Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 11 votes

What did you do to your cacti/botanical garden today (pictures welcome)

• Please log in to reply
2058 replies to this topic

#2041 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 479 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

@HrVanker, When I need advice I stick with what sky has to say, he helped me every step of the way with all my cacti. I dont live in an area where starting cacti seed would really be possible outside i get temps in ghe high 90s low 100s but its low 70s for me now here. My first year with the lophs was a harsh learning curve for me the trichocereus were easy i only lost the ones i culled. Lophs on the other hand went from 70 seeds down to 6 plants from March of 2019. By any means grow how seems best for your situation but it sounds like your growing season is going to end right at the time the little lophs start needing to be hardened off and that is where I lost all most all of my lophs.... i think you could have great success because I'm not naturally good with plants but I was successful so your chances should be high
  • Skywatcher and HrVanker like this

#2042 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 479 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:23 AM

I know this doesn't look like much but this is a p.viridis that I started as a leaf and grew into a plant just for a rabbit or some other rodent to eat... well I didn't toss the stem or root mostly from laziness because I have a coffee plant in a pot but stacked inside the other pot again laziness here. But im moving everything inside because temps are getting wacky outside and low and behold it looks as though this viridis has sent out new growth!!!!! This plant and its need for high humidity have been an issue for me. But glad to see i didn't lose it

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200918_091818.jpg

• Skywatcher, Boebs and YoshiTrainer like this

#2043 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:53 PM

I want to grow that variety, we have a wild coffee that grows around here, but no information on the chemical make up that i can find..

I bet it would do good as i am in zone 9 /9.5

#2044 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:57 PM

It's starting to get cold here, so I moved the tender plants indoors. Here are a few favorites:

Banisteriopsis caapi

caapi.jpg

Salvia divinorum

salvia.jpg

Psychotria viridis is hard to grow in my climate, which is very dry half the year. This plant gets really unhappy in cold, low humidity settings, but as long as it survives until next summer I think it will recover.

psychotria.jpg

Found a volunteer datura in a flower pot in the corner of the yard. Pretty flowers, at least...

datura.jpg

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 5 others like this

#2045 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:04 AM

Today I spent some time researching LED fixtures for my ever growing cacti collection instead of putting them into complete dormancy for winter.

Since I keep acquiring more specimens and my existing specimens put on some good growth the past two years I figured they might benefit from some quality indoor light. My collection primarily consists of Trichocereus variants such as lumberjack, SS02, Eileen, CAJB, terscheckii, san pedro, peruvian torch, scopulicola x olivia, lumberjack x icaros dna, scopulicola etc. I've got some pereskiopsis but those are quite low maintenance.

I have about 1400 cactus seeds, from various vendors like misplant, that I'm going to start some small batches over winter as well. Those won't need to reside under this intense of a LED though.

I'm considering a 600W LED. I already have a 4' eight bulb high-output T5 fixture that consumes about 430watts and doesn't provide nearly enough light for the adult specimens. I had a few of these in a closet under that T5 fixture last winter but the thorns on several of the bridgesii barely grew at all even though they were still putting on vertical growth. Luckily they didn't etiolate but you can tell the winter T5 section of growth is different from the thorns alone lol.

Since the cacti are going to be a long term companion I figured maybe spoil them! :biggrin: :biggrin:

• Coopdog and Boebs like this

#2046 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:02 AM

I'm going to do the same thing Detritus. I usually winter mine over in my unheated bathroom, but last year they finally got tall enough that they were getting a small amount of light from the covered window, and started to etoliate two months before it was warm enough to put them outdoors. They only grew about 4-5 inches like that, but now they look funky and I may take all the tops if I can find a lighting system that works for them. I am thinking 4 ft flourescents standing on end, at least three fixtures. I also have two 12x18 inch 400 watt LED plates I can hang vertically in the mix. Hoping this works well for them as they are shoulder height and have been mostly healthy and thick. This year they did not add much vertical height at all it seemed compared to the last few years. I will post pics in here once I set them up. I brought them indoors last night as we have had surprise frost here as early as mid September before. 

