#1 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

Disclaimer: I do not claim this tek as mine. Parts or all this grain prep have been found on the internet. Although perfected by me through trial and error.

This is how I successfully prep my Red Wheat Berries.

Items needed

Wheat Berries

Quart jars (optional pints)

S.H.I.P Lids of your choice

Gypsum (optional)

Water (tap is fine)

Coarse or Med Vermiculite (optional)

Pressure Cooker

First thing I do is just give the grain a once over, make sure there is nothing else in it but wheat.

phone pics 318.jpg

Next, fill your jars with grain, a little less than halfway. 1 ½ cups.

phone pics 319.jpg

Here is where I use a teaspoon of Gypsum per quart. Some will say it is unnecessary, I feel it helps the grains from sticking together and adds nutrients that mycelium thrives on.

Fill Jar to the lower ring at the top with water. Put the lid on and give it a good shake.

phone pics 324.jpg

phone pics 325.jpg

Now we let these sit at room temperature for 18-24 hours. This is what they look like after 18 hours. They will have swelled twice their size.

phone pics 326.jpg

Give them all a good shake and dump them and the water, into a large pot. Set on stove, on high till you get a good rolling boil. Turn heat down to simmer, slight boil. Set timer for 10 minutes.

phone pics 327.jpg

phone pics 331.jpg

After 10 minutes, you will want to start checking the grain for doneness. Pull a few grains out and pinch them between your finger nails. There should no longer be any white in the grain, they should be nice n creamy, and translucent. In the picture below, the first 2 are not quite done. The last one is perfect. This batch took 15 minutes. (most times takes 15 mins)

phone pics 333.jpg

Now we want to get the grain cooled off as quickly as possible to stop the cooking. Put in a strainer, run under cold water. I will put a bowl under the strainer and have it fill up with the cold water.

phone pics 334.jpg

phone pics 335.jpg

Now that it is cooled off, strain the water, give the strainer a good shake to get off the excess moisture.

It’s time to load it into jars. I put a small amount of vermiculite on the bottom of the jars to absorb any water that settles. Coarse or Med will work.

phone pics 330.jpg

phone pics 336.jpg

Time to PC them. If you are using Tyvek as a filter lid, do not tighten the ring tight, the pressure build up can blow the Tyvek out of the ring. You can tighten them after u pull them out of the PC. Pressure cook 15psi for 90 mins.

phone pics 338.jpg

A perfectly prepped jar of Red Wheat Berries.

phone pics 345.jpg

Give the jar a tap on you palm to loosen up the grain before you noc them up. Don’t shake yet as you don’t want to disturb the verm. Once it has colonized 25% then shake it real good to distribute the wet verm into the grain.

Here is an MSS jar colonized in 21 days.

phone pics 317.jpg

I hope this helps some of you get your grain prep skills down.. This is a first in a series of teks i will be posting. Please feel free to comment and leave any suggestions or questions. All criticism is welcome.

Edited by wharfrat, 18 May 2014 - 07:34 PM.

• sinful, the_chosen_one, MLBjammer and 19 others like this

#2 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

That was beautifully written and easy to follow.

So you don't need to put the berries in front of a fan or lay them out on a towel to further dry the outsides of the berries before pressure cooking?  I guess the vermiculite evens things out after that 25% shake?

Thanks again for sharing.

• Deepmeditator likes this

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

That was beautifully written and easy to follow.

So you don't need to put the berries in front of a fan or lay them out on a towel to further dry the outsides of the berries before pressure cooking?  I guess the vermiculite evens things out after that 25% shake?

Thanks again for sharing.

Thank you! yes the verm takes care of any excess moisture. just a good shake or two of the strainer is all you need. :biggrin:

• MLBjammer and Deepmeditator like this

#4 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Old Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,570 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

Very kool man .. good results! 

Thats definitely a #1 wheat grain .. and very well explained 

• wharfrat likes this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Very kool man .. good results! 

Thats definitely a #1 wheat grain .. and very well explained 

Thank you brotha! just tryin to spread the word through good advice.

