Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 11 votes

What did you do to your cacti/botanical garden today (pictures welcome)

• Please log in to reply
1369 replies to this topic

#1361 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

Yea thats a pretty accurate way in explaining how big they can get. The toothpick cactus can get huge tho
  • wildedibles likes this

#1362 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,038 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

Yea thats a pretty accurate way in explaining how big they can get. The toothpick cactus can get huge tho

Ya up here we mostly think of trees as the ons we see outside .....Im mixed the really Northern forest with sime of the south but we do get really long cold winters here so most stuff to the south just dont live up here...even our Canadian cacti a prickely pear variety even needs more warmth and protection then outdoors here I keep mine in for the winter maybe one year I will grow pup and try it outside but for now better safe then sorry

... Mom liked the names :)

Edited by wildedibles, 11 May 2019 - 02:38 PM.

• Boebs likes this

#1363 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:45 PM

Too cold for me.. always could build a greenhouse!! Just moved my cacti in mine today
Might not be too pretty but it will get the job done20190511_114009.jpg
  • Skywatcher likes this

#1364 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

Good job on a greenhouse anyways. My friend has a bunch of doors for me and she built a really nice one for herself. She got them as they were taken off someone's sunporch so they were all one size and style. Looks nice. She raises her baby birds in it though in spring. Turkeys chickens ect. I'm going to go and see if I can get a whole set like she did.

I had a torch I grew from seed and it was over 10 years old but still only 6 inches in a small pot. Would have been bigger if I had transplanted it. Finally died , one of the ones that froze this year. I was surprised a couple years ago when we found a real wild prickly pear outdoors. First I had ever seen even though they say they are natives here. My garden ones die back pretty hard but do survive with small pads only coming out.
  • Boebs likes this

#1365 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:46 AM

I have the pieces to a 12 x 24 low hoop house we built with a kit available that has the bender for certain sizes and uses top rails from galvanized fencing. It's pretty cool. I am using half hoops to put a 6 foot wide 12 long up against the side of the chicken coop this year. I'll get to the regular size again but want a 16ft wide instead of 12. I found directions to build it into a Caterpillar style it's called. Same ribs and everything but the plastic is put on differently and the ends are staked out to finish them instead of building solid end caps. Should be easier than fitting in the ends and more airtight I think.
  • Boebs likes this

#1366 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:49 AM

I'm putting together an order for some plants I've wanted. Silvervine which is a kind of hardy kiwi really but the cats love it just like catnip. It will cover our too sunny west window during the summer for heat reasons. Also some elderberry for fruit and medicine. Just gotta pull the trigger.
  • Boebs likes this

#1367 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

Loving how blue this bridgesii seedling is becoming.
I almost want to cut the other two off so promote better growth of the one

#1368 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

Loving how blue this bridgesii seedling is becoming.
I almost want to cut the other two off so promote better growth of the one

• Skywatcher likes this

#1369 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:38 PM

Trichocereus macrogonus
One seedling cut into 3,
2 slab grafts and the tip.
I wish the tip had a better union.. but its growing.20190519_105422.jpg 20190519_105426.jpg 20190519_105436.jpg 20190519_115016.jpg

#1370 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Trichocereus bridgesii seedling, graft on pereskiopsis.
Appears to be cresting. 20190519_111258.jpg

Fingers crossed.
  • Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!