#1 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,986 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

I've been drooling over all of the killer recipes that Mrs H has been sharing, so I thought I would share one that I like and use regularly.

Juthro’s smoked baked beans:

2 pint jars of pressure cooked navy beans, drained.
3 or 4 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
1 medium sized onion, finely diced and sautéed until translucent
¾ cup of ketchup
¾ cup of brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon Worcestershire
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon chili paste or 1 diced deseeded jalapeno pepper. (both if you’re feeling machismo, lol)
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ of 4oz can of diced green chilies.

I like to pressure can a couple of cases of pintos and navy beans a couple of times a year so that I can use cooked beans on short notice. This is one of my favorite recipes using PC’d navy beans.

I mix everything in an aluminum disposable baking pan and place in preheated smoker @ 250*F for 3 hours with your choice of smoking wood. I use a blend of apple, cherry, hickory, and maple. That’s my go to blend for most of my smoking. For those of you with out a smoker, 350* in the oven for about an hour should do it. I like to bring the beans internal temp up to 160 even though everything is already cooked. Better safe then sick.

I like some zing in my beans and this recipe has it, but for a more family friendly recipe without the heat you can omit the dry mustard and chili paste. Still good, but without the bite.

Enjoy,
Juthro
  • the_chosen_one, kcmoxtractor, TurkeyRanch and 4 others like this

#2 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

That sounds soooo tasty and I'm now kicking myself for not having thought of pressure canning beans for future use.

Thanks for the tip.

• Juthro and Luckyloser like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,986 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

That sounds soooo tasty and I'm now kicking myself for not having thought of pressure canning beans for future use.

Thanks for the tip.

Thank you SHD for the kind words. PCing beans is a good way to help your budget and your diet at the same time.

The pinto beans reheated in a sauce pan and smashed with a wooden spoon with some cheddar cheese added make really nice refried beans at a fraction of what the store charges for a can. They can be ready in 10 min from the time you open the jar.

Fast, cheap, easy, and healthy, you know there are no extra additives or preservatives that you don’t know about. It also lets me control my salt intake better (most commercial canned stuff has an ungodly amount of salt added) as I don’t salt the beans before I PC them, I just add a little to taste after I cook them.
  • SilvrHairDevil likes this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,986 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

In case some of you don’t have a PC and want to make this recipie it can be done. This is the way my brother does it. I personally find it a PITA to do it this way, but the end results are good.

Replace the two pint jars of beans with 2 cups of dried beans, picked and rinsed.
Soak beans (make sure they are all covered with water) in a pot or bowl overnight. Bring to a simmer over low heat and continue to simmer until beans start to soften, about 1 hour. Drain and reserve water.
Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish and pour in enough of the reserved bean water to cover beans (about 3 cups), cover dish with foil.
Place in preheated oven @ 325*F, bake for 2 to 3 hours, stirring every hour or so. Remove foil about halfway through cooking and add more liquid if necessary to keep beans from drying out.

#5 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Home cooked beans are far better tasting than canned beans, you can cook them in stock, with onions, etc. I always make my own refried beans, too.

Another tip I just began trying - add about a gram of washing soda (Sodium carbonate) to your bean cooking liquid, bring the beans to a boil, then let them cool, then rinse them 4-5 times. This cooks them about 3/4 and they'll easily finish cooking in whatever recipe.

This, of course, is for those not foresighted enough to have jars of home-canned beans at the ready.

#6 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

Juth (and anyone else smokin'), what kind of smoker are you using?

I want one!

#7 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

I picked up two beat-up Little Cheifs at a garage sale for $15. The worst one I converted to charcoal and I take it fishing with me. Smoked trout sandwiches with mayo on rye bread sound interesting?

The other is still electic and I use it at home for various things. There's a post somewhere in here that I made about French Onion Jerky.

That said - my first smoking experience used a large cardboard box, some sharpened dowels and a thrift store electric frying pan.

• MrGumball likes this

#8 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Found it, French Onion Smoked Jerky!

There's a few Little Chiefs up on Craigslist.  Time to haggle.

re: charcoal conversion, do share!

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,986 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

Juth (and anyone else smokin'), what kind of smoker are you using?

I want one!

