viable for 6 months, no matter how they were held. This I felt was one of the keys as to why this mushroom had only ever been found one time. I was trying to introduce it back into the wild, by growing it outside on 50 lb. bales of straw. This was showing great promise for thousands of the mushrooms where filling the air with spores. This went on for 3 days, and then a hurricane hit and the project was destroyed. Then, stories from contacts I had, told me that the Federal DEA was going to destroy Psilocybe cultures held at our Nation's culture bank, ATCC. I knew the DEA knew, I had far more said type cultures than the ATCC. That is when I let my heart decide what was best to do. I deposited Ps. tampanensis, and many other live cultures, through out Europe. CBS being one of the more reputable. And now, this very special mushroom lives on like never before. Because I released Ps. tampanensis to the public, the other 3 or 4 people hate me with a passion. Their priceless culture (viewed by them to be worth about $2.5 million), was now not worth so much. When I found out that the Red Spore may not have made it at CBS, there was no lengthy pondering this time. I freely give it out again in hopes that it will have a better chance to live on. It has this right just by being a life form. Hell, if the Federal government can spend millions on saving a "Snail Darter" fish, I sure as hell have the right to help protect the Red Spore cubensis. Its further out there than "endangered". I'm sorry if people get upset with me because I released Ps. tampanensis or the Red Spore cubensis. My only goal is to help insure these rare mushrooms have the best chance they can have.....to live on. And the best way for this to happen is that as many people as possible have it. If you don't see it like I do, then I guess you will just stay mad. Mr. Rodger will see to it you guys get a sample if he has success. Can't think of a better bunch of guys to inoculate the world with Red Spore. And what if there was a fire at the house in Holland. And I had not made this move. Oh Oh....the Red Spore would be lost. There are some things and principles, that mean more than money." slp/fmrc

• MLBjammer and Star Cap like this

#15 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Likewise Seeker I have seen a lot of dried and packaged but no spore to be found.  Some of the SO farms a very old school not the type to be chatting up the net.  

Very easy to clone/getspores if you have access to a dried specimen.

#16 fabrique

fabrique

Storyteller

• Expired Member
  • 852 posts

Donator

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

pf red, coumbian rust, Ban Hua Thanon rust, John Allenii rust, redboy

choose your weapon, 

im into the pf red as it is from the oldest cultivated genetic line 

and ive got pf red prints ;)

Edited by fabrique, 06 May 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#17 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,250 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

I have  some PF red prints and am growing RR's Redboy  as we speak.. Regurgitating what Fabrique just told me if I got this right: "The Red spores of red boy do not show up on all prints or flushes and when one has a red print you should use it to propagate.that "   In my limited  experience Redboy caps don't always seem drop spores at all (3 of 12 caps) , the fruits are small and sparse but that was on BRF .  Soon I will have some Redboy fruits on hemp,straw,poo to compare (they are pinning now).   We shall see. Will post side by side photos (took one pic of the BRF's fruits and another pic of the "green bruising")  when I have the whole ball of wax finished..  Is it just heresay that Redboy has more effect than most other cubes (except Penis envy)?-a cube is a cube is a cube?.

Edited by Seeker2be, 06 May 2014 - 05:44 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#18 KaptinKulture

KaptinKulture

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

The dried one's I have come across have almost no open caps.  Pounds and pounds no open caps, could that lead to the increase in a effect?

#19 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

Fully expanded caps seem to be less potent weight for weight. Psilocybin production must stop or decline at some point before the mushroom is done growing.  This is why aborts are more potent also, weight for weight.

Edited by warriorsoul, 06 May 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#20 KaptinKulture

KaptinKulture

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

That's why I am looking for the true red boy, fat closed caps that are very dense.  

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!