137 replies to this topic

#41 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for taking the time to read guys,

It is an ugly form of contam isn't it Boomz. The green mould is ugly, but this black shit just looks borderline evil. Regardless they both destroy your cake, so 'death to both of'em' obviously.

Thanks for the pointers Funk1, I might end up mixing both batches in some jars, and try some seperately. Goal being to see if the seed content is the only variable, will there be any differences in speed and vigour of colonisation.

Being 5 am here ATM, and my insomnia keeping me buzzing, I thought I might experiment with my set up a little. As the images show I've put a skirt around the steel frame and heater that the incubator rests upon.

I used a $2 chinese mat I bought for some reason that I no longer recall. Beneath the mat is a layer of cardboard. The mat was a last minute idea used to make the appearance a little less suspicious.
Some new red fabric bought for 80 cents a metre a year or so ago from a small store's closing down sale is what Ive draped over the incubator.

The heat being some what contained around the incubator should allow me to turn the heat even lower. Saving electricity, and dropping the heat of the air being pumped into the incubator itself.

A small trap was cut into the end where the air pump, thermostat and switches reside so as to be able to quickly adjust the heat setting of course.
The setting was allready dramatically lowered since the incubator was mounted on the frame above the heater, but i figure "hey, I cant sleep, I have these materials laying around, and if it works it saves a few dollars over the long term."
A side effect I didn't really think about was the huge reduction in sound from the air pump.All that needs be done now is to adjust the settings as needed until the ideal internal air temp is again established. (I'm keeping my inc between 78-82f)

This ones probably the least useful of the alterations Ive made to my set up lately. At night I'm left with a lot of hours, and I figured giving this one a go couldn't hurt.
Now if you happened to stumble into the room, on a glance youd have little to no idea that anything 'different' (suspect) was going on (or so i hope).
Anyway, I'll definately be heading down to the farm today, so i'll hopefully get a few nice animal shots. Within the bounds of my cheap assed camera :)

The only thing left to do now, is roll up a dooby, swill down a Vodka cruiser (gurly drink i know :P) and relax a few hours befor trecking down to the farm.

Take care all, thanks boom n funk, I'll see you on the threads.

Fingers

Attached Thumbnails

• cruiser 003.jpg
  • incubator skirt 005.jpg
  • incubator skirt 006.jpg

#42 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:03 AM

Hiya pplz,

<O:p</O:p
The farm mission finally got done today. It’s going to be real interesting to compare the results of the various poo. Today I got a sack of water Buffalo poo, Donkey poo, cow (of some form) sheep, horse (from the last trip) and the much anticipated…kangaroo poo (with some Wallaby also).
Posted Image

Posted Image<O:p</O:p

The above image is of the little cheeky wallaby. This little fella is known for trying to make a break for freedom when you enter the enclosure. I like his spunk.
By the time we got around to the Llama enclosure, the farm was closing down, but we’ve established a great rapport with the owners and are welcome to return anytime. One of the more ‘new age’ farm staff asked “soo….you gonna grow some magic mushrooms as well?” (We use the farce of being ‘small scale yet highly exotic edible mushroom growers’.
Of course we don’t know enough to full this hustle off with anyone who knows cultivation, but how many people do you run into day to day that does? :D
Posted Image
The buffalo’s poo STANK. I mean STANK. I was concerned this might be a sign of some non-plant matter diet or something, but we were assured the only animals that ever received meat products were the pigs.
Posted Image
This farm is absolutely fantastic fun for kids or adults. It was so refreshing to be able to drive less then 10 minutes from a major metropolitan area and feel so removed from the hustle and bustle.
My gurl and I volunteered to do some work with the disabled kids’ horse riding centre. Though a zoo is fantastic, this just takes the cake in my book. Today I got to pet a wallaby, hold and feed a baby goat, and scores of other great little animals.
My apologies if these images tilt a little towards ‘off topic’ (as I doubt snake poo is going to be a likely case scenario :P) but I just had such a good day. I’d like to share it with my fellow topiates. (Hope you don’t mind guys).
Posted Image
(I love this shot, I cant believe my camera was capable of this clarity.)
Be well guys and girls,

