Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 11 votes

What did you do to your cacti/botanical garden today (pictures welcome)

• Please log in to reply
2486 replies to this topic

#2461 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,871 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:22 AM

Holy shit! Something stole my prized hedgehog. Hopefully I find it growing in the ground...

gone.JPG

Tunas popping need to check a bigger patch.

tuna.JPG

• Skywatcher, Oam and LoneRanger like this

#2462 Oam

Oam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 325 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:16 PM

I’ve taken an interest in these guys and here is what I have so far. Some prickly pear, dragon fruit, and the smaller ones are unknowns from my yard. I have no clue what I’m doing, but for some reason, I’m drawn to them as painful as the learning process has been. I’d like to explore further in the deep end of this area once I learn how to properly care for them. 5e3e669e6de9c8578bf6b25ee2267241.jpg1fb013e57f33226a88d612c32fdf8d98.jpg
fc9338300ef6100110374f7f3cdfc401.jpg
070f4a72aacfea3f095d2e373f2a610a.jpg
60e527b14193853011d65f1046bd244f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Oam, 16 October 2021 - 01:17 PM.

• Skywatcher, YoshiTrainer, Mycol and 1 other like this

#2463 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:26 PM

I finally got around to potting up some cuttings I got awhile back and when I unwrapped them one had some brown creeping up the shaft probably to halfway . Was it rotting or just running out of water or???

I can try and get a pic tomorrow .

Put them into some bagged cacti soil mix that was slightly moist to the touch so I didn’t add any water to them . They’re inside and out of direct sunlight .
  • HrVanker and YoshiTrainer like this

#2464 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:50 PM

I finally got around to potting up some cuttings I got awhile back and when I unwrapped them one had some brown creeping up the shaft probably to halfway . Was it rotting or just running out of water or???

I can try and get a pic tomorrow .

Put them into some bagged cacti soil mix that was slightly moist to the touch so I didn’t add any water to them . They’re inside and out of direct sunlight .

Could be rot, could be corking. If the brown spot is softer than the surrounding green, it's probably rot. What were they wrapped in? Could have been too humid which allowed mold/rot to take hold.

If it is rot, drying out might work, or it could require surgery. If it's a thicker hard brown shell, it's corking which is basically surface scarring caused by surface irritation.

I've also heard that bagged cactus mix is seldom good for cacti. Not sure what you have, but I know that Miracle Gro mix is basically just coir.
  • Mycol likes this

#2465 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 07:09 AM

Looks like corking . The room could’ve had some humidity issues as I’ve found a small crack in the wall where some water seeped through .

They were wrapped in paper towels .

The soil mix looked like a bunch of coir when I was filling the pots . I’ve got pea gravel and sand I can cut it with maybe a 1:1:1 ?

Is that pup sending off a root ?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• HrVanker and YoshiTrainer like this

#2466 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2021 - 04:40 PM

It's time for the annual migration of pots from deck to covered porch. Usually by the first of October I have the pots out of the rain and under a roof but still outdoors so they don't get any more rain but still have good sunlight.

Then, BOOM, just before the first frost they all get humped down into the basement into a dark room and forced into a dry dormancy.  Works like a charm to prevent etoliation up here in the Great Lakes Icebox.

• HrVanker, Sicshroom, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#2467 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2021 - 04:59 PM

Gotta figure out what to do w/ my pair of cacti. I suspect that both could use a re-pot w/ better soil, I don't think the sand is cutting it nutrition-wise. I'll also have to cut and root the etiolated section so it doesn't topple over. To give an idea of how the Psych0×Kathleen grew: the 8th areole from the soil was the top when I received it 11/2020.

The loph will go on the North porch to overwinter, it seemed to enjoy that last year. But I may just move the Psych0×Kathleen back a few feet so it's mostly shaded, but still gets a ton of indirect sun.

Their first year wasn't ideal, but it's exciting to have some more cuttings, grafting stock, etc.6934604ac474d37e46c5836fd97dcb26.jpg
cb9af4e45744b87c0cd3fffe0c92a983.jpg

Edited by HrVanker, 20 October 2021 - 04:59 PM.

• Skywatcher, wharfrat, Oam and 2 others like this

#2468 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:36 PM

nice looking peyote there!

you can mix some well composted cow poo and a commercial cactus soil with your sand and do just fine. looks like the column would like a balanced fertilizer too.

• HrVanker likes this

#2469 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:05 PM

nice looking peyote there!

you can mix some well composted cow poo and a commercial cactus soil with your sand and do just fine. looks like the column would like a balanced fertilizer too.

Yeah, that's basically the plan: perlite, compost, sand. I was using the Schultz cactus fertilizer that goes directly in the pot, but I was inconsistent and I'm out.

#2470 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:13 AM

My Tunjo started rooting on top of the graftstock. Found it impossible to remove from the graftstock so I did the weirdest thing I ever did: I cut the roots of the rootstock and planted alltogether in carefully selected mineral soil. I give it minimal amounts of water during winter season so let's see what will happen.
17a69dd04c15d1518ede1a494b9277ff.jpg
b0c10929290535574a8ac8c0d21285d4.jpg
bad8a854115a4c990bf6d094f7aaecaa.jpg
  • Skywatcher, Sicshroom, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#2471 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,995 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:47 AM

I would have done the same Alpoehi. Where the roots were growing out, is the widest part of the cactus, and rooting it at that point will give it the most stability, and the most mass of roots for optimal feeding and growth from this point on.

• Sicshroom and Alpoehi like this

#2472 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:07 AM

Some say lophs like growing in groups.
True for that container:

3700af62b5f130dbba41e1ff17eca419.jpg

I purchased a tub with 6 of such containers inside of it. With 2 clamps on its sides for pressing the lid almost tight to the tub you can create near perfect conditions for growing cacti seeds - very humid and warm.
I use a heat mat for reptiles under the box to raise the temperature to a minimum of 90 F.

