Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Need help - quick - any brewers on line?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 4,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

Ok will get pic when I can

Just worked on my second extract kit

Per suggestion used the yeast smack pack to make a starter 24 hrs ahead of brew day.

Today (not 24 hrs yet)

The thick foam has encompassed the air space in the crboy and some of the beer got up in the air lock. I can hear pressure releasing and the carboy has quite the carbonation bubbles going looking like you just poured a fresh draft beer

What should I do. Brew stores not open yet to call and ask but concerned.

Any ya'll online?

Edited by PsyBearknot, 15 June 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 4,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

Well changed out air lock to other style and I'm good to go. Gonna rig a blow off tube next time...take the syphion hose attach it to the plug where the air lock attaches and run that into a growler that's half full of water

#3 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

just make sure the airlock has fluid in it.  The heavy initial foaming is why i generally do primary fermentation in just a loosely covered pail so I can skim off the foam for first couple days.  Initially the foam is a sufficient barrier to vinegar yeasts, but soon as the foam calms down the airlock becomes important.

Foam or beer in airlock is not a problem because it is just there as a one way valve to keep airborne yeasts out.

Activating the yeast 24 hours ahead probably got it so cranked up that it just made very rapid growth, so I think you are on your way to an especially good batch.

Edited by Spooner, 15 June 2014 - 01:53 PM.

• PsyBearknot and Juthro like this

#4 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 4,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Thanks spooner.

Did not know the foam would be a barrier like that but it makes total sence.

I think we will look into that as well as the blow off tube. Especially cause we will use the yeast starter like that again. Our first batch a brown ale (2 more weeks in the bottle) just used the yeast smack pack as is. Took almost 2 days to get the foam going.

The airlock got completly filled with beer so went ahead and changed it out. It seems to be doing a better job of letting the pressure out.

I started off with the cylinder/bell looking one. But the one that is curved like a piece of lab equipment I like better.

1 or 2 more of these kits and we are gonna jump to an all grain brew in the bag style.

#5 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Thanks spooner.

Did not know the foam would be a barrier like that but it makes total sence.

I think we will look into that as well as the blow off tube. Especially cause we will use the yeast starter like that again. Our first batch a brown ale (2 more weeks in the bottle) just used the yeast smack pack as is. Took almost 2 days to get the foam going.

The airlock got completly filled with beer so went ahead and changed it out. It seems to be doing a better job of letting the pressure out.

I started off with the cylinder/bell looking one. But the one that is curved like a piece of lab equipment I like better.

1 or 2 more of these kits and we are gonna jump to an all grain brew in the bag style.

Not sure why but I like the "S" traps better also.  If I lived closer I would offer th help you with your taste tests :tinfoil:

Edited by Spooner, 15 June 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#6 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,945 posts

Donator

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Blow off tubes are your friend Bear!!

Those smack packs can take off like a rocket with a good starter. The quicker your fermentation gets underway the less likely a chance for an infection.

Do you have an idea of how you want to do your first BIAB (beer in a bag) all grain?

I've finally got my process dialed in and couldn't be happier.

Next batch I brew (hopefully within a few weeks) I think I'll photo document the whole process and post it here. I've been meaning to forever.

• coorsmikey, PsyBearknot, MrGumball and 1 other like this

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 4,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

Ya blow off tube it is next time....

So is it
Brew in a bag
Beer in a bag

?

Have not decided. We have time with the blond fermentaimg now and then run a saison kit before we go with BIAB. So starting g the research now.

THat would kick ass to see your process with photos

Edited by PsyBearknot, 17 June 2014 - 08:58 PM.

• firerat likes this

#8 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,945 posts

Donator

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

Ya blow off tube it is next time....

So is it
Brew in a bag
Beer in a bag

?

Have not decided. We have time with the blond fermentaimg now and then run a saison kit before we go with BIAB. So starting g the research now.

THat would kick ass to see your process with photos

Brew In A bag /  Beer In A Bag..... I don't think it matters. LOL

Are you doing partial mashes or straight extract brew right now? (are there any grains involved yet)

#9 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 4,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

The kits we get from the local brew store are non Pre hopped with hop pellets, yeast smack pack and grains. The malt was an extract. Brown ale were cans of liquid malt and the blonde was bags of dry malt extract.

Edited by PsyBearknot, 18 June 2014 - 07:14 AM.

• firerat likes this

#10 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,945 posts

Donator

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

Oh so you have already worked with steeping grains then?

Going all grain really isn't much more difficult.

Do you have a large kettle? If you plan to do 5 gallon batches, I'd recomend nothing less than 10 gallons so you can do a full volume boil.

You can do it with smaller kettles, it just takes more attention to not get boil overs.

Ok, now I'm amped to get something brewing. LOL

BTW what do you do for fermentation temp control?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!