#1 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

So I have tons of Metamucil that some of you might already no if anyone has read my first several posts in my newb seeking advice topic a few months ago. I struggled with LC's by not being able to get a jar to fully colonize. I still have yet to get a jar to fully colonize buy I have come to a conclusion based off of what worked best for me.

IMO I had the best listing them in less desirable to most desirable.

3RD KARO LIGHT WITH VANILLA

I used Karo because I liked the fact that it was clear and could see what was going on much clearer then I did the honey and after a failed honey attempt. I inoculated my first Honey jars with spores and dumped after a week when I saw no results so maybe they didn't fail and it could be I just didn't give them time but dumped them out after about a week with my initial understanding of LC fulling colonizing in 3-5 days. I soon discovered that LC could take up to a few weeks to get going using spores and several weeks to fully colonize. My first Karo LC provided produced very little mycelial growth So I tried Honey again.

2ND HONEY

My second attempt with honey had some success. I inoculated 2 jars of honey and 2 jars of Karo with colonized agar plugs. Although the Karo showed mycelial growth first, approximately 2-3 days earlier then the honey jars, once the growth started in quickly passed the Karo jar in speed and volume. And the really awesome thing that I saw was that the honey becomes very clear after colonization starts. I also noticed that every single Karo jar the mycelium floats on the top which I thought meant it was a contamn.

Coming in 1st METAMUCIL

This is the slowest of the 3 I have used so far but has provided thick mycelium and more volume then honey or Karo ever has. My first attempt was probably to rich as I didn't really measure I just dumped it in the jar. Has anyone here ever used Metamucil for LC jars?

Here are 4 jars of Whole Oats inoculated with 5 cc's of liquid culture from my Meta Jar.

u9amy4yv.jpg

Here are my LC jars and I know it's hard to tell what's going on in the Jars while in hand let alone from pictures. Jars were inoculated with colonized WBS.

JARS AT REST

Karo and of course the myc/contam is floating!

ymenupy2.jpg

Honey jar 1

4uhazuta.jpg

Honey jar 2

anesu4u3.jpg

Metamucil Jar

epu8y4ag.jpg

AFTER A SHAKE AND STIR

Karo

byhequpe.jpg

Honey Jar 1

ybe3y6u9.jpg

Honey Jar 2

zume8amu.jpg

Metamucil

8uzehyjy.jpg

Feedback?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Microbe77, 04 May 2014 - 11:58 PM.

#2 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,922 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

First I'm not even sure if the jars in the first are growing mycelium. I often see white looking stuff like that that turns green in a few days. But of course I'm just viewing a picture through a computer monitor.

Damn arm chair quarterback![attachment=1100524:index.jpeg]

Second, why metamucil? Are you looking at the psyllium as being beneficial to mycelial growth?

Edited by Cue, 08 May 2014 - 05:47 AM.

• Microbe likes this

#3 1967FordTitus

1967FordTitus

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 2,099 posts

Donator

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:07 AM

It is difficult to judge the quality of LCs through pics, but I sure love your enthusiasm and attention to detail. GGVYW! Great thread.
  • Cue and Microbe like this

#4 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

First I'm not even sure if the jars in the first are growing mycelium. I often see white looking stuff like that that turns green in a few days. But of course I'm just viewing a picture through a computer monitor.
Damn arm chair quarterback!attachicon.gifindex.jpeg

Second, why metamucil? Are you looking at the psyllium as being beneficial to mycelial growth?

Have lots of it just laying around so I figured I would give it a try and with all the ingredients I thought it would be very nutritional.