:greenbounFingerS :greenboun

(Additional animal images in the attachments below)

Attached Thumbnails

• animaaaaaaaalz 039.jpg
  • animaaaaaaaalz 065.jpg
  • animaaaaaaaalz 013.jpg
  • animaaaaaaaalz 026.jpg
  • animaaaaaaaalz 060 cropped.JPG
  • animaaaaaaaalz 025.jpg
  • animaaaaaaaalz 045.jpg
  • animaaaaaaaalz 010.jpg
  • animaaaaaaaalz 008.jpg
  • animaaaaaaaalz 037.jpg

#43 eu_por_exemplo

eu_por_exemplo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:10 AM

GREAT!!!!!! Congratulations Fingers!!!! Very cool. :pirate:

#44 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,044 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:06 AM

what a neat thread... love the avatar. lol makes me laugh every time. :)

fahtster

#45 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:54 AM

what a neat thread... love the avatar. lol makes me laugh every time. :)

fahtster

:P
Thanks exemplo & Fahtster! :) Thats a huge compliment from you Faht! lol
In honesty, a massive percentage of the info in your threads goes over my head....but I know enough to know you do some outstanding work mate! :)
Your 'Teks Index' thread is one of my favorites. Its a mini Gold mine of info. :) thanks for posting that one.
(for anyone who hasn't seen it its definately worth a look i think. Theres a wealth of learning for us newer growers especially).
http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=11904

About the avatar, thanks for that :). In honesty i rreeeeeally cant work out why it seems so bizzare to some people lol. Doesn't everyone gear up in protective gear when innoculating and such?! (Maybe its the blackened eye balls :P)

Anyway, I might go tranfer my skunk/white widow (soon to be mother) sprout from fluro to HPS. Hopefully she flourishes and becomes 'post worthy' soon enough. I might have to start a grow log in the cannabis section if all goes well.

Take care all, and thanks for following my log,

Fingers :)

#46 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,044 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:43 AM

hey thanks man... glad you can put it to use in any way possible.. I actually more posted it for my own references. lol i don't write anything down in the real world I keep it all in my noodle... I don't know if theres a forest of huge redwoods in there or what but it gets pretty shady up there sometimes. lol so it's nice to just go and hit up that page and take me to anything that i've done in the past if i want to replicate the results without having to do a search and wade thru the posts i've made. truth be told... i'm a realllly modest person in real life and i actually get embarrassed when people compliment me. I'd be happy if no one said anything and just used the info. lol Not saying i don't take em to heart... it's just the way i am i guess. I do appreciate it tho. :) lookin forward to seeing your herbage!
fahtster

#47 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:51 AM

Oh yeah I hear you on that one Faht, :)

My grow log is in part my record of my first grow experience for my own record also :P. Other then that I think first time growers might be able to learn one or two things from my mistakes as well as success (if any, time will tell).
The way i see it, noobs will make mistakes and learn lessons the hard way that experienced growers would know better then to do :P
So if my thread contributes to a new guy avoiding a blown heat bomb, or melting and burning the lid on your L.C jar after it running out of water due to evaporation. (that was tonights little Fractional sterilisation error :P) Then thats a good thing.

I really admire the humble mentality about your level of grow skill also. Seems fairly common on Topia (Buckaroo said almost the exact thing earlier in the thread :) )

About the Herbage, I'm looking forward to it too! :) It's still in the early days, the skunk/widow just went under the HPS last night. But i'll be sure to start a cannabis grow log for this one in the near future.

Thanks again for your kind comments Faht, and thanks for posting such informative and entertaining info as always. Its the mods and members like you that make Topia great :)

Be well all,

#48 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:27 PM

No updates? No new questions? You get dragged away by work too???

Totally cool pics of the animals at the farm, by the way. You've either got bigger balls (or a bigger zoom) than me, getting that close to four 'roos taking a siesta!