I’ve owed a couple of different types, the kind I currently use and that is my new favorite is a Masterbuilt 30 inch electric smoker, here is an Am-azon link to show you the model. Though I had to buy mine from sportsman’s warehouse, as A-mazon would not ship it to Alaska.
http://www.amazon.co...electric smoker
Its built like a mini fridge, the door and sides are insulted so that I can smoke even in cold weather, you just set your digital target temp (between 100 and 275) and it does the rest. The chip loader for the wood chips is a tube on the side so you don’t have to open the door and lose your heat to add more smoke chips. They also make an add on attachment that ducts the smoke in to the smoker box so that you can cold smoke if you want to make smoked cheese (home smoked cheese is killer!) or fish.

I love my smoker, I smoke everything I can in it lol, corn on the cob, pork chops, whole chickens, turkey breasts, ribs, beans, I even have a smoked meatloaf recipe that is awesome. I plan on smoking a whole turkey in it for thanksgiving this year. It’s a great way to put a lot of flavor in your food and still keep it healthy.
  • MrGumball likes this

#10 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

I just ripped out the heater and electric cord, poked a couple additional holes in the bottom, discarded the rusted out inner racks, poked through-and-through holes in the sides for skewers and made hooks out of metal shower curtain rings.

The brined and air-dried fish are hooked through the upper spine and hung on the skewers. Hardwood chunks are placed on the floor and the whole thing is placed on a charcoal brazier. You have to keep a careful eye to make sure the smoking wood doesn't burst into flames.

It's nice to sit by the campfire sipping a beverage and tending the smoker.

#11 Paisley

Paisley

Glow Stick Chick

• Expired Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

I am going to try this without the bacon. Part time vegetarian. Lol. Thank you Juthro! It sounds so good. 

• Juthro likes this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,986 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

I am going to try this without the bacon. Part time vegetarian. Lol. Thank you Juthro! It sounds so good.

It's also good without the bacon. My mother-in-law doesn't eat pork so I make the vegetarian version (and w/o the chili paste and jalapenos) for her when she visits. By cooking it the smoker it gets some of the smokey flavor that the bacon would lend to the dish.
  • Paisley likes this

#13 Paisley

Paisley

Glow Stick Chick

• Expired Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

It's also good without the bacon. My mother-in-law doesn't eat pork so I make the vegetarian version (and w/o the chili paste and jalapenos) for her when she visits. By cooking it the smoker it gets some of the smokey flavor that the bacon would lend to the dish.

That's what I figured. But no way leaving out the spicy stuff! I was thinking increase it.  :biggrin:

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,986 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

That's what I figured. But no way leaving out the spicy stuff! I was thinking increase it.  :biggrin:

LOL, I like your style.
  • Paisley likes this

#15 Paisley

Paisley

Glow Stick Chick

• Expired Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

LOL, I like your style.

I just liked your like!  :tongue: Lol.

#16 papa_legba

papa_legba

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 365 posts

Donator

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

I know this is a little late but this sounds damn good. now time to get me a smoker.
  • Juthro likes this

#17 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

i'm going to give these a try this weekend, thanks juthro!

• Juthro likes this

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,986 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

i'm going to give these a try this weekend, thanks juthro!

I hope you like 'em KC. Something's I forgot to mention; when I cook them in the smoker I like to stir them ever 45 min or so. I think that this helps to get more smoke flavor in the beans, as only the top surface is exposed to the smoke. Also if you let the beans sit over night in the fridge after smoking the smoke flavor seems to homogenize and intensify a bit.

I like a strong smoke flavor to my food, but alas I am often am not patience enough to make them a day in advance.

@Papa: Buying a smoker has been one of the most useful and best purchases I have made in recent history. I smoke everything I can think of in the thing. One of my recent favorites has been some whole chickens that I got on sale cheap. I like to skin them (the smoke penetrates the meat better without the skin), give them a light rub and a heavy smoke.

After my wife and I eat a couple of good meals and have a sandwich or two off of it, we then boil that bad boy down and it makes the best smoked chicken and rice soup I've ever had. The broth really takes on quite a bit of the smoke flavor. Sorry I'm starting to ramble, and make myself hungry, lol.
  • kcmoxtractor, MrGumball and torn2bits like this

#19 torn2bits

torn2bits

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 871 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

The recipe sounds great.
Which end do you light the beans from & how do ya keep from burning your fingers??

Edited by torn2bits, 14 September 2014 - 10:51 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#20 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,986 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

The recipe sounds great.
Which end do you light the beans from & how do ya keep from burning your fingers??

Really Torn, you have to ask, lol? Did Tom put you up to this?

If you eat enough of these beans they will spontaneously light from the back end, and they will burn more than your fingers (eye's, nose, throat, ect..) :)
  • torn2bits likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!