Ironically lophs and tricho seedlings want tropical climate - if not to say rainforest constant raining conditions - for the first weeks.

After a month or so I remove the heat mat to make the climate more moderate, also to prevent rotting of the lophs in particular.

Lophs do well in the first few weeks, the more difficult time comes after that. I remember from my first loph culture only one survived and that because I grafted it.

I could well leave the heat mat where it is but I already use it for the next culture: Trichos on pure mineral substrate. I used a sieve to get to some 2 millimeter granulate from lava, pumice and other mineral compounds. Now I'm going to make experiments with lophs on pure mineral substrate.

e429f8fd2393a46a2777d9c7528b38a3.jpg
  • Skywatcher, YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus and 1 other like this

#2473 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2021 - 11:20 AM

Looks like corking . The room could’ve had some humidity issues as I’ve found a small crack in the wall where some water seeped through .

They were wrapped in paper towels .

The soil mix looked like a bunch of coir when I was filling the pots . I’ve got pea gravel and sand I can cut it with maybe a 1:1:1 ?

Is that pup sending off a root ?

Sorry for the late reply: that looks like corking to me as well. And yes, that pup is putting off roots.

You could probably cut and root the pup. Or you could re-orient the cutting horizontally w/ the pup roots in the soil. That may help the rooting process for the main cutting, and you'll get a lot more pups coming off it. Or just leave it and see what happens.

You could probably get away w/ the coir so long as you are careful w/ watering. You just don't want it to be sitting in damp soil for too long. Perlite or gravel may help w/ airflow to dry it more quickly. IME, sand can hold onto water pretty well and may not be good to mix in w/ the coir.
  • Mycol likes this

#2474 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,871 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:01 PM

Has anyone used Crumps succulent and cacti mix?

Can’t find ingredients. It’s mostly mineral and hardly any soil. It’s volcanic rock and maybe brick?

It’s worked for lophs but I started prodding as they were growing from the rocks

#2475 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,295 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:54 PM

Mycol, looks like corking, shouldn't be a problem. The pups tend to break off and root into the soil. Before you know it, you'll have a pot full of them, blooming.

Good luck!
  • Mycol likes this

#2476 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,871 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2021 - 06:10 PM

Got a heating mat and made 2 more trays of some lophs. This mix has worked well for germing lophs in past. Now I'll try and leave 'em be. 

https://johnsonsgard...g-mix-4-qt.html
Expensive stuff but the mom and pop local nursery has it. 

http://www.new-mexic...ter_2019_01.pdf

Well guess Crump is a greenhouse localish. Some tips if you search his name on repotting and not sure what else. (currently skimming)

Edited by rockyfungus, 02 November 2021 - 06:20 PM.

#2477 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,871 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2021 - 10:16 AM

Potted some cut up PCs. Replanted some trichs. Scared I was a bit aggressive here, really hard to get these guys in this minerally mix.

pc.JPG

ik.JPG
Assuming it's the wrong season to graft. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 03 November 2021 - 10:18 AM.

• HrVanker, Sicshroom, Boebs and 1 other like this

#2478 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 06:28 PM

I finally repotted all my cacti last week, and it was quite an adventure. The main hurdle was that I ended up ordering Fox Farm Ocean Forest because someone in the reviews stated that its NPK was .4-.1-.7 (wasn't stated in description, or visible in photos), I had some bone meal to boost the phosphorous a bit, and I was mixing it w/ perlite as well as sand. However, the actual values on the bag were .3-.45-.05.

After a bunch of research, I decided that my best course of action was to use some wood ash to boost the potassium. So I used some wood charcoal ash, weighed it out to bring the potassium up around .4 (ended up being ~2g/qt of soil). I then mixed the soil w/ equal volumes of perlite, and the sand that the cacti had been potted in.

The seedlings are really looking great. After re-potting, I put them on the north side of the building, and covered them w/ a white cloth. After a week of that, I uncovered them and they have only gotten greener, no red yet (which would happen before). The pot on the left is Ikaros, the right is open pollinated Kathleen.

I also re-potted the Psych0 cross, but didn't realize how root bound it was. I didn't have any pots big enough, so I cut the top off of a water jug and cut a lot of slits in it to help dry the soil. I think I have to find a 2gal pot so it has some room to grow.

I also cut the etiolated growth from the Psych0×Kathleen. That cutting was cut into 3×5-6" cuts and left to callous for a week. The end cut looks really good. I doubt that there are any roots yet, but the growth before I chopped was looking great. The other two cuttings are rooting log style.

De-potting my loph was not very easy. The sand was so compacted, but I managed to coax it out with some gentle squeezing. The root structure was really nice, stretching all the way to the bottom but not root bound. The tiny cluster got its own pot, as well.

I should have taken pics of the roots and stuff, but I didn't think of it at the time. And the white powder is a sprinkling of rooting hormone that I forgot to do when potting. I gave them a touch of water just to wash some into the soil, but not enough to make things damp.e2214fdb2752009a5cbfa107c890b165.jpg6b4b0d157ced978953ca0c2effd5faab.jpg5a5f113ad663169eb942dfb54d13fe39.jpg15c8a164029480c02a9625037a04ae84.jpg
  • Skywatcher, Sicshroom, Boebs and 3 others like this

#2479 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 620 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2021 - 12:27 PM

That double flower though

Attached Thumbnails

• 20211122_122403.jpg

• Skywatcher, HrVanker, wharfrat and 2 others like this

#2480 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 515 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:34 PM

That double flower though

Looking good!! I can't wait to see flowers and mature tufts on my lophs.
  • Skywatcher and Sicshroom like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!