#5 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,922 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

IMO it doesn't look nutritional at all. At least not the psyllium, which is mostly what Metamucil is.

http://nutritiondata.../2?quantity=0.5

• MrGumball likes this

#6 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

It's growing mycelium better then my honey or Karo jars . It is mycelium that was inoculated from a grain jar that has sense been spawned. I have used this LC to inoculate 5 jars of oats, I inly have 4 because I dropped one and made such a mess in my fruiting/incubating chamber and it was hell trying to pull the plastic up off of the floor because I couldn't move my greenhouse as it is attached to the wall in several places because of horror stories I read of greenhouses collapsing.

u4evube7.jpg

It could be a contamination growing in there I guess. I just shook them this morning so they don't appear to be as white as the were.

I'm not saying that Metamucil is superior but that in this side by side result and if it is mycelium in the Meta Jar then it comes in 1st place for me. Now all were inoculated at 4% by volume also. The Metamucil was difficult to do as I poured it in a bowl and stirred it up until it was a sludge then drew it up in a syringe and inoculated. So it could be or probably is much higher then a 4% concentration of nutrients which could explain the slow growth at first. Maybe my honey jars and Karo jar have already been exhausted while the Meta Jar continues to have nutrition left therefore the mycelium or contam continues to grow. I'm only using it because I have 5 lbs of it.

This is my greatest challenge so far and have not really been able to get a jar full of mycelium and I have followed several teks.

Any advice?

#7 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

IMO it doesn't look nutritional at all. At least not the psyllium, which is mostly what Metamucil is.
http://nutritiondata.../2?quantity=0.5

Agreed. It's probably the carbohydrates in Metamucil and not the psyllium. But I thought that the fiber and calcium would be a food source for mycelium also.

Edited by Microbe77, 08 May 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#8 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,922 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

If you want calcium try tossing in a Tums antacid. Actually a whole one is over kill. I wouldn't go over a half and maybe only a quarter next time. The only issue I had with adding a Tums is that the myc got so thick that I played hell it to drawl up through a 14g needle.

But, to be fair I  probably should have shaken the LC jar more often than I did.

Plus in the last LC jars I ran I also added 3 drops of vitamin B complex ( a moonshiner I know swears by Vitamin to give his yeast a kick in the ass). I also added a potassium tablet to them too. Again a whole tablet was probably over kill.

• Cabbit likes this

#9 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

If you want calcium try tossing in a Tums antacid. Actually a whole one is over kill. I wouldn't go over a half and maybe only a quarter next time. The only issue I had with adding a Tums is that the myc got so thick that I played hell it to drawl up through a 14g needle.
But, to be fair I probably should have shaken the LC jar more often than I did.
Plus in the last LC jars I ran I also added 3 drops of vitamin B complex ( a moonshiner I know swears by Vitamin to give his yeast a kick in the ass). I also added a potassium tablet to them too. Again a whole tablet was probably over kill.

Very interesting stuff that is. I have to try that.

#10 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

I want to get a jar full of thick mycelium where I struggle getting it I to my syringe! I have 12 gauge needle that should do the trick I would think . I also ordered one of those inoculation guns to make life easier. Probably a waste of money but we will see. Can you give a little more detail on your tek please?

#11 Black_Swan

Black_Swan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

are those grains floating around in those LC's? :huh:

#12 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

Yeah I was trying to work very quickly so I just tossed a teaspoon of colonized grains in there. After the fact I realized that it wasn't a good idea. They were sterilized and completely colonized. My the emotion face or what ever the correct terminology is for it has me laughing my ass off. I'm assuming not a good idea huh? To have grains in my jars that is....

#13 Black_Swan

Black_Swan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

No it's not.  Standing grains in what should be a sterile solution isn't a good thing.

You could easily tam your LC and any future projects with this little bastard! 

Aspergillus Flavus

http://www.google.ca...m=isch&imgdii=_

it's worse than Trich IMHO. 

Spores or stem sections only. :wink:

I'd ditch them...don't risk it.

Edited by Black_Swan, 08 May 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#14 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

So the appropriate thing to have done was to place grain on agar and grow it out then use a plug to inoculate. I figured it was sterilized so I would be ok and skip that step. We'll I have 4 jars of oats that look ok so far. I will dispose if them and era in the side of caution. Thanks for the warning!

