yeah....

not a good idea.

#82 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:02 AM

Broken up on a board out in the sunshine should dry that stuff out toot sweet. Just don't let the morning dew get to it and rewet everything!

:dance:
That is a little "happy pin dance" action for ya! And a little more...

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Yea, you gotta keep your eyes peeled now, man. Things happen *FAST* once pinning starts. You'll go from nothing to harvest time in 48 hours or so.

As to light, anything more than 3-4 hours a day should be plenty to keep the fruiting going, though they might be kind of twisty (they grow towards the light).

Glad to see things are finally going right for ya, man!

If you have any questions about the MJ (or maybe even want to start a thread on it), lots of folks around here can help you out with that as well...

#83 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:14 AM

Thanks once again Buck (and ceyote :p)

The dew you mention in the morning...basically occurs aaaaaaaall day in Melbourne. We're known here for having the most unpredictable and dismal weather to deal with.
I wouldn't dare leave it out while I'm at work as a sudden and unpredicted thunderstorm is a common thing here. I'll cross my fingers that there's some sun this weekend. Might not be likely, but it's worth a shot.

I join you now for a moment brother ...... :dance: :dance: :teeth:

With the lighting, is 24/7 a bad idea? Or would it be fine? You said 'anything more then 3-4' but i dont know if 24/7 is wise or foolish. I guess its fine, if it was some damaging idea I'm sure youd have advised me.

With the Mary J, I'm pretty good on that note thanks brother. Not saying I'm an expert at all, but I have been growing it on and off for about 12 years. Ive always combined written texts, first hand advice from good hydro shop owners, and then the net as a final suppliment.
Then again, topia is the home of the greatest concentration of intelligent adults, (with interests in psychoactives) So i might be well served by running some issues by the advanced growers.

Oh, pics! :teeth:

Posted Image

Sorry again about the @%$#*&#[email protected]# camera!! :gah: :p
I soo have to save up and get something half decent. This thing is just nasty, so I've circled the only (partially) visible pins. There are a hell of a lot more that the camera just has no chance of picking up.
Those 4 pin/shrooms circled are the leaders of the pack (insert engine SFX :D).
Posted Image

Zoe's comming along nicely i think. The growth in the last 48 hours has been phenominal. It's reminded me of the speed at which MJ grows (been a couple of yrs since my last grow). All i did was a few small refinements, and the speed of growth increased by a guesstimated %40. Isn't she pretty? :hugs: :D
Posted Image

This is my lil continental parsley plant i was telling you guys about in an earlier post a while back. Th image makes the scale a little decieving, but that sucker is pretty big and healthy. I've been growing it as a welcome home gift for my mother after 6 months in Italy.
It's not the best season here for parsley I'm told, so I figure a big healthy parsley plant will please her greatly. Anyone who's known a little old italian woman should be able to relate to how exicted she should be from this. Gotta luv ur mom :hugs: :p

It's good to have you back on Topia regularly Buck, thanks again (and a huge thanks to Hip also for jumping in with advice when Bucks unavailable for extended periods.

By the way, Hip... would you prefer I not post images and references to things like my parsley and weed in here? I only do it here because there's really so little to say. I thought it would be a bit tardy to post "this is my Parsley, she grows in soil and horse manure.... The end."
You know what I mean? :)

But again, I just thought "Hip's not one to bite his tongue in regards to keeping topia tidy and well organised". So i guess I just answered my own question.
As soon as The mother plant gets large enough to clone from and my grow becomes sizeable (and a little more interesting) I'll definately start a grow log, It just feeels very premature right now. Dunno, maybe i should get the ball rolling.

Oh btw, my L.c is showing signs of early growth :D Details/pics when it gets a little more funky :)

Take care guys, and thanks again!

:greenboun Fingers :greenboun

#84 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:52 AM

First off, it is DAMNED good to hear your spirits have improved. Ya had me a little worried there, bro!

Second off, 24/7 on your lighting will be fine. It won't make stuff grow any faster and it will waste a little electricity...but if something else in the room is also taking advantage of the light...more power to ya!

