13 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

Ok usually I do not like taking animals from the wild they really belong with their mommy's but this little one was left behind today.

A friend noticed him beside his hole and he wouldnt go back in he left it alone for a few hours and mommy didnt come back for him.

So when I got there he showed me right away I picked him up after knowing its been a few hours and no Mommy he was cold so I put him in my hoody pocket to keep him warm found him a blanket and a box to protect him from the cats and dogs for the time being ..... had to do some shopping etc..got back and the little one was still alive so I know he wasnt that hurt I thought a cat or dog already hurt him thats why he didnt go back with mommy

anyway took him home and fed him some coconut milk mixed with a little cream for a bit more fat since there is nothing out there for chipmunks the little one did drink some from the eye dropper and my fingers managed to get him to drink 2 times now

I had some sunflower seeds already shelled and put them in the cage (hamster) he did pick them up smelling taking a little bite anyway so I know mommy was starting to teach him what he can eat

seeing him move around the cage I think he has a chance I might try and take him back home tomrow to see if he will climb back into his hole to find his mommy but I dont think it will work now

I got myself into a mess now tho there is only one and trying to keep him warm is going to be fun I found a heating pad that I put under the cage after wraping it in a towel and he has towels in his cage it doesnt feel too hot it feels warm in there tho and he has been sleeping soundly for  a bit he cuddled up inbetween the towels in the cage all covered up he looks warm finally

I know the milk choice isnt perfect but I think the coconut milk might be better than straight cows cream and I cannot find formula in town for anything but human babies and that isnt any good I have read for chippys so this is my only option hope it is ok for the little thing he seems to like it and keeping him hydrated every 3-4 hours since he is about 4-5 weeks old his eyes and ears are open so this is a ruff guesstamite from what i have read on the internet caring for baby chippys

its not going to be easy and I have to accept that the little one might not make it and well if he does its gonna be alot of work not to mention its not legal to keep wild animals as pets so eventually we will have to try and set him free after saving the little one I just couldnt let him be cat food ya know ....

if anyone has experience advice or any opinions please let me have them I could use all the help I can get and even tho they r cute its not a good idea to try and find your own they r best left with their mothers for propper survival I am not a mommy chippy a pretty poor comparison ...but finding one that might not make it after being abandoned ya got to do what u gota do sometimes .....

IMG_2315.JPG IMG_2321.JPG

• the_chosen_one, Juthro and Paisley like this

#2 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

oh this is what I read about taking care of them sounds like good information .... I just hope the milk I have for him will work for keeping him alive I feel bad that I cannot find the puppy or kitten formula but that doesnt sound like a good fit for a chipmunk either the coconut milk or almond milk sounds like a better choice to me being a chippy that eats nuts his mother would eat nuts and such making nut milk herself kinda lol....

http://www.orphanedw...hipmunkcare.htm

• the_chosen_one likes this

#3 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Wow,lucky chippy but going to be tough on you

wishing you both the best

looks like found good info so might have a chance

Best of luck to you both, especially chippy

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,757 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

cute lil guy :biggrin: wishing you both the best

• wildedibles likes this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

Thanks :) He is one lucky little guy :) he was full of energy after a few hour nap with the heating pad I gave him another drink of milk and decided to try and take him back home b4 it got too dark at least try ....

Well it was so cute I put him in the hole and he climbed right in there then he came back out so I said ok and put him back in the box .... then he tried to climb out I thought ok try again see if he wants to go and I put him near the hole and he climbed in this time and stayed in there :) I am soo happy and sooo sad at the same time but being with his mommy is the best thing for him not me ;) so I will be happy for the little one :)

I thought it was really cute him coming back out to say good bye I am really glad I gave letting him go a try

.... I also told my friend that if he finds him ya know not to tell me but I really think he found his mommy in the hole and he be ok

I waited and kept checking to see if he came back out I stayed at my friends for 2 hours and it was getting dark and still no chippy he stayed in the hold so its good news :) I am glad I had this special little visit today I never seen my fav little animals as a tiny baby b4 so I will remember and cherish helping this little one out .... I think he was in shock earlier and just didnt get how to get home and he was soo cold I think he needed the heat and a drink or he would have died so I am really glad I could help :)

Thanks for being part of this special story with me :)

• the_chosen_one, Pilzkopf, Juthro and 3 others like this

#6 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,757 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Wild, you are a beautiful person. thanks for sharing.

• the_chosen_one and wildedibles like this

#7 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

that's awesome! i would 'like' but i used them all up on wharfrat :dry: 

• wildedibles and wharfrat like this

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

lol you can always come back tomrow ;) thanks tho for the thought :)

• the_chosen_one likes this

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,647 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

Wilde, this is why we love you.

Peace,
Juth
  • wildedibles and Spooner like this

#10 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:42 AM

Thanks buddy :)

#11 Omni626

Omni626

Omnitopiate

• Expired Member
  • 124 posts

Donator

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

Wow what an amazing story :) a guy I work with had a rabbit that would come everyday and look in his window at the same time everyday and eat graham crackers :) lol idk I've never had anything like that happen to me but nature is such a beautiful thing, especially when you can get so close to wildlife :) AWSOME story though!
  • wildedibles likes this

#12 eksfingvub

eksfingvub

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

got to love em we got a few in our yard. with a ground hog too.

• wildedibles likes this

#13 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Well done Wilde!  A whopping big round of applause to you for, 1)stopping to help, 2)researching to find out how to help, and specially 3)knowing when to step aside and let chippy live a good chippy life. Now that you know where, maybe you can leave some treats from time to time, a few acorns or whatever.  It sure was special that he came back to say good bye, means he liked your help, appreciated the care, and does not consider you a threat, regardless of natural instincts.  Your health center is good for chippy and peeps both. Horray!!!!!!!!!!!!

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#14 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

Thanks :) It was a very special time for me and I am glad that he could go back to the wild ....I say I get these instints from helping little animals get away from my cats as a kid ;) the cats didnt like me taking their wild food away but I saved a few animals from them I never seen a chippy soo small and they r an important animal for me coming to me at a time that I need healing from my center ;) maybe its a good sign that I will get some healing soon enough ;)

thanks I am glad I can share this story especially that I was able to release it soo soon back to its mother some people think that mommy will not take it back if they smell people but its a chipmunk their parents will often sit in your hand for a peanut so they know we are not all that bad ;) I didnt go see my friend today so I hope the little one stayed in there I will know Tomorrow for sure so fingers crossed :)

• the_chosen_one, wharfrat and Paisley like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!