Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 10 votes

What did you do to your cacti/botanical garden today (pictures welcome)

• Please log in to reply
977 replies to this topic

#961 meyer

meyer

Its better to burn out, than fade away...

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

Very nice Heirloom!! I am going to order some rock wool now, I have been procrastinating since my last experience with the 75 seeds has resulted in many tiny lil deaths of young Lophs, actually, many is prob being generous, I only had 5 sprout, but managed to kill them all, only have 1 Peruvian Torch left out of the 50 I planted, so I want a better plan this time when I plant these next group of seeds.

Btw, I love the collection, really growing...

Edited by meyer, 21 July 2017 - 06:38 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#962 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,849 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

I have a Stevia (sugar replacement for me) expansion experiment going on right now.....it's moving to the next phase because phase 1 worked well..........

Since it's pouring down rain right now I'll get some photo's later............basically I took a side stem, still connected to Mom and pulled it over to another pot of dirt to see if it would root.......

It did.......so now I'm going to take one of my plants and re-pot her in a large container and root almost all of her side shoots.......to make a massive bush of sugar substitute........

I chew the leaves, man are they sweet!

Photo's coming....probably a thread documenting it too..........The Dirtmaker's Acre is all about growing what we need to survive...............

Dig it man.........

• Skywatcher, Heirloom , meyer and 1 other like this

#963 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

I've thought about growing stevia maybe I will just for fun and of course to sweeten foods I know a few people who could use this to reduce their sugar intake.

Seems nature has provided all we need
  • Arathu and Nsnail like this

#964 Zozo

Zozo

The green paladin

• Free Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hi all ,

Today I was in the nursery to buy cacti soil ...
I found nice cheep Pedro that I bought , I will show you later 

But I took some nice pictures there  

Cacti_170721.jpg  Cacti 170721_5.jpg

Cacti 170721_4.jpg  Cacti 170721_2.jpg  

Enjoy

Zozo

• Skywatcher, Heirloom and Nsnail like this

#965 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,002 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

Any idea what that last one is, with the flowers on top?  Very cool swirl.

#966 meyer

meyer

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

The lateset addition to my trich collection, sold to me as: Trichocereus Peruvianus, Icaros DNA, Huge tip cutting w/ roots (True Blue)

A very nice 4" by 17.5" Peruvian, was told it was part of a broken limb that fell in a high wind storm. It looks like the real deal to me, I planted it today with roots and all and feel like I will have to pot up next year, if not sooner. Here are some photos. I put my tallest Bridgesii by it for comparison purposes:

This is nothing if not large, may need to move out of tha apartment just for this one:

Big Blue   1

Big Blue   2

Big Blue   3

Who said size matters!?

Big Blue   4

Edited by meyer, 23 July 2017 - 04:49 PM.

• Zozo, Arathu, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#967 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,849 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

Holy shit! You're gonna need a much larger pot..........hahahahaha AWESOME!

A

• meyer and DualWieldRake like this

#968 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,117 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

I have a couple Icaros meyer. Be prepared, these add mass like crazy during the growing season. Seeing your beautiful new addition shows me the huge girth is a genetic trait, as mine continues to get fatter as well as adding height.

Yes, you are going to need a bigger pot....................

• meyer likes this

#969 meyer

meyer

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

Does anyone know how special this one can sparkle? I imagine this one will sprout an arm or two while growing taller and fatter... If so, I could take an arm in the future. What do you think Skye, how do yours grow? I really have no plans to cut this one anytime soon, I have plenty of other options before I would even consider that, but I am curious, how it growes and how well it shines?

#970 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

(~);}

• App Administrator
  • 3,155 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

I figure this is a good place to ask...has anyone ordered from world seed supply lately? Their checkout page has said they have too many wholesale orders at the moment and are only processing through email. Anyone managed to order that way?

WSS is still a go. I order via email with him all the time and have no issues. Without giving up to much info, let's just say it's much like purchasing VIP or donations here at Mycotopia.
  • Heirloom and Nsnail like this

#971 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Gold VIP
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

I figure this is a good place to ask...has anyone ordered from world seed supply lately? Their checkout page has said they have too many wholesale orders at the moment and are only processing through email. Anyone managed to order that way?

