• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 torn2bits

torn2bits

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 871 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

It just 'hit me'....on the Beverly hillbillies, I remember grandma talking about smoked crawdads, she asked specifically.
I can't smoke these, which end do ya lightbem from...lol
P.S.
Tom's a ruff modo to cope with at times, possibly I'll get him to eat the 'flaming anus' recipe :)
  • Juthro likes this

#22 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:25 PM

Finally got a little chief.  Actually, I've had it for a few months, but just plugged it in today.

On the racks were chicken thighs and drumsticks.  60 min over apple wood, then finished on the grill - it's like chicken bacon!

Next time:  going to remove skin for better smoke penetration and smoke for at least two hours.  I'd also like to switch from using wood chips to small wood blocks for longer smoking.

smoker.jpg  finished.jpg

Thanks for the advice Juth.  Agreed!  Little chief doesn't really get hot enough to bring things up temp.  However, finishing on the grill and cooking to proper temperature for whatever protein you're cooking should take care any bugs that could cause you harm.

Edited by MrGumball, 20 June 2015 - 11:03 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,868 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:41 PM

Finally got a little chief.  Actually, I've had it for a few months, but just plugged it in today.

On the racks were chicken thighs and drumsticks.  60 min over apple wood, then finished on the grill - it's like chicken bacon!

Next time:  going to remove skin for better smoke penetration and smoke for at least two hours.  I'd also like to switch from using wood chips to small wood blocks for longer smoking.

Glad to see ya around and grilling my friend.

I just did a batch of these beans the other day, and I sent my brother a picture of my smoked beans. I'll share a copy with the rest of you too.

Now remember, these are real smoked beans...
beans after.jpg

Edit: Some constructive advice, I cant think of anything I smoke for less then two hours, ever. If I am cold smoking something my smoke times would start at a two hour minimum, and up to eight or ten hours of smoke for other things, liked smoking peppers while drying for smoked paprika.

I have never used a little chief, but for cooking meat there is a "40 to 140 in 4" rule. It is where, in the absence of special nitrite salts applied (like when curing sausage), you need to bring your meat from 40*F to 140*F in less then 4 hours, or you are at risk of growing things that you shouldn't eat and make you very sick.

Mr Gumball, I know you are a smart guy, and will do (and probably already did) your home work. I just wanted to put a disclaimer in for other people reading this thread.

Peace to you my friend.

Edited by Juthro, 20 June 2015 - 10:55 PM.

• Mycomaniac2007, TurkeyRanch, Phineas_Carmichael and 1 other like this

#24 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:46 PM

Do you think a pan of those would make the trip via USPS to my place???

Those look so good! I need to get busy with the smoker soon. Your inspiring me big time. Gumball, that chicken looks tasty.
  • Juthro likes this

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,868 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:25 AM

I never doubted you Mr.G (nice looking chicken BTW!). I think your methods where sound, and your results look good enough to eat. :)

I truly just wanted to toss out a reminder for the masses that slow cooking and smoking have to follow a couple of guidelines for safety. And I think you did follow that BTW.

I never doubted you or your process my friend, I just try to keep others from cultivating salmonella by not knowing.

Keep on smoken....
  • MrGumball likes this

#26 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,868 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:53 AM

Do you think a pan of those would make the trip via USPS to my place???

Those look so good! I need to get busy with the smoker soon. Your inspiring me big time. Gumball, that chicken looks tasty.

You need one brother. I have to tell you, I love the times of year when chickens get under .99 cent a LB. We stock up the freezer with them. And as time permits, I will brine, and rub and smoke those birds. We get a couple of dinners off of a bird right off the smoker, and then it gets picked and frozen. The carcass then gets boiled with a bunch of vegies from the garden to make broth.

The smoke carries amazingly well to the broth. It makes for an amazing smoked chicken (or turkey) and rice soup. You would be amazed at how much smoke flavor the soup will take.

Especially if you had some older, tough birds. A soak in some salt/sugar brine and a slow smoke and you will have eats that are of a better quality than you guessed possible with what your were working with.

BUT....

Until you get set up, I would be glad to overnight you any beans you need, with a small handling fee of course... (jk)

Just so you know brother, if you asked me, I would make you a truck load, and have it there tomorrow (for cost).
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#27 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:30 PM

Smokin' (drumsticks) again...

Removed skin on a couple to compare to skin on.  Rubbed with salt, cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika.

Edited by MrGumball, 21 June 2015 - 08:37 PM.

• TurkeyRanch and Juthro like this

#28 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:10 AM

I think rigging up a cold smoker is certainly a project for the near future. I have a hot smoker, but it's a cheapo that I need to modify so it works better. I have a new BBQ that I could hot smoke small batches of stuff, but I like to go big so another solution is in order. Hopefully by mid July I will have something built.

Thanks for the advice on the chicken, sounds amazing. Projects related to food are fun for me because I love to eat and Bev does too, so I don't get a dirty look when I spend some xtra money if it's meal related :smile:.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 22 June 2015 - 12:10 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#29 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:18 AM

We can share the beans, we can share the wine...