A buddy of mine has a hilarious story about getting the crap kicked out of him by a kangaroo he thought was "cute enough to hug" one night whilest out wandering under the influence of uncle syd...can anybody say, "you should be glad you only needed 16 stitches?"

#49 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

a last minute idea used to make the appearance a little less suspicious...
...Some new red fabric bought for 80 cents a metre a year or so ago from a small store's closing down sale is what Ive draped over the incubator....Now if you happened to stumble into the room, on a glance youd have little to no idea that anything 'different' (suspect) was going on (or so i hope).

hmmm
http://mycotopia.net...63&d=1153684696

i gotta be honest-
i think you are indulging in too much of that girlie drink
:lol:
that looks pretty suspicious to my eye.

#50 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Buck,

I just woke up and thought i'd check my posts. So no questions right now. I'm reeeally not a morning person.
Bout the Roo's, this being a $100 shitty camera, i cant chalk it up to a good zoom, but on the other hand, cant take credit for any exceptional testicular fortitude either.

You're reeally not meant to enter many of those enclosures, but the owner was kind enough to give me the keys. (Thats A LOT of trust considering cost of animals and potential legal implications as a result of injury's)
These animals aren't really what youd call domesticated, but not what youd call wild either. These are 'eastern grey' roo's, and in my experience allways swiftly hop away from humans (in captivity or the wild). The only one that approached was that little cool wallaby.

I really thought the owners wouldn't let me anywhere near an animal that had tendency's towards attacking people. (so i thought!).
With everybody suing each other at the drop of a dime, i really though the fact that i was allowed in the enclosures was a near guarantee of my safety. NOT so :p
The farm manager told me before we left that he was sitting back while i was in one of the enclosure's chuckling as he waited for me to get trampled by a HUGE ram. That cool country way those people have is awsome though I think. I'm just a city boy to the core.

Hipsta, I know what you're saying I guess. I was more thinking about the visible air hoses running along the outer walls of the incubator being covered. Not to mention police and their 'line of seight' search.(you know the one? where they cant move anything or touch anything, but if they can see it, you're F'$%D?)
Another benefit of that cover is the heat from beneath being held in a lot better. I've found that cover keeps the inc at least 3F higher. (so less electricity).
And last but not least, I've been given info by drug squad detectives and several regional police stations that Cube's are not yet illegal in Melbourne.
So I'm happy enough with the set up ATM, thanks dude:)

Good to have you back on the threads Buck! Place wasn't the same without ya! Lets get down to some growing!:headbang:

Fingers

#51 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:47 PM

40% gone to contams. 80% of remaining jars are displaying what looks like contam. Might be brusing, might be contams.

Excuse me while i go drown myself in my toilet.

Fingers :eusa_wall

#52 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

Ouch.
Hey if everyone drowned themselves because thier first grow attempt didn't go perfect, there wouldn't be many of us here.
I hope the rest make it for ya:eusa_pray

#53 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Rev,

I took one of the cakes outside and tore it apart to have a look, smell, and feel of it. I figure its better understanding.
After holding, and smelling it... the jury is out. The area's that look contamed do not smell bad. And the off color area is very very shallow.
I dunno, i guess i just dont have any past experience to compare it to.

O well, its all learning. Lesson learned being 'DO NOT bother with this hobby unless you have a P.C'.

Anyway, i'll keep you guys in the know as to how it turns out.

#54 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:37 AM

Hi all,

I feel pretty silly asking this, but i guess we do some dumb shit when we're desperate... does this look like it might be bruising?

I'm almost certain this is contamination. I guess I'm just praying for a miricle. I've opened one of these tubs and semlt this. It totally doesn't smell foul in any way.
I've also thumbed the side of the jars and considered if it could be from the pressing on the side, but i have the signs of this happening even in a glass jar. So that pretty much eliminates that possibility.

