• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Acid Cat

Mr Acid Cat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

So hey, i was wondering if it would be possible to make a Psilocybin Mushroom Tincture, I was thinking that if i got 50g of cracker dry mushrooms (The more potent the better) and put them in the freezer for a about an hour, and then grind them up into a powder. Should i then put the powder into a mason jar and pour some Polmos Spirytus (95% alcohol) in there (10m/1g of mushrooms). Then would i put the lid on the mason jar and shake it for a while, and then put it in the freezer for a few days. At the end of the few days would i open the jar and filter out all of the mushroom powder and collect the liquid, and then put it in a large flat pyrex dish and set up a computer fan (just the fan and the power supply, I thought this would be pretty safe as computer fans are made to be ran for days on end), with the fan would i simply blow across the solution that i have collected to evaporate some of the alcohol, i thought that if i evaporate enough i could get the ratio down to 1ml = 1g of mushrooms.

Can somebody tell me if i’m completely off? It personally sounds like a good idea.
If i was able to get the tincture down to 1ml/1g, i would be able to make “Magic Mushroom” Gummys and candies, i personally think it would be sweet.

Thanks guys,

-Love and Peace

Edited by Mr Acid Cat, 18 June 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#2 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,252 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

Yes it is possible.

But, that is not exactly how it is usually done though.

Usually the mixture is allowed to sit for a couple of weeks, where it is usually shaken everyday before the powder is strained out.

I've tried it, but IME it was just a waste of booze.

Although, I have to admit that I  didn't use the strongest of mushroom material either.

• Mr Acid Cat likes this

#3 Mr Acid Cat

Mr Acid Cat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

Yes it is possible.

But, that is not exactly how it is usually done though.

Usually the mixture is allowed to sit for a couple of weeks, where it is usually shaken everyday before the powder is strained out.

I've tried it, but IME it was just a waste of booze.

Although, I have to admit that I  didn't use the strongest of mushroom material either.

So you would have to leave it in the freezer and shake it every day for a few weeks? 
Did you evaporate some of the product to make the concentration stronger? I just personally think it would be easier to store, take up less space and such.

#4 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,252 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:03 AM

My tincture never went into the freezer.

I evaporated some off, but not much.

#5 Mr Acid Cat

Mr Acid Cat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:08 AM

Oh, well do you think the freezer would make a difference? And would i be correct in saying that about evaporation? That it would make it have a higher concentration of actives? (Sorry about all the questions, i'm a noob, Your help actually means so much :biggrin:  )

#6 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,252 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

I only tried doing it once,  but this thread may answer some of your questions.

https://mycotopia.ne...lcohol-extract/

Edited by Cue, 18 June 2014 - 05:29 AM.

#7 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:40 AM

I did what you have explained and it works. What you have to be concirned about when doing an evap is that u dont evap all the alc and leave only the little bit of water that is actually in the og alcohol. In thery u could go a mill per gm. Aslong as u have some alc for preserving the tinc. Deff shake every day and keep soak for a week. I did mine longer but onlt cause I wasnt in a hurry......cheers. helps keep body load down too..

#8 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,252 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

. helps keep body load down too..

Mine had body load.

#9 Mr Acid Cat

Mr Acid Cat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

Well hey, I found this. http://www.shroomery...Number/10202867

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,749 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

I love me some tincture.

I made mine from stem butts which allowed me to have a nice clean stash of buttless mushrooms (since I just cut the butts off, no fussing with cleaning them). I dried the butts same as I dried the mushrooms and stored them in a vacuum sealed cannister until I'd saved up a pound.

I then crushed the butts into little pieces but I did NOT powder them. Neither should you; powder requires a vacuum filtration rig or will take way too long to filter out. As small as you can crush them with your bare hands works well. Wear a respirator; shroom dust is nasty.

I divided the pile into three large glass jars (1/2 gallon each). I covered the dry fungi with Everclear (a brand of 95% pure grain alcohol), though from my reading I get the impression that a slightly weaker concentration may be more effective (~80% alcohol instead of 95%) but am not sure. I added enough Everclear to almost fill the jars and used new lids to ensure a good air-tight seal. I then added a tablespoon of pure citric acid crystals to each jar. This is key if you want to avoid body load and extend the shelf life to its maximum potential.

I stored them in a dark cabinet in my kitchen for a little over two months. Every time I thought about it I'd open the cabinet and shake the hell out of them (about 2-3 times a day).

After the long soak I filtered the fungi out (along with all the bits of vermiculite or straw or horseshit, depending). This is when you'll be glad you didn't powder them. I put the soaked fungi back in the jars, added more Everclear (~halfway full), shook the hell out of them one more time, and filtered again to get as much magic out as possible (the max seems to be around 80-85%).

I put all the beautiful gold-colored liquid in a big pot and reduced it on very low heat for a long time (boiling it off "burns" the alcohol making it taste like very harsh, badly-made moonshine so keep the heat low or use a vacuum rig if possible). Do that part outside. I reduced it until I had standardized doses where one 1.25 ounce "shot" was equivalent to about 3.75 grams of dry fungi.

So starting with ~454 grams of stem butts, assuming an 85% extraction gives me the equivalent of 385.9 dry grams in solution. Before reducing it, I put the jars in the freezer for a few days. This precipitated a lot of sugar crystals on the glass of the jars that stayed behind when I poured the extract into clean jars. I gathered the crystals and put them in my coffee.

I reduced the volume of extract to a little bit over one gallon, or about 130-135 ounces (I had used 6 quarts of Everclear to soak and filter it). I put the reduced extract back in the freezer again and more sugar precipitated out so I transferred the extract to new jars again. I then reduced it a little bit more until I hit exactly 128 ounces (one gallon). That left me with 102 shots at ~3.75 grams each. I would usually take half a shot, which was plenty for a mild or recreational mini-trip or if I was attending a public event and didn't want to be losin' it.

I stored it in Bacardi 151 bottles in my freezer since it was so strong alcohol-wise and happened to look just like 151, and because I'd removed most of the sugar it didn't form new crystals (which merely take up space in the extract better used by psilocybin and form an odd-looking sediment not normally seen in Bacardi 151 so it may attract undue attention). I made that extract so long ago that I don't exactly remember when it was anymore but I know it was at least 6 years and I just finished it a few weeks ago, and that included taking it to a few festivals to share with friends and taking a shot whenever I felt like it (I also eat a lot of my honey recipe which is why the extract lasted so long). It was still as potent at the end as it was when I first made it, and the citric acid not only helps preserve it, it also changes the nature of the experience by compressing it; just like with lime juice soaks, the acid makes all the magic hit the blood-brain barrier at once so the trip peaks faster and ends sooner (more like a spike than the usual gradual rise, plateau, then come-down) which makes it perfect for tripping in the evening when you got work or school the next day.

Incidentally, I think I used WAY too much Everclear. Shit's expensive, which is why I'm gathering copper for a reflux still. In any case, the way I did it worked a lot better than I expected so while I probably used too much alcohol, what I described will work (I could've bought all the pipe and fittings for a reflux still for the amount I spent on Everclear).

Good luck, and go for it; extracts are a pain in the ass to make but awesome to have.

Edited by TVCasualty, 22 June 2014 - 10:30 AM.

• roc, Dlight and OldBear like this

#11 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

. helps keep body load down too..

Mine had body load.

I think maby the amnt of water in the alc. Causes the extract of the other chems as they are water soluable.
  • roc likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!