• coorsmikey, TurkeyRanch and Juthro like this

#30 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,868 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:27 PM

So I smoked up a batch (11 lbs worth)of cheese yesterday, and started a batch of peppers smoking, for smoked chili powder, and I was going to take some pics, but I got to stoned and forgot... BUT I did remember to take a couple of pics today when I put the peppers on for the rest of there smoke time. What you didn't get to see was that 11 lbs of cheese takes up a little over two racks in my smoker.

So anyway, the cheese gets two hours of cold smoke, and the peppers stay in to get from 8 to 12 hours of total smoke. I think I get better results when I give the peppers a long cold smoke before I dry them as opposed to smoking them at low temp while I dry them. It takes a little longer this way, but I think they get a better, smoother smoked flavor.

With it being so dry and being fire season here, I didn't want to let them smoker burn overnight unattended. So I just let the smoker go out and brought them in the house overnight. I then put them back in and relit the smoker this morning. Once the peppers have been smoked enough I will either set the smoker at about 100 and leave the vents open, or bring them inside and dry them in the dehydrator. Once they are bone dry, into the coffee grinder they go.

indoor peppers2.jpg

Notice the nice grid on the rack and under the peppers, it is a wonderful tool. A 1/4" mesh grid make for BBQ grills, it is non stick, dishwasher safe, and easy to use. It keeps stuff from sticking to, or falling through your grill. I got two of them off of ama-on for around 6 bucks if I remember correctly. They cut easy with scissors to fit your size grill perfectly too. They were worth twice the price in my book.

This next gizmo is the heart of my smoking operation, it is a 5X8 inch stainless steel tray made to burn wood pellets slowly and consistently. One full tray of pellets, lit just from one end, will burn for about 10 hrs. If you want a lot of smoke, you can light if from both ends.

indoor pepper smoking.jpg

This tray fits perfectly in a mailbox that has a hole cut in its back, with a couple of 3inch dryer vent 90deg swivels ducting it to the side of my smoker, this set up allows me to supply the perfect amount of cold smoke for long periods of time with out having to mess with it. It is a very set it and forget it system.

2.jpg

I'll take some more pics when I pull my pepper to dry them, and then after I grind them.

Edited by Juthro, 22 June 2015 - 06:39 PM.

• coorsmikey, TurkeyRanch, MrGumball and 1 other like this

#31 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:24 AM

The paint on the mailbox isn't an issue? I am loving that pellet burning tray. I will have a lot of peppers this year (hopefully) and smoking some sounds like a grand idea.
  • Juthro likes this

#32 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,868 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

The pellet burner never gets hot enough that you cant lay your hand on the mail box. It is not supposed to ever burn with a flame (except for while first lighting it), it just sits there and smolders and smokes. But to be fair, I was concerned about that as well at first, but have not noticed any issues. I have ran it long enough now that I am sure that it is no longer an issue if it ever was one.

But I did run a couple of trays through it before I used it for food, back while I was trying to figure the proper draft out, and during one of those runs I left the door on the mail box open and unattended for about 40 min. It got hot enough, and had enough air flow that the tray flashed over. No paint left inside the box after that burn.

That tray is made by "A-MAZE-N Products", and they have several styles. http://www.amazenproducts.com/

You can also find their products on Amazon, and I noticed Sportsman Warehouse had some of their produts as well, the last time I was in there.

#33 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,868 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:02 PM

And the end game is here..

Peppers are dried and now ground.
1.jpg 2.jpg

It came out to just under 21 grams of dry powder from that rack of peppers.
  • Mycomaniac2007 and Skywatcher like this

#34 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:09 PM

That looks fantastic!

I love spicy stuff, especially REALLY hot jerky. How spicy are those? They look hot lol. Do you do alot of jerky?

Edited by Mycomaniac2007, 26 June 2015 - 10:11 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#35 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,868 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the complement double M :)

This batch was actually made with Felicity peppers, and they are a heatless variety of jalapeno. They take the smoke flavor very well, and I like to use them for the base for blended chili powders. You then smoke, dry, and grind the other peppers of your choice and mix to the desired level of heat. It is the same process for any peppers you want to smoke and dry.

I am old, and don't have the best of teeth, so I tend to not make much jerky for myself very often. I also like the hot stuff, but again, as I get older I find it doesn't always like me, lol.

#36 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:09 AM

Lol I hear ya , my teeth arent exactly the greatest but luckily still can manage :-)

Okay so they are a good flavor base for start and then you can add your heat if desired. Its definitely different smoking peppers and I have never thought of it, grilled yes but smoking them never came to mind. Thanks for the idea, and now ill probably be smoking everything as I tend to go nuts when I do something new haha

#37 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,868 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:53 AM

I should mention that you don't have to smoke them to make chili powder. I just prefer them with that smoked flavor. You can just dry and grind your peppers of whatever heat level you like and, "TA DA!", you have chili powder :)

It really is easy, and if you don't have a dehydrator, you can dry them in the oven. That's what I did with this batch 'cuz I was to lazy to go above the garage and dig out our dehydrator. 170*F(my ovens lowest setting) until they were hard and brittle, then into the grinder.

As long as you have dried it well, it will store for years in a good airtight container, though it will loose some flavor intensity over time.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!