#61 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

Héhé, the thing about the US was just a little snipe remark ;)

My ego having fun, if you wish. :P

My post was more about answering Awakening7's question about using LME and dextrose in his LCs...

I, for one, would love to be able to find Karo (and lots of other stuff from the US for mycology) here in Europe.

But I guess dextrose and LME are a winning combo as it's used by professional mycologists all over the world.

no offense taken. I did appreciate your input. I guess i should also make clear that "karo" is just corn syrup, ive also seen agave, honey, plain beet or cane sugar, all used with success.

• MLBjammer and SillyCone like this

#62 Awakening7

Awakening7

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Silly. I tried honey/Karo and potato/Karo but couldn't get them to come out of the PC clear. I ended up using straight Karo at 3% and it seems like the growth has stopped. I made a another Karo LC at 6% and transferred some mycelium to that and it's doing good. I'll have to order some LME and try that combo you suggested. I also started to PC @ 10 PSI / 30 min. I read that 5 PSI / 25 min works fine. I use quart jars with 400 ml distilled h2o.

#63 SillyCone

SillyCone

Wounded Healer

• OG VIP
  • 2,850 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

Héhé, the thing about the US was just a little snipe remark ;)
My ego having fun, if you wish. :P

My post was more about answering Awakening7's question about using LME and dextrose in his LCs...
I, for one, would love to be able to find Karo (and lots of other stuff from the US for mycology) here in Europe.
But I guess dextrose and LME are a winning combo as it's used by professional mycologists all over the world.

no offense taken. I did appreciate your input. I guess i should also make clear that "karo" is just corn syrup, ive also seen agave, honey, plain beet or cane sugar, all used with success.
No offense meant either ;)

Karo is just corn syrup ? Why did you wait this year to tell me that ? ;)
I bet corn syrup in the USA is 100% GMO/Monsanto ?
In short, might be good for the mycelium, but don't dare to eat that poison yourself ;)
(not because it's GMO - still has to be proven, because it's a VERY BAD form of sugar, and they put it everywhere so we're addicted and can't think straight)
I've tried Stevia syrup but had no success...
Then brown honey but couldn't see through well enough, then acacia honey (pale yellow) which is much better for visibility but I'll experiment again with dextrose and LME for my next LCs.

Thanks Silly. I tried honey/Karo and potato/Karo but couldn't get them to come out of the PC clear. I ended up using straight Karo at 3% and it seems like the growth has stopped. I made a another Karo LC at 6% and transferred some mycelium to that and it's doing good. I'll have to order some LME and try that combo you suggested. I also started to PC @ 10 PSI / 30 min. I read that 5 PSI / 25 min works fine. I use quart jars with 400 ml distilled h2o.

I'd be curious to know what happens with your 6% LC... Can you keep us informed somewhere ?
Good idea about using different PSIs and timings, though my PC has a PSI gauge, I never realized it could be used at less than 15 PSI and still sterilise "stuff" ;)
Silly me ;)

Edited by SillyCone, 15 June 2014 - 08:38 PM.

• twoguysupnorth likes this

#64 Awakening7

Awakening7

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

Sure, I'll post an update in my Transkei thread in a couple of days. This is a thread that was suggested to me a wile ago.https://mycotopia.ne...plan on trying.

"IME 3% makes for better and faster germination if one is starting from MS. 5% will last a lil longer but seems to also start off slower in the beginning. I like to start off with 2-3% then supplement with more nutes later. I like to boil some wheat berries or potato slices, strain the water into a pint jar then PC. Then I'll use that juice to to supplement an LC. About 10 cc to a pint LC. It will get a lil cloudy at first but the myc will take off big time. After about week the LC is crystal clear again but with fat cloud of myc. Just though I would throw that out there. Like bear said you could always make more LC's too, which is good incase one goes bad on you. Not that big of deal with MS but if you have a good isolate all in one LC it is good to have some back ups."
  • SillyCone likes this

#65 Awakening7

Awakening7

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

That didn't post with all my text. The link is Irishlions honey/karo tek. It's a good read. He ends up using 7.5%. I wish I could get my LC's that thick that fast.

The quote was a post by Coorsmikey. I have three new strains on the way so I'll be experimenting soon.

Sorry for thread jacking and moving off topic Wharf :)

#66 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Sorry for thread jacking and moving off topic Wharf :)

no worries mate

#67 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

very nice. i used to follow a similar method in the days of wheat berries. clean  and to the point.

#68 BetweenDimensionalPassings

BetweenDimensionalPassings

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 502 posts

Donator

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

Always wondered about these grains because they seem like the more preferred grains in my WBS when colonizing, that and yellow millet. 

#69 Blueringer

Blueringer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

I like it, it reminds me of the tek I use with added verm.  :tongue:

If you spread your grains out on a sheet or towel to dry after hydrating them, the steam will escape and the exterior of the berries will be nice and dry...making verm not necessary.

Edited by Blueringer, 18 August 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#70 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the write up wharfrat. I may be in the market for either some rye or wheat berries. Just watched the RodgerRabbit video series through again and yours seems about the same as his preparation for rye berries.

Bookmarked this and will come back to it later when needed for reference depending on what ends up being cheaper for me - wheat or rye berries.

• Heirloom likes this

#71 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

If you spread your grains out on a sheet or towel to dry after hydrating them, the steam will escape and the exterior of the berries will be nice and dry...making verm not necessary.

i like using the verm and not drying the berries, the wet verm is shaken in at the 25% mark, and give a little moister back the the grains that was lost during colonization

• AGAMA, torn2bits and Heirloom like this

#72 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:02 PM

couldn't find.. needed a bump :biggrin:

• mushfun likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!