• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 8grams

8grams

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:44 PM

This may be a dumb question, sorry I couldn't find a definate answer searching. This is my second time growing our little friends and the last time was over a year ago. The instructions I got last time spoke of a drip shield to go over the cakes because if water droplets hit the cakes it would kill the mycelium growth. But then reading and finding answers to other questions I get mixed ideas. I even think I saw someone say to completely submerge the cake in water because his pins hadn't come up for 6 weeks.

Any help is most appreciated?

By the way, you guys are awesome helped with tempeture and airflow issues nicely and I will get you a great grow log out soon. Thanks guys!

#2 jrogers311

jrogers311

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:56 PM

Water droplets do damage the fruiting myc and should be avoided. After a flush of fruit many dunk the cakes to rehydrate them. So yes with the shield and read up on dunk teks they work great for a friend of mine;)

#3 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:59 PM

You can skip the shield and just use perlite in the bottom of your fruiting container, keep it moist and spray the sides as needed, you won't get water on the cakes as long as you're careful.

A lot of people use the double end casing tek as well, do a search on that

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:23 AM

a dunk is safe because it's brief, 24 hours or less in fresh water
so it contains plenty of dissolved oxygen.

droplets on the cakes day after day, the water goes stagnant
[no dissolved O2] and smothers the underlying tissue.

#5 drgonzo1969

drgonzo1969

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:20 PM

I read somewhere that putting vasoline on the lid of the terrarium keeps water drops from forming on it. Is this true?

#6 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:32 PM

I read somewhere that putting vasoline on the lid of the terrarium keeps water drops from forming on it. Is this true?

Probably. It makes sense. It would be like putting musk oil on boots. Petrolium is also very water repelant. I kinda like the drops tho. They fall like rain which helps to duplicate the natural environment. If you are worried about them falling on PF cakes just use the dual end casing tek. That way the top of the cake is protected by vermiculite and the drops will disperse thru that. If you have good air flo there should be no troubles.

#7 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:11 PM

I agree with Chosen, putting vaseline on your tank tops would probably be more of a hassle/problem than something good.

#8 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:54 AM

Vaseline will keep water condensation from forming on the lid if you put a nice, thick layer on there.

Vaseline, however, will now condense on your finger tips every time you open the damn terrarium to work with it. Vaseline will smear on the rug in the carpet where you lie the lid on it's edge and it falls over. Every bit of dust/dirt/hair and other airborne crap in the grow area will stick to the vaseline.

And, finally, the vaseline will take on a most unpleasant odor after about two months.

Just let it rain, man!

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:22 PM

eh,
driping condensation can be a real threat,
moreso to casings than cakes.
but i disagree with the others
if you are getting much condensation
it's worthwhile to try to stop/reduce it.
vasoline is just one of several ways to do that.
btw
one wants the layer to be minimal, very thin.
not a 'nice, thick layer'.

#10 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:46 PM

Or U can insulate the lid....Use clear bubble wrap [2 layers is best] for letting light through,,or a folded towel if u don't need the light...works gooot...

#11 DJTetsu

DJTetsu

View Source Code

• Expired Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:27 PM

Or U can insulate the lid....Use clear bubble wrap [2 layers is best] for letting light through,,or a folded towel if u don't need the light...works gooot...

There is a slight advantage with bubble wrap (well I'm meaning GLAD's Clingwrap). Though this material is sorta fragile, I've let the wrapping hang low in my terr, which:

decreases the amount of open air volume in the terr so that:

open air volume TO moisture in perlite RATIO is improved in your favor (more humidity)
This is advantageous because it does so without restricted mush growth. If the mush needs to exceed the low ceiling, it simply makes its way by pushing the wrapper up.

My pic does a better explanation. You can barely see the top of my wrapper, which hovers inches above my cakes. If the mush needs to, it can grow past the terr lid.

My only disclamier is that the difference might be tiny.

Attached Thumbnails

• Resize of DSCF0627.JPG
  • Resize of DSCF0625.JPG

#12 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

Those droplets are indeed a threat IMO. If they become a menace, simply tap the bottom side (where the droplets are) of the lid with your finger tips or knuckles to knock the condensation off. Or, you can dry it up with a clean towel. Then you can apply a fine mist to it for RH purposes. No need in misting the lid if you tap off the droplets.

#13 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

well things were goin just fine, cased and in two days myc showed up in 4 or 5 places. this is a tray with cling wrap coverin to this point. Then myc tears through in 10-12 1inch patches. b4 removing wrap cover, noticed beads of water almost coverin exposed mycel. should it go str8 to fruitin chambr or be re-patched without wrap, and let sit a few more days then into the chamber? 8x10x2 tray ,pf,50/50 top and bottom. lookin real healthy but what about the chance of overlay or matting if not patched? peace, pFost.

#14 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:13 AM

ok, so noone has an opinion? HAHA I doubt that, SO....whats the best thing to do? peace pFost

#15 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:14 AM

guess ill keep bumpin this to the top til I get a reply LOL

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

Sorry dude.

Well, you can patch the mycelium that's exposed and wet with some new casing material. Make sure that droplets from the saran wrap don't build up too much, to the point they'll fall down. Put holes in the wrap, or change it accordingly so droplets don't fall down on the casing layer. You can also tilt the tray so the droplets will slide off the wrap or foil and down in to one end of the tray. Most of the time the casing layer will suck up that excess water.

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:33 AM

By the way, you can use a paper towel to lightly soak up those droplets on the mycelium too.

#18 Anunnaki

Anunnaki

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

This is GT strain. Spawned on rye and cased in wheat straw. Casings are in fruiting chamber and are fanned and misted twice a day. I've grown like this a bunch of times. Sometimes they fruit within a week. Sometimes they take two weeks. Just looking for some hints or advice to get these guys fruiting quick with minimum aborts.
How do they look?
Also, what do the water droplets mean on the Casing 03 pic?

Thanks

Anunnaki

Attached Thumbnails

• Casing 04.jpg
  • Casing 02.jpg
  • Casing 03.jpg
  • Casing 01.jpg

• kh1249 likes this

#19 Elf Salvation

Elf Salvation

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 733 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

OK YOU need to case them. That isnt called a casing, but what you