9 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,635 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

while i was offline this past month with my laptop down i have been making up homemade breads, cookies, jams and butters to sell at the local market for a little extra cash. my breads have been selling more than anything so im stuck in the kitchen for a couple days baking bread which is torture to smell and not be able to eat any!! lol most popular is banana bread of course but i also do pineapple, peach, zucchini, and pineapple banana. did zucchini last week because i had a few request for it and i only sold one damn loaf! then my dad gets me a bunch more zucchini so i made butter out of them last night. im making some apricot butter now... that i need to pay more attention to instead of typing this...lol... 

anyway as some of you may already know ive been making my jams for a few years now and have quite a collection that includes.. peach, apple maple, blueberry (need to do more while they are in season), strawberry (did fresh batch a few weeks ago), honey pineapple and pear (just did last week) also got apple butter but im runnin low on that and the apple jam. i cant wait for apple season this fall! had a lot of request for blackberry jam but cant ever find them in quantity. 

but i will start posting some of my recipes in the cookbook here when i can find the time. this way i will always have them even if my computer crashes and my house burns down destroying all my cookbooks! lol so stay tuned for my recipes and you will learn how to cook as good as i can..lol

• the_chosen_one, Arathu, ethnobotanist420 and 5 others like this

#2 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

It took me 10 years to get this recipe from my sister's ex sister in law "who never gives out secret recipes". She made it into muffins and they were very good

CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE

Serves - 18        Class - Dessert              Calories - Plenty

1.)                 Cream:                                2.)        Add:                             3.)        Mix / Add to 1. and 2.

½ c. margarine                                2 eggs                                      2-1/2 c. flour

½ c. oil                                           ½ c. buttermilk                          4 tbsp. cocoa

1-3/4 c. sugar                                  1 tsp. vanilla                              1 tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. baking powder

4.)                  Add / Stir in:

2 c. diced zucchini

½ c. chocolate chips (optional)

5.)                  Spoon the mixture into a greased and floured 9” x 13” x 3” baking pan or a bread pan (large)

6.)                  Sprinkle the top of the mixture with the chocolate chips (optional)

7.)                  Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 40- 45 minutes; test doneness with toothpick.

Edited by Seeker2be, 14 June 2014 - 10:05 PM.

• the_chosen_one and wharfrat like this

#3 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,635 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

mmm yeah i got a variation of that recipe in one of my cookbooks. i have 9 of them sitting beside mostly Mennonite cookbooks. this isnt even all my books. most are in storage still. just got the ones i use the most. then as if that wasnt enough i dug out all my recipes from high school foods class too! lol

• wildedibles likes this

#4 Ecology

Ecology

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 18 posts

Donator

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

Mrs. H  I recently did very well at the farmers market with my local sourdough.  I took a large mason jar and ran it in the autoclave. I also autoclaved half a quart of flour.  When it started to rain, I let it rain for 5 or so minutes and then placed my jar outside open and caught the rain water.  I added the water to the flour to make a paste and covered with a triple folded paper towel and secured it with a rubber band.  In about 4 days it started to bubble.  Nice wild yeast and native lacto bacteria. 

You can look up sourdough cultures online on how to handle them if you don't already know how to keep them going.  Im about on generation 40 from this and it produces great.  I like to add the yeast to the flour and let it set three days before baking to get nice and ripe.  Great for making pizza crust, rolls, bread and such....

• -=Zeus=-, Mrs.Hippie3, wildedibles and 4 others like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,418 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

Home grown sourdough = :)

My wife and I are working a culture that is coming up on its 3rd year birthday soon. It also makes really good cupcakes and lets not forget pancakes, just saying.
  • -=Zeus=-, wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,834 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

My sourdough culture died last year when it got buried in the fridge, and I forgot to bring it out and feed it. All attempts to resurrect it have failed. It was fun and delicious for two years........

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,418 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

My sourdough culture died last year when it got buried in the fridge, and I forgot to bring it out and feed it. All attempts to resurrect it have failed. It was fun and delicious for two years........

I hope you start another my friend, but it is a lot like a pet, it needs attention and care to survive.

Funny story: My in-laws from Oregon had listened to my wife and I rave about out sourdough starter for about a year until they decided to try their own. Then one Saturday morning we got a call asking how we make our version of sourdough pancakes, as theirs was terrible. Come to find out my father in-law had just fried up cakes of sourdough starter and put butter and syrup on it. To be honest the thought still makes me shudder, but then laugh.

Peace,
Juth
  • wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#8 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,635 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:44 AM

too cool guys! my husband did the amish friendship bread and even shared the starter with a couple members on here...

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

Sounds really good MrsH :)  I have gone wheat free and I am finally really happy with my wheat free banana bread :) but making reg bread wheat free has been hard to do without gluten still tryin tho :) I really really miss bread lol banana bread or zucchini bread isnt the same with meat and cheese lol

• Juthro likes this

#10 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

I'll have to make some banana bread again. I haven't done that in so long. If you eventually post your recipe I will have to give it a try. I'm looking forward to discovering some of your recipes. It's nice of you to share them.

I also hope that you do well at the farmer's market. One of the colleges around here has one going and there's a lot of tasty stuff there. People who bake their own bread, especially if it's really tasty, seem to do very well for themselves there. Jams, bread, cookies, and muffins are big sellers.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!