Edited by wharfrat, 18 May 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#6 fungusamongus

fungusamongus

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

Well done brotha! Just started with wheat berries since it's more accessible and affordable than rye. Do you prefer wheat to rye? 21 days from ms seems way faster...
  • wharfrat likes this

#7 mattyfresh

mattyfresh

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 301 posts

Donator

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Looks like an easily done tek, never used wheat berrys before. What kind and where might you get some for about how much? Lol great job man,
  • wharfrat likes this

#8 Jesson Tan

Jesson Tan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

Over here we do it differently. You either soaked them for 10~12hrs or you boiled them for 15minutes. (Obviously, wash the grain first). In both cases leave them to drip (after soaking or boiling) for about 20~30 minutes depend on how much grain you hv in your strainer. After that, weight them for measuring the require amount of gypsum and lime to add. 0.1~0.2% of lime and 0.5% of gypsum. We add lime due to the acidity in the water and gypsum for easy loosening those grain when it lump together. After dripping, fill them up either in a jar or pp bag and sterilized for 1~1.5hr again depend on how full you stuffed your sterilizer.

Edited by Jesson Tan, 19 May 2014 - 11:35 AM.

• sandman likes this

#9 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

Nice!
  • wharfrat likes this

#10 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

Over here we do it differently. You either soaked them for 10~12hrs or you boiled them for 15minutes. (Obviously, wash the grain first). In both cases leave them to drip (after soaking or boiling) for about 20~30 minutes depend on how much grain you hv in your strainer. After that, weight them for measuring the require amount of gypsum and lime to add. 0.1~0.2% of lime and 0.5% of gypsum. We add lime due to the acidity in the water and gypsum for easy loosening those grain when it lump together. After dripping, fill them up either in a jar or pp bag and sterilized for 1~1.5hr again depend on how full you stuffed your sterilizer.

12 soak or 15 min boil will not hydrate wheat berries. It takes at least an hour boiling to soften them, without a soak.. but thanks for your advise.
  • sandman likes this

#11 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

Looks like an easily done tek, never used wheat berrys before. What kind and where might you get some for about how much? Lol great job man,

These are hard red wheat berries, there is also white. They work the same. I buy them at local bulk foods super market for .58 cents a pound.

And to the question of rye, I haven't tried it. So can't answer that.

#12 Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Donator

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Great write up Wharfrat! Just did some wheat berries myself. I think they are a good grain to work with.
  • wharfrat likes this

#13 mattyfresh

mattyfresh

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 301 posts

Donator

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Interesting, always interested in more spawn material. I just tryed out 1967 whole oats tek and its work well right now for my isolates. I will try some of these on my next go though. Someone should start a spawn experiment with all different kinds to see which spawn is best, factors like price and speed of growth amd prep time. That be a big help. Good job man good vibes.
  • Gloid, Ricky Bobby and wharfrat like this

#14 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

Over here we do it differently. You either soaked them for 10~12hrs or you boiled them for 15minutes. (Obviously, wash the grain first).

Where is "over here"?..  and as far as washing the grain, I don't waste my time pre-washing/rinsing, it gets plenty of rinsing after cooking. if you are worried about pesticides or dirt, then wash your grains first..  :tongue:

Edited by wharfrat, 19 May 2014 - 10:46 PM.

• Cue likes this

#15 Jesson Tan

Jesson Tan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Hi,
I am in no position to give any advice here bcos i am relatively new in this hobby. 8 ). Just sharing with you guys on the different in doing thing here. (In Malaysia. I think it applies the same to Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippine too i supposed). I attend a mushroom cultivation workshop couple of years back at a local Uni and thats what was taught. I myself was quite surprise then bcos before i attended the workshop, did quite alot of checking/reading over the net and certain process were do much different. (At that time i don't know there are forums for mushroom interest).
In Malaysia, we control the moisture/water contain after soaking/boiling at 38% ideally and that includes the estimated moisture available in the grains) and should not exceed 40%.

Edited by Jesson Tan, 19 May 2014 - 11:00 PM.

• coorsmikey, Shroom La Zoom and Ricky Bobby like this

#16 fungusamongus

fungusamongus

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

Update: holly fuck is this wheat berry fast! Myc seems to love this shit
  • wharfrat likes this

#17 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Update: holly fuck is this wheat berry fast! Myc seems to love this shit

It sure does :)

#18 Xochinysius

Xochinysius

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

Wharfrat, I as well use wheat berries for spawn, so I'm very interested in what you do for the next step. 

Lately I've also been using Spelt, which for me at least seems to be fairly contaminant free. I'll even admit, I'm still quite clumsy and out dated in my materials and methods, and don't even have a glove box to work in. Even so, wheat, and spelt have been forgiving to me. 

Whats next, whats next!?! Will you show bulk?

• wharfrat likes this

#19 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,854 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Very nice Tek, thanks for sharing !  :hug:

• wharfrat likes this

#20 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Thank you X and Silly.. I am spawning to a few tubs this weekend, i will make sure to take pics and give a write up. considering the interest and positive feedback. Thanks everyone :hug:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!