WSS is still a go. I order via email with him all the time and have no issues. Without giving up to much info, let's just say it's much like purchasing VIP or donations here at Mycotopia.

Thank you, faith is restored ❤️
  • Heirloom likes this

#972 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,558 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

I've been averaging 90 minutes a day for the last month either up-potting  cactus  or weeding,watering, and picking in my food plot.

The cactus stuff is under control so most attentions are going to food.

My routine is to get up early, go to the garden and water while I pick, then bring it home and refrigerate until I get home from work or whatev, then spend the hour cleaning up the produce and either pickling or freezing it.

I believe it's possible I will fill a large chest freezer with frozen produce before this season is over. We can't eat all that so I'll likely do some distributions among nearby family and a friend or two.

And none of them get any cactus.....that's for special friends    :)

• Skywatcher, invisibilitysyndrome, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#973 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,287 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

Hey all

So I may have gotten a little carried away with a few of my cactus.
They are tritch various types. They were started from seed four years prior and have only been out doors for the last two.

So the question that I have is. "Do cacti get bugs"
Virtually all of my cactus have brown spots round to oblong and also the spines seem to be affected.

I dug out a few of the spots and could not determine weather or not there were worms or grubs or what have you because they were either too small or nonexistent so I pose the question to y'all do cactus get bugs and besides possible worms what else?

Thank y'all fer the help

#974 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

Invisibility don't dig at the spots they are scabs from injury bug bites...ect. When you dig you open them up to infection.

Cactus get bit by bugs for sure use sulpher dust others use cinnamon dust lightly as needed.

#975 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,287 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

[quote name="Heirloom " post="1328895" timestamp="1501269789"]Invisibility don't dig at the spots they are scabs from injury bug bites...ect. When you dig you open them up to infection.Cactus get bit by bugs for sure use sulpher dust others use cinnamon dust lightly as needed.[/quot

Right on yea i made a conscious effort to stay rational and not go crazy.
I did clean the wound.
Thnx man

#976 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,117 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Trichs are notorious for getting dark spots and blotches on the skin. Higher humidity seems to increase the occurance. I am very dry most all the time, and do not get as many, but still see some show up from time to time. If you do nothing, like trying to pick the black scabby spot off, leaving it alone it will often decrease in size or even disappear again. I have seen a lot of different possible causes named, but to be honest I dont think it can be attributed to any one thing.  I mention the humidity, because that is the only factor that I have seen that increases the amount or frequency of these "black spots" showing up. 

#977 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,558 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:53 AM

RE: Icaros DNA

they are much sought after on the other cactus forums for their rarity up north and their sparkle which I've heard rumored at around 3X normal

I got a column labeled "Icaros" a few years back which I abused, neglected, and finally started treating right last year. It's growing better than most now and may be ready to assay next summer and still be sure of being able to propagate.

I'm pretty sure Skye has a cutting of this same plant. Maybe he knows something about sparkle???

RE: black weeping spots

My observation is that they show up right after purchase and shipping, or right after manhandling them. This may be because they're poked by the spines of others in the same pot or by small areas of significant bruising, which is how I think of them - as little infections. Haven't seen one of these kill a column ever and usually don't grow much once you've seen them. I've ignored them and I've lanced them but they seem to be on their own healing timer regardless of what you do. But I haven't had one in five years or more so maybe we learn things about handling them as experience is accumulated.

Edited by pharmer, 31 July 2017 - 04:59 AM.

• Skywatcher and meyer like this

#978 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,117 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

I'm pretty sure Skye has a cutting of this same plant. Maybe he knows something about sparkle???

I do indeed, thank you my friend. The first pup is now 14" tall, and 5" diameter at the top. The same little cutting this came from, now has a new pup 2" diameter and 4"tall. It also has a base pup about 1" tall which seems to be on hold untill the larger is removed to grow its own roots.

Not bad for a small 2.5 " start................................

As far as "sparkle"..........................

I have never heard this term until meyer used it. If I interpret it correctly, it refers to the potency of a particular genetic strain. I have not tried Icaros, but my experience is that the fat, very blue varieties are multiples more potent. This is based on a go with Jule's Giant.

Actually, when my cactus are happy, they all "sparkle" at me when I am with them anyway.............................

• meyer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!