Never to early to start a thread, though some wait until the "project" is complete (thats what I generally do). I hate to fail miserably with everybody watching! I'm a wuss that way...

#85 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

By the way, Hip... would you prefer I not post images and references to things like my parsley and weed in here? I only do it here because there's really so little to say. I thought it would be a bit tardy to post "this is my Parsley, she grows in soil and horse manure.... The end."
You know what I mean?

But again, I just thought "Hip's not one to bite his tongue in regards to keeping topia tidy and well organised". So i guess I just answered my own question.

you're doing fine, carry on.

#86 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:35 PM

I feel like a broken record sayin this guys,
But thanks again :)
Sometimes i wonder if saying thanks almost every post gets monotonous to everybody, but I just feel compelled too so often.
Life's been really beating us around a bit in the last 6 months, (and i was pretty worried myself buck! :) )
Getting a 'notice to vacate' your property, having your car vanadalised to the point of being borderline unusable, and a court battle to get visitations of a son you've never even seen has a way of wounding your soul (if you know what i mean).
Finally things have turned up! :cacti: I got a full time job (sucks, but it's farrrrrr better then being homeless and hungry of course :) )
My MRS got a kick ass job fitting women with lacy lingerie :eusa_thin )
So yeah, everything's finally taking a turn for the better :)
Thank you again for your kind words/pm's Buck, It's people like you who make me scoff when anyone suggests you cant take anything or anyone serious online. IMO an intelligent person can tell the difference between someone yanking their chain, and a sincere decent person. And I've met a bunch of those here on topia... :cry: It's really a beutiful thing.... :p (nah seriously, you guys are awesome :) )
You weren't wrong about the lower temp slowing down the fruiting Buck. I mean the health of the fruit seems pretty certain. Theyr'e looking pretty happy and healthy :D but they are a lot slower then the 24-48 hrs you mentioned buck. I turned up the heater a lil, dont wanna push the temp up too high in the incubator (the one heater handles both inc and fruit).
I'll grab some batteries later when i head into town, hopefully i can get one of those 1 in 100 shots that comes up pretty clear. That was i can show off my first baby fruitz :cool:
Ciao for now guys :)
(and thanks for the thumbs up Hip, i was worried i was drifiting a bit too far off topic there :p ohh, and i forgot to upload them pics last post :eusa_naug sorrrrry :p. I didn't upload the one of the cake, that just sucks so bad, who'd want it :p The sun's out today for the first time in as long as i can remember, hopefully that'll help the image quality :))

byee all! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• parsley.JPG
  • zoe 18th.JPG

#87 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:04 AM

This ones a lot better i think, :cool:

Posted Image

By next friday I'm hoping there'll be enough fruit for me and my gurl to go to Puerto Rico for the weekend :D

Adios Amigo's! :teeth:

:greenboun fingers :greenboun

Attached Thumbnails

• fruit lovely.JPG

#88 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:36 AM

Dude, the more often you say thanks, the more often you are conscious of being grateful for the good things in your life. Nothing wrong with saying thanks. Doing that “pay it forward” thing and helping others to clue in is pretty cool, too.

As to the communiqués, not a problem. You seem like pretty good folks, Fingers. I’m always happy to shine a little light on a brother in need and you seemed to need it. I can’t ignore people who need help. When I do shit like that, I’m just part of the problem (and the problem has enough people working for it already).
<O:p
Lower temps aren’t bad. Though your fruits may be a little slower, your contamination risks are lower.
Oh, and not to be all transcendental “I told you so,” but, see what I meant about the mushies waiting until the time was right to show up? Of course, don’t forget, I’m a little “hippy dippy trippy” about stuff like that (aka: a nut)…maybe it was just coincidence…
Dude, don’t worry about drifting off topic so much, it’s your thread! You can pull it whatever direction you like!
Looks like you have some discoloration on the MJ leaves, by the way.
Loving that last cake pic!!! With just a few pins like that, they should all get some nice size for ya. Any plans for cloning/printing? Once you have one sporulate, you are self sufficient from that point on (assuming you print it). AND you have fun things to trade with the other folks!!!
Hee hee, happy pinning dance for Fingers!!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

#89 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

have you looked closely for spider mites ?
that damage looks rather familiar...
http://mycotopia.net...43&d=1156045044

#90 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

Sadly, I must say that is what I was thinking too...