My OCD has been killing me as I modified my other 8 LC no tilt jars while these are still outfitted with high temp vacuum hose and plastic female luer to hose adapter siliconed to my lids and will not handle any type of torque making tightening the caps impossible. So this will give me an opportunity to correct this.

My mod includes stainless steel 1" luer lock needle that I liquid welded to the lid and liquid welded stainless steel tube to the dispensing end. Looks much cleaner but still very ghetto compared to moremans no tilt LC jar or whatever the name is. I improvised and saved money and get the exact same results. Cosmetically though it is an eye sore.

Edited by Microbe77, 08 May 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#15 Black_Swan

Black_Swan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

ok well, sit on the jars you've innoculated, just keep a close eye.

Yeah, a piece of grain on agar then sector it off into a clean dish. If this tam is present you'll see it soon enough.

LC's are deceptive cuz this stuff doesn't grow in them, it'll look like a good LC until you nocc up some grains and start seeing it appearing. It's caused by the grains themselves, popcorn especially.

fingers crossed... no more grains in LC's :wink:

Edited by Black_Swan, 08 May 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#16 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

ok well, sit on the jars you've innoculated, just keep a close eye.

Yeah, a piece of grain on agar then sector it off into a clean dish. If this tam is present you'll see it soon enough.

LC's are deceptive cuz this stuff doesn't grow in them, it'll look like a good LC until you nocc up some grains and start seeing it appearing. It's caused by the grains themselves, popcorn especially.

fingers crossed... no more grains in LC's :wink:

Thanks.

#17 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• OG VIP
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

This is my greatest challenge so far and have not really been able to get a jar full of mycelium and I have followed several teks.

Any advice?

My .02 - drop the experimenting until you grow a crop.  I think your OCD is complicating things.

Consider the PF Tek.

Edited by MrGumball, 08 May 2014 - 05:23 PM.

• coorsmikey and Black_Swan like this

#18 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Any advice?

My .02 - drop the experimenting until you grow a crop. I think your OCD is complicating things.

Consider the PF Tek.

I will do the PF TEK because a MOD told me that I could get very clean prints and tissue clones. But maybe I am not understanding your message, maybe it's a case of the right message but wrong wrapper. I feel that your advice was a response to my skill set or lack of. I am not claiming to be a myco expert, avid grower, and etc. but from a skill set, I am beyond the PF TEK and why not experiment while I'm waiting on my crop? It's fun and gives me something to do. I'm very close to growing a crop and IMO think my tubs look pretty damn good for my first time at spawning to bulk sub. And I didn't just inject spores into some grain and got lucky! I spent a lot of time growing my mycelium out in agar and transferring. And I will never stop experimenting kind sir.

I have nothing against the PF TEK and am very well aware of the process. I help another myco buddy of mine and that is where I got him started. Yes I said I because that was my advice to him was to start with the PF Tek. I helped in out every step of the way and all my advice was related to the PF Tek.

I wanted to clear that up so it doesn't sound like I'm being a dick saying That my skill set is better then anyone who does PF TEK because I'm not and would say 95% at least of the hobby cultivators are more skilled then I and have tons more knowledge then I. For someone who just started to engage in this hobby in December and didn't start conducting my " Experiments" until late January, I think I have came along away and obtained a lot of knowledge thanks to all the people here at Myctopia, including you Mr. Gumball. I have talked to some others that still today they still follow the PF TEK after growing mushrooms for years.

Everyone has a process that meets their needs and I chose the path of spore solution to agar, transfer as many times as needed, inoculate LC with agar plug, inoculate grain spawn with LC, spawn to bulk sub, print, clone, and finally isolate. That is my path and I have experimented a lot.

While experimenting I always made sure I followed teks and advice so that if there were failures the response to my questions would not be you didn't follow the tek.

