• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Localbuilder101

Localbuilder101

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

I seen some where that the use of lime and bleach are good for around 2 wks before contamination takes over, true not true? Im going on a week and a half and it looks like with the growth that they have will be another 1 to 2 wks before collinized. They look healthy, just a little slow.
This is my first time working with straw and manure...:weedpoke:

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

Pasteurization is what most/many do. Hot water bath 155 F for two hours or more , then drained , cooled and inoculated.

#3 AGAMA

AGAMA

Open Your Eyes And Realize That We Are One

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

A little bleach in the straw "soak water" is fine, but where are you using lime?
Proper pasteurizing and cleanliness will make ALL the difference,IMHO.
Straw is only slightly quicker to contaminate for me.
And, BTW, 3-4 weeks colonizing times are not slow where I'm from!:eusa_clap
What strain are you working with?
How are you creating your colonized spawn(jars, bags, etc...), and what is your spawning material composed of?
Time spent in the Archives and Vaults is time well spent. You can learn alot from what works for others.:bow:
Just pick a tek and run with it!
Best of luck.
Keep us posted.:thumbup:

#4 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

I oven pasteurize, 200F for three and a half hours. Sub hydrated to slightly over field capacity to compensate for moisture loss.

Use a higher spawn ratio next time for quicker colonization. Try using 25-33% grain spawn in total volume of substrate.

#5 big_dreams

big_dreams

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Use more spawn next time! I did two big bags that colonized in 5 days. 2 quarts WBS to 5 quarts 60/40 hpoo/straw incubated at 78 F

#6 Localbuilder101

Localbuilder101

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

:weedpoke:Well what I did was an experiment. I used my old B+ brf cakes. I broke them up is little pieces and soaked in a solution of a 1/10 cup bleach and a 1/2 cup pellitized lime stone to a gallon of water. Soak for 30 minutes and left to strain in my incubation bow over night. I also soak the straw, manure, worm castings over night in the same solution. Next day I squezed the water out of the mixture and combined with the mycelium. I did the same thing to some cambodian a couple of days later.
Week and a half later, I have very healthy growth every where. No conam.

Did you say 78? Im at 85 now, Should I turn down. I also have grain in there.

#7 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

Keep your eye on it. Common contams like trich start out with brilliant white mycelium. The reason many people either pasteurize or sterilize substrates is because of contams like trich (and others).

A sign that things may be going wrong is green colored spots. I hope that doesn't happen though.

83 F is about the best temperature for incubation.

Now that you mention that there is manure , straw and grains in the sub and none have been sterilized or pasteurized (both yellow words clickable pasteurization PC -sterilize- ) it should be very interesting to see what happens.

Best of luck. Show pics if you can , it helps.

Edited by hyphaenation, 24 February 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#8 Localbuilder101

Localbuilder101

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

Im not sure how to leave a picture??
I thought that the bleach and lime was going to due a type of pasterization on them.

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,771 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

After you write your post , below the box hit:

Manage attachments - that pops up a window with ten slots.

Hit the browse button for each picture you want to upload. Direct the manager to your pic on your computer.

When you have all your pics lined up hit "upload"

Lastly hit "submit reply" to make your post and we will see your pics.

Hope this helps , you can also read the yellow words upload pics .

#10 Localbuilder101

Localbuilder101

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

Picture of myc. on one of the trays.

Attached Thumbnails

• Myc.jpeg

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#11 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:06 PM

Picture of myc. on one of the trays.

Good job so far but, I do see a couple things you could use some pointers on if ya don't mind me telling ya.

Chop your straw smaller (aim for one inch pieces or less) and it will give your sub better airation and better moisture retention thus increasing colonization time and allowing for more H2O for the mycelium.

Always cover anything that is subseptable to trich or molds with a thin layer of just dung with no straw (if using dung if using castings then just castings), this will help prevent contamnintes from germinating on your grains or straw.

Its quite effective to use some sort of breathable cover to cover your sub. Tinfoil works really well for this. You want to poak a 1/8 inch hole about every 3 to 4 inchs, this will allow it to breath and also help protect your sub from contamns and help keep out light.

Great grow so far man. Hope it explodes on ya.

#12 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

Lookin' nice and rhizo man, but I definitely agree with Irish, keep the straw pieces short! I never have luck with scissors chopping straw, so I got a pair of tin snips... runs right through it... ;) G'luck!

#13 big_dreams

big_dreams

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

:weedpoke:Well what I did was an experiment. I used my old B+ brf cakes. I broke them up is little pieces and soaked in a solution of a 1/10 cup bleach and a 1/2 cup pellitized lime stone to a gallon of water. Soak for 30 minutes and left to strain in my incubation bow over night. I also soak the straw, manure, worm castings over night in the same solution. Next day I squezed the water out of the mixture and combined with the mycelium. I did the same thing to some cambodian a couple of days later.
Week and a half later, I have very healthy growth every where. No conam.

First: try to use HYDRATED LIME. You can get it at any hydropnics store. It has almost no magnesium, unlike the pelletized lime you get at lowes or home depot.

Second: use 1/2 cup lime to 14-16 gallons of water!

The pic looks good, just be patient.

Whe you use brf cakes you can put them in the food processor to grind them up to small bits, but don't go to long or it will turn to peanut butter.

#14 Localbuilder101

Localbuilder101

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:33 PM

Hey thanks for all the info. I enjoy this site a lot.

#15 curiousmycologist

curiousmycologist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

Can I get away with not using the lime or is it an essential step? I'm interested in making my first straw log, and if I need lime I'll buy it tomorrow

#16 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,869 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

i've never used lime. but i've grown a bunch of oysters from straw.

#17 curiousmycologist

curiousmycologist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

I'm growing cubes, KSSS to be exact. I'm putting the straw in to soak right now in the bleach, and if I need to, I can get the lime before I go back home tomorrow

#18 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

You got a stutter there rosbear? :lol:

A 200:1 bleach soak is fine, drain and rinse, then pasteurize. I dont use lime either.

:pirate: TR

#19 curiousmycologist

curiousmycologist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:03 AM

I'll be sure to send prints out when the time comes, everyone on here is pretty helpful for the most part

#20 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:23 PM

everyone on here is pretty helpful for the most part

Dont hesitate to ask anytime your wondering about something. Welcome to the community and read read read in the Vaults and you should be fine!

:pirate: TR

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!