Posted Image

I know, its contams right? :dead:

Shit happens man...then again.... no harm in praying for a miricle. :eusa_pray

'god......this is fingers..... bring me a mod saying this is bruising...and meaning it :eusa_pray '

:p O well, you live and learn i guess

#55 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

the poor picture quality makes certainty difficult

#56 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:00 AM

yeah i know, this camera absolutely sucks. I might try putting it under the fluro and blow a dozen pics on it. I know my cam has done better then that. I'll try again.

Thanks Hip

Fingers

#57 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:47 AM

looks about ready to birth,
might get it out of jar and take closer look,
see if the color rinses off
bruising will not but mold does

#58 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for that Hip,

I'll have to birth one thats the most well colonised. They are from 30%-70% colonised. (that pic is a little decieving, thats a large patch of colonisation rather then 100%. pics are decieving sometimes hey :) )

I'm almost tempted to do it before i head out, but I'm really running late. I guess its gonna have to wait.

The verdict tonight :)

FIngers

#59 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:30 AM

Well....

It doesn't look good. The marks dont seem to wash off. They're very shallow, and appear to be clearing up on some of the cakes, so i really dont know.
I tried taking pics again, and it just didn't happen. I think I'm going to have to take the pics in day light to be sure.

Regardless of the health or lack there of, I'm going to go full blown on some bulk substrate. Here's a couple of pics of the P.C's I was talking about in my other thread a day or 2 ago.

Posted Image

This one is by far the cheapest Ive found, but the feel of it has put a bad taste in my mouth. The handles dont line up too well. and it just feels cheap.

Posted Image

This particular one is a 10 liter, but they have a 12 liter thats exactly the same model, and only $60 AUD.
Still not as good as I'd like, but it definately feels far better then the 'Domestic brand' P.C
Something that makes me a little uneasy about all the brands in the Turkish shops is the fact that I cant find any websites for them, or even a site with a mention of them.
For now I'm gonna go with the Parker I think. I'd be nice if i knew a little more about P.C's. The difference in the regulators is visible, but i dont know a good one from a bad one. Oh well, i guess I'll learn with experience.
Even if it turns out to suck, i can use it to make some good fried chicken or somethin :p
Posted Image

These ones were all around the $100 mark. (a little more then I can spare ATM). But i thought i'd show you guys anyway. The one in the middle looks pretty wierd to me. A plastic lid on it?? Unless theyr'e using the same plastic as used to make a Glock handgun or something, I'd be a little uneasy about using it. These ones were stainless steel, but the way i see it, if I'm gonna spend a hundred, I might as well add $50 and get a reputable brand.

On to a variation on an L.C jar I made. It pretty much has your usual self healing innoculation points, but cased in small PP tubes. It feels pretty damn solid. Its probably been done before (if it works). But again I thought 'what the hell, i'll show the guys'. :)

Posted Image

I used a thin piece of heated wire to run a shallow groove around the circumference of the tubing which was injected with high temp resistant silicone. Its 110% air tight, and feels pretty good. I think it should work well.

Well, i think tommorow before heading out for the day i'll take some pics of the mystery bruise/contam in day light. Hopefully that'll make it possible to give a more definate diagnosis.

Even though the possibility of losing this grow is disheartening, it's only motivated me to kick ass with my next grow with bulk substrate. (whats the correct term? 'spawn tek', 'bulk' both maybe?)

Anyway, I might try to finish my industrial strength clean of the house. With polished floor boards, venitian blinds and semi gloss paint on concrete walls I think I'm fairly lucky. Its pretty much possible to bleach every surface. The paint on the wall of the kitchen bubbled when i steamed them 30 cakes, so i figure i might have to throw up some high gloss or something.
My damn dog is gonna be an issue again, but i figure i can put the little man in the bedroom and hot bleach mop the entire houses floors, walls, and blinds on my next pasturisation or innoculation day.

Thanks guys, and be well everybody :)

:greenboun Fingers :greenboun

Attached Thumbnails

• PC and smak 020.jpg
  • PC and smak 019.jpg
  • PC and smak 018.jpg
  • PC and smak 013.jpg
  • s.JPG
  • domestic p.JPG
  • parker p.JPG

#60 Hippie3

Hippie3