I have 2 projects going right now I'm about to post about:)

My earlier posts I know I was jumping in and answering questions as if I were a expert and I am sorry for that. I just got excited because I knew the answer to some of the questions but for the most part I don't really respond to questions that much anymore no matter how bad I want to because I am a newb and I know my place.

This hobby is very captivating to me and I really enjoy it. It has brought to a community and sub culture with a great bunch of people! I have made a friend already and look forward to making many more. I open minded and will take any advise seriously. I may not always choose to follow that advice but I will respect it when someone takes their own time to reply to a topic or post of mine.

Before you run off again may I ask a veteran such as your self a few questions?

What do you know about Laminar Flow Hoods?:)

When I do the PF Tek would it be ok to do trays instead of the traditional pint jar cakes like a 6"x6"x4" tray?

What is your preferred growing method these days?

If you use grain spawn what is your favorite and why?

How do you prepare your grain? Seep, soak, simmer, no prep?

Have you seen my tubs I am colonizing yet?

I should be coming up in fruiting in about a week maybe, any advice on getting ready for that? Anything I should do to ensure a good pin set?

Thanks for your reply Mr. Gumball

#19 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• OG VIP
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Any advice?

My .02 - drop the experimenting until you grow a crop. I think your OCD is complicating things.

Consider the PF Tek.

I will do the PF TEK because a MOD told me that I could get very clean prints and tissue clones. But maybe I am not understanding your message, maybe it's a case of the right message but wrong wrapper. I feel that your advice was a response to my skill set or lack of. I am not claiming to be a myco expert, avid grower, and etc. but from a skill set, I am beyond the PF TEK and why not experiment while I'm waiting on my crop? It's fun and gives me something to do. I'm very close to growing a crop and IMO think my tubs look pretty damn good for my first time at spawning to bulk sub. And I didn't just inject spores into some grain and got lucky! I spent a lot of time growing my mycelium out in agar and transferring. And I will never stop experimenting kind sir.

No, not a response to my perception of your skill set nor would I want to discourage you from experimenting.  It was simply a response to your statement that: 

This is my greatest challenge so far and have not really been able to get a jar full of mycelium and I have followed several teks.  Any Advice?

What do you know about Laminar Flow Hoods?:)

I know enough about flow hoods that if I wanted one (I do) I would purchase it.

When I do the PF Tek would it be ok to do trays instead of the traditional pint jar cakes like a 6"x6"x4" tray?

You can tweak the PF Tek to suit your needs or desire to experiment.

What is your preferred growing method these days?

spawn + easily sourced bulk substrate + mycobag with filter patch

If you use grain spawn what is your favorite and why?

Rye or wheat berries:  easily sourced, cost, ease of prep.  I think it's important to have one grain type rather than a mix like WBS because it doesn't all hydrate at the same rate.

How do you prepare your grain? Seep, soak, simmer, no prep?

Standard soak (for no particular amount of time), simmer, then drained into a large colander  to evaporate excess moisture.

Have you seen my tubs I am colonizing yet?

Yeah man, congratulations!  I had honestly forgotten about them when I made my earlier comment, you've got a few cultivation threads going.

I should be coming up in fruiting in about a week maybe, any advice on getting ready for that? Anything I should do to ensure a good pin set?

I'll have to review your other thread with the tubs and see what kind of setup you're working with.

Thanks for your reply Mr. Gumball

My responses in purple.  I've got a couple questions about your LC:

1.  Is your LC clean?

2.  In the first photos of your grain jars, how long post innoculation is that?

3.  How many times had they been shaken at that point?

I ask beause upon first glance at your updated grain they jars look off, then I read you had gave them another shake.  How many has that been now?

I shake once at 15-20% then again right before spawning.

Edited by MrGumball, 08 May 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#20 sinful

sinful

I'm a Ninja

• Expired Member
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

pp5 Trays? You have a pic??

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!