• Skywatcher likes this

#2047 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 479 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:58 AM

Will they get thicker and recover from etoliation?
  • Boebs likes this

#2048 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:03 AM

No. Once they have grown out like that, that will always be visible. They usally will snap off once they get taller and fatter. But that etolated area will always stay off looking.

When it has happened to me, i let it grow a little past it and cut off the tip about where it started and root it as a separate plant.
  • coorsmikey, Coopdog, Arathu and 2 others like this

#2049 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 479 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:15 PM

good to know
  • Boebs likes this

#2050 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:50 PM

Yep, they don't really get over it. Mine all have an hourglass figure from lean times and times before I got the hibernation times right. Mine never put on any growth this year after etoliating in the bathroom last winter. I am not sure why they didn't grow. Might be a bit rootbound, but they are in pretty damn big pots. I am going to have to invest in damn near a skid of cactus soil next summer, or maybe here soon if I can get them growing well indoors. A whole new learning curve to get on top of. My intention is to err on the side of a LOT of light. Seen other's use T-5's and regular tubes doing top lighting and never seen it go well. I am going to go with side lighting and minimal top lighting and see how that works out. Mine have usually put on 6-12 inches every summer. I have 4 giant size top cuts of a Peruvian Torch, San Pedro cross that is said to be a good one for alkaloid content. They are laying on top of a box in the closet and are finally showing roots and need planted. They are two feet long and 4-5 inches thick on top of my half a dozen regulars. Time to do a batch of sludge I think and cut back on the bulk a bit. I have been planning on doing that for quite some time, and in that time I have been adding to my collection.

• Boebs likes this

#2051 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:18 PM

Best ive seen indoor cactus grown was under high pressure sodium bulbs. They like the full spectrum and higher heat than florescent lights seem to produce.
Then again, if you can flower buds under led i bet cactus would do ok
  • HrVanker and Sicshroom like this

#2052 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:45 AM

The place I have now has a 8'x10' greenhouse that has all of the panels shattered or missing. The frame is solid so I was thinking about replacing the panels with a clear plastic or new panels. I just recently moved here so I haven't had much time to put any love into it or do the required research. It would be really cool to be able to keep my collection in there during winter as I wouldn't have to ween them outside as drastically to avoid sunburn.

I have doubts about being able to keep the greenhouse up the require temps throughout winter though being in zone 4/5. I could acquire a bunch of 55 gallon blue barrels or a large IBC container and fill those with water to create a heat sink from drastic temperature swings. I've also seen some pretty cool DIY solar heaters where people have made passive airflow heaters with window screens or painting soda cans black. Maybe that in combination with the water heat sink. I could also drag them into the garage during severe weather.

If anyone has some great resources for that I'd love some links or ideas. I will try playing around with that this winter and do some experimenting with the greenhouse empty. Make use of this arduino that's been needing a dedicated project for some temperature data logging. I'd hate to kill or severely stress out my cacti when I have the means to take care of them properly indoors.

Edited by DetritusTheEgo, 25 September 2020 - 12:49 AM.

• Skywatcher and psilyguy808 like this

#2053 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:01 AM

Side by side of scopulicola grafts.
Pereskiopsis and opuntia

These were grafted the same time and same age seedlings.
Resized_20190615_190645_8067.jpeg

They both have 8 areolas. However the size is very different.

Edited by Boebs, 27 September 2020 - 12:02 AM.