#91 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

Yep.

The lil bastids.....:laser:

#92 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

hmmm:eusa_thin yessss,

You guy's bring the total of people who've suggested spider mites being my problem up to about ten, and i did have that thought myself. I just checked again, and there's no signs of the fuckerz... strange.

It's been a couple of years since my last pot grow, and in 'fingers stoner yrs' it feels more like ten.
So many new methods and new products have come out since then, i really need to do some further study again. I believe the day you think you dont need to learn more is the day you take steps backwards.

I might cut a suspect leaf and take it into the hydro shop. That guy is like a weed yoda, and very quick and happy to give advice.

I do know what you mean about the 'Hippy dippy trrippy factor' Buck.
We're said to have some fantastic wild native shrooms in Melbourne, and i went to great lengths to find some subs (subguranga or sumthin, sorry not sure of the spelling) and though this city was in the midst of a bumper season, we just found nothing active.
I think it wasn't the right time. (the hippy dippy trippy factor IMO :) )

I used to be a 'if it isn't supported by logic and pure factual evidence, it's not worth considering' type of guy, but i believe as you get older you start to 'sense' (for lack of better words) the things that aren't supported by science or strait up traditional logic/fact.

Ohh, BTW guys, :D

My cake looks about twice as healthy this morning! Them baby boomers you see in that pic are about twice the size :D (this is so much fun at this stage :D)
I managed to get the lighting and heating situation a lot better last night with the cakes and lighting completely under the incubator. I think the cake is grateful for the added warmth and more direct lighting. :hugs:

Anyway guys, I should really get going.

My L.C is going slow but steady, about 5 of the 15 cakes are 98% colonised, and I'm thinking I'll be ready to birth them in the next few days. I cant wait :D

So ...yeah, ciao for now, and thanks again!!,

:teeth:
Fingers

#93 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:23 AM

Hi again guys, :)

Just a quick question about humidification of my F.C. For my cakes I'm thinking of simply using my inc as the F.C. I was thinking i could use the air stones pumping warm air into the inc to handle air exchange. Does this idea soun o.k to you guys?

Also, (onto the humidification) I have a big bag of expanded clay balls and was thinking i could use these in place of perlite.

In a sense i guess I'm just postponing the inevidible expense. I'm gonna need more expanded clay for my plants (clones from the mother plant etc.) so I'm kinda thinking i should just buy the perlite for my F.C, and keep the expanded clay for my erbs.

What would you guys suggest? and do you find expanded clay gives better or worse results then perlite?

I've yet to read up much on drying boomers. I've kind of had the 'take it as it comes' approach in a sense. Of course there's a wealth of info on drying in the vaults etc. I'm just wondering what your take on dessicant would be.
I've seen some say 'dessicant is a waste of money and is unessisary' others swear by it. Of course i dont want to spend cash unessisarily, but if it at all gives better or cleaner results I'll definately get some dessicant.
There's many many sources of cheap dessicant in larger amounts here in Aus, so it's easy enough to get. I'm just wondering whats prefered by you guys who've tried both methods and have a preference?

Sorry if i sound a little short, It's midnight and I really should be getting some Z's. (Damn this hard labour is depressing :dead: , then again, i shouldnt forget how much worse it is being unemployed! so here's a tentative 'I'm happy I have any work at all' dance :dance: :p

Thanks guys,

Comming home, checkin my baby's, and reading the responses from you guys is one of the thing's i look forward to at the end of the day. Very much appreciated guys :)

Bye for now!

#94 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:34 AM

just buy the Perlite for my F.C, and keep the expanded clay for my erbs.

gets my vote

#95 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:13 AM

I’m with Hippie3. The expanded clay will work, but if you are running low, the Perlite will work a little better. Of course, if the Perl is 10X as expensive, go with more clay balls.

