85 replies to this topic

#81 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:18 PM

Hi,

I would like to tell my story about drinking and quitting I hope that it sparks something in someone I'm new to this forum so I hope I don't seem to be over-stepping.  Don't get me wrong some people can handle their drinking but honestly I think any one that uses it on a regular basis has some negative effects and or consequences.

I quit after 30yrs of drinking.  I was a drunk a functioning drunk but a drunk non the less.  I couldn't handle myself.  I told myself I could but any how.  Almost every bad decision, almost every ruined relationship involved alcohol.  I would never admit this until I truly realized it.  I had a lot of excuses.  I thought it was cool to have the fortitude to drink till 3 am and wake at 6 go to work and survive.  Ugh makes me kind of sick thinking about it now.   It was Cannabis that finally got me to quit but not the way you may think.   I decided to grow cannabis,  I invested in everything I needed, got some beans, started growing and  everything was going great.  I tended to my ladies everyday making sure they had what they needed.  About half way thru my first flower I was drunk and found myself in my grow room (thinking I knew what I was doing) pouring more of this,  more of that, way to much shit.  I burned my flowers with nutes. I had invested so much time, money and effort I was enjoying myself, growing this living thing then in one fail swoop......   I flushed them and salvaged them for the most part but at that moment when I realized What The Fuck I Had Done. It was that moment that I got fed up with it.  I was tired of alcohol controlling me.  I had had it.  Alcohol was not my friend any more I was not going to let it have power over me any more.  I quit cold turkey I quit letting it whisper in my ear.  It was there whispering in my ear for way to long like a best friend you realize has been banging your wife for as long as you knew him.  

Well that's my story on how I quit.  I craved it for maybe 5 months I told myself I could have a near beer hear and there probably not a good choice but I got thru it.  I almost relapsed a few times fighting with the wife or getting stressed at work but then I remembered that Fucker and what he had done to me for that many years.  Anyway that's what worked for me.   A lot of my friends still drink and we are still friends.  I feel uncomfortable around people that are drunk because I see the way I acted.  Like I said some people don't have a problem with it and I do believe it has its place.  Quitting was the best decision I have ever made.

I apologize for the poor grammar.  I decided drinking was more important than English class :P  Thank god for spell check. 

If my story could help anyone in anyway it was worth sharing.

• coorsmikey, riseabovethought, Alder Logs and 2 others like this

#82 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,581 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:09 PM

Anyone might go to Y'ube and search, "Paul Hedderman," my favorite AAer.   He has combined recovery with Buddhism, Advaita, and just traveling lighter.    I love listening to that guy.

• riseabovethought and Sikfreud like this

#83 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:37 PM

Sikfreud, that is a great story, thank you for that. Many will say about various crutches they have "I can stop anytime"... But as the saying goes: "If you can't show it, you don't know it."

I like vaping high flavor nicotine, and bud, but I lay it down for a week or a month every few weeks - I need to know that I can...

#84 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,008 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:28 AM

Here's what I mean by changing one's habit from a bad one to a good one

[Direct Link]

Edited by riseabovethought, 04 December 2018 - 11:29 AM.

• SteampunkScientist and Sikfreud like this

#85 Sikfreud

Sikfreud

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

YES! Thank You!
  • riseabovethought likes this

#86 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,457 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:57 AM

Wow! That is and excellent video.  I was immediately inspired to restart my meditation practice in earnest.  Thank you!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!