• psilyguy808, Alpoehi and YoshiTrainer like this

#2054 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,165 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:29 AM

moved my pots under an outdoor shed roof to begin the no rain and no watering preparation for overwintering indoors

we had a frost a few nights back and none were damaged but that was warning enough for me

• Sicshroom, Boebs, psilyguy808 and 1 other like this

#2055 psilyguy808

psilyguy808

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 117 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:24 AM

Did some transplanting today, these SS02×Eileen were getting too crowded in the container they sprouted in. Bezevo, I'm still planning on sending you some healthy seedlings when they are big enough to handle shipping dce134142915392962d7bcfd1c6234eb.jpg541d4f0f93611cb5048e1905bd1acff4.jpg
  • Skywatcher, HrVanker, Sicshroom and 3 others like this

#2056 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 882 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:19 PM

UPDATE ! psilyguy808

You were VERY KIND ! and sent some seeds IracosDNA and a baggie of soil with 20 or so little tiny  SS02×Eileen seedlings , they looked like sand burrs ha!

i pasteurized some soil and planted using the TAK-OUT Tek , using a vented sub-sandwich  container.

19  of theSS02×Eileen seedlings  recovered , but after a week or 2 .....two died right  and two that didn't look so hot i tried grafting, they failed !

So far i have 14 of the SS02×Eileen seedlings left .Each about 3/4 " tall 1/4 " thick ,about the size of those you posted . i will transplant a few soon and try few more grafts ,

I planted 10 IracosDNA seeds  ,four  germinated they are tiny i need to transplant as soil sprouted Green Moss , heck !

Is there any thing that  will kill or inhibit moss without harming seedlings ?

the two other cuttings sprouting tiny roots slowly THANKS !

Edited by bezevo, 27 September 2020 - 01:42 PM.

• Sicshroom, Boebs and Alpoehi like this

#2057 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 420 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:26 PM

i pasteurized some soil and planted using the TAK-OUT Tek , using a vented sub-sandwich  container.

19  of theSS02×Eileen seedlings  recovered , but after a week or 2 .....two died right  and two that didn't look so hot i tried grafting, they failed !

So far i have 14 of the SS02×Eileen seedlings left .Each about 3/4 " tall 1/4 " thick ,about the size of those you posted . i will transplant a few soon and try few more grafts ,

I planted 10 IracosDNA seeds  ,four  germinated they are tiny i need to transplant as soil sprouted Green Moss , heck !

Is there any thing that  will kill or inhibit moss without harming seedlings ?

the two other cuttings sprouting tiny roots slowly THANKS !

Moss is not harmful when the seedlings have grown up a bit. Moss indicates that the soil is wet all the time and the surrounding air of high humidity. Maybe you lost some of your seedlings because they have been kept too wet.

I'm just speculating here, leading to the next thing I'm gonna suggest.

If you encounter algae or moss growth you should try spraying the soil once a week with a solution made from 3% H2O2.

Simply add 3ml H2O2 (3% solution) to 1 ltr water and spray a small amount on the soil. You can also spray the seedlings with it.

If you can, don't use tap water. There's chlorine in it. Better use rain water.

But generally I would be very careful not to give your seedlings too much of water, be it with H2O2 or pure water.

The H2O2 gives the roots of the seedlings oxygen so that they will recover faster from excess water supply, that's the whole trick. H2O2 will also destroy fungi and other microorganism like algae and bacteria.

I remember my first batch of lophs I've grown. One survived! And that is only because I grafted it on pereskiopsis. Then my first batch of panachoi. One survivor, well rooted now. So don"t give up too soon it's worth it. Good luck!

• Boebs and psilyguy808 like this

#2058 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 959 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 08:14 PM

H2o2 is a great addition to most garden soils.
I use it in my potmatoes, gives them nice fluffy soil for strong roots.
Works great in cactus soil too, helps drainage and kills most things that you dont want in there.
  • psilyguy808 likes this

#2059 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 479 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 PM

Grafts are doing great the one on the mystery stock seems to have taken. Both ariocarpus are growing great

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200928_172031.jpg
  • 20200928_172045.jpg
  • 20200928_172111.jpg
  • 20200928_172204.jpg

• psilyguy808 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!