Just don’t forget some disinfectant for the Perl/clay. FOAF likes ¼ cup of bleach every two weeks when he tops up the container.
Dessicants work, BUT, you have to do some pre-drying first. If you toss a big handful of freshies in with some dessicant, the dessicant will quickly be overwhelmed (shroomies are 90% water).
FOAF is a big fan of forced air drying. He uses a food dehydrator, but a table fan and a paper plate/window screen also work great. If you can’t get ‘em cracker dry (hard if your ambient RH is high), you can then toss the “mostly dry” ones in with some dessicant and get them cracker dry for storage.

#96 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:20 AM

Cool,

I guessed about as much. Expanded clay balls drain and dry out FAST with Zoe (my erbal baby) so yeah, I guess i was just doin what i do best (pinch pennies :p) Or as The dapper Don used to say "he squeezes a quarter til the eagle screeeeams!!!!" (I always found that amusing :p)
Oh, BTW, I lost another cake to contams! I'm over worrying about contams now. I've got about 5 cakes ready to birth in the next day or so, and the rest soon after, but i thought i'd just mention it.

I'f i had to guess, i'd say this one was a result of post P.C contams. The trich is right at the top of the cake, and the fact that it's been this long since innoculation.

The 2grams (approx) that i put out to dry yesterday has dried out a lot
I put them on an unturned wire basket/waste paper bin with some KFC napkins.
I just cut a couple more boomers, and am trying my hand at making prints. I figure if i can get my technique down right, keep them as clean/sterile as possible, I could start throwing some around as gifts to new growers.
I've been ranting and raving on my forum about growing and have a few members who seem pretty damn interested in trying cube cultivation :headbang: . Hopefully some spores might be enough to turn the "one day I'll try it" members into "awsome I'm gonna do this now!" ones :).

I've been reading up as much as i can find on making a flow hood. The fan I've seen used are sold in every hydro shop here, so other then that the materials look fairly low cost. I'd hate to think I might be giving people contamed prints :thumbdown: .

The next week should be a lot of fun, and a lot more pic's and posts about this grow should be on their way. Things got so slow there for a sudden, I just got ahead of myself. Before i get too absorbed in a bulk grow i really should finish this one tru? :p

Fanks a lot guys, this weekend is gonna be my first experience with cubes. I think it's pretty cool that my first dose is self grown :D Dunno why, i get a kick out of that :amazed: .

Anyway, time to do some more reading on dosing, drying, and print making. There's always more to learn :D I luv it. (note to self:shutup fingers, enough :p)

Ciao guys!! :D

#97 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hiya guys :D

I would have sworn I posted this pic, but i cant find the thing in this thread, Strange. So here she is!
Posted Image
(this pic woulda been soo much cooler if my cam didnt suck major ballz, oh well :) )

Last night was my first time having Cubes, and i gotta say, it was THE MOST pleasant and profound experience Ive had with psychoactives in many years (if ever).
Having had LSD many times I thought it would be a very similar experience, but as you guys all know thats not the case. In a sense similar, but so different (and better IMO) in so many ways.

The clean peak, and pure manner of thinking (if that makes any sense to anyone other then me :p) was just amazing to me. I truly had no idea how profound an experience it would be.

Me and my partner had approx 2-2.5 grams dry (I read in a dosing thread that this is Hippy's recommended dose for beginners) and i think it was just the perfect starting point.

One day in the near future i'd really like to experience some 'reality crumbling' level of trip, and after feeling just how amazingly smooth and pleasant they were, I'm reeeeeally excited and looking forward to it.
I read that the trip you get from dry is rather different to wet, so i might try munching the lil suckers right off the cake.

The closeness me and my gurl experienced while tripping will most definately be remembered for a long time, and as cheezy as it may sound, it really felt healing for us.

Without you guys, and all your constant help and support I never would have grown them (cos shroomery just doesn't inspire me at all comparative to the topian fashion). So it honestly would not have happened, and I would have probably never experienced the bonding that me and my gurl did.
So you guys have helped so much more then achieving a funky cool high (that too though :D) it helped us become closer and more understanding of each other. So a huge, huge thank you. (I hate to single anyone out cos so many of you guys have offered great advice. (but i gotta say an extra big thanks to Hip of course, and Buckaroo (there's soooo many more though, Boomer, Rev, Laz, just too many to name, so thanks to all you guys who've helped at one point or another).
Sorry for going on n on, it was just such a great experience, and it's opened up a whole new 'place' to go (if u know what i mean).

Back to the growing now! :D

Today i saw two edible 'kits' in the clearance section of K-Mart. They were market down from their retail (approx $30-40 I think) to $5. With a little negotiation i got both for $5 :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

They come partly colonised at you can see. They have a bag of pete moss (though it doesnt look anything like normal pete to me) with lime added (according to the website). As i've never seen an edible grow, I really dont know how frosty white 'full colonisation' is with White Buttoms. I'm sure I'll manage just fine though.

I dont know if anyone's interested to see the website for these kits, but in case you would this is the link.
www.mushroomkit.com.au

Tommorow being saturday I'm heading out to buy the last of the products i need to fruit my other cakes. (perlite, PP sheeting etc.) and am reeeeeeally excited (even more so now) about seeing multiple cakes go to fruit.

I have only 2 cakes that i'd class as %100, there are another 2-3 that are probably better described as %98 colonised. I'm really tempted to fruit them anyway. Then again, if i ruin them cos i cant stop my spurrs from jingly n jangling for another couple of days, I'll kick the shit out of myself.

This post is getting obscenely long now! I think i'll finish here, and if there's any note worthy developements tommorow when i set up the F.C I'll definately post some pics n details.

Thanks all you fine gentlemen! What a totally KICK ASS Hobby, and KICK ASS site to go with it. I'm extreeeeeeamly glad I found topia and cube cultivation. Or as team america said... "FUCK YEAHHHH" :D

Attached Thumbnails

• fruit yum 23.JPG
  • kit box.JPG
  • kit shack1.JPG

#98 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:53 PM

Totally, straight up, damned ROCKIN!!!!

Threads like this make it all worthwhile - your words feel damned nice, man. Genuine gratitude makes the whole mod thing just so much sweeter.

To know I had even a small part in helping a brother find the fungus...it just feels good, man. You know the saying: give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

Looks like you, my brother, have learned to fish!!!

I am SO glad you and your chick had a great time. The fungus experience really is a beautiful thing (infinitely superior to acid, IMHO). And it does have a way of cutting through the crap and reminding you what is important as opposed to what "seems" important.

Just very, very, very cool dude.

Any plans to swing by your former "expert" friend and give him a little bitch slap?

Congratulations again, man!

I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!!!!

#99 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

I've seen some say 'dessicant is a waste of money and is unessisary' others swear by it. Of course i dont want to spend cash unessisarily, but if it at all gives better or cleaner results I'll definately get some dessicant.

Dessicant really doesn't cost all that much. In the big box home improvement stores in the US, they sell refills of a product called Damp Rid for about $5. Just a little goes a long way. I have found it does shave at least a few days off the drying time.

What I do is get a long, flat tupperware container with an airtight lid. Pour some dessicant in the bottom, then put something porous like paper toweling or tyvek (I use landscape fabric) on top, then air-dried mushrooms, then the lid. Two days like that, and they are bone dry.

I've dried several ounces and have yet to refill the amount I originally put down. Oh, yeah! I also snag every piece of dessicant I can find in new electronics, luggage, and some pharmaceuticals, too. These are already packaged up, and I usually plop one of those into my weighed bags for storage.

A little off-topic, but I've found costs determining a lot of my actions when it comes to mushrooms. In the beginning, I used to use expensive paper towels to blot my cakes dry after dunking. Not anymore! When I go to restaurant bathrooms, corner stores, or any place else that has napkins, I make sure to grab a handful. Perfect for dabbing cakes, cleaning up spilt vermiculite, and doesn't cost a cent! Regards,

#100 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:28 PM

Me and my partner had approx 2-2.5 grams dry (I read in a dosing thread that this is Hippy's recommended dose for beginners) and i think it was just the perfect starting point.

:cool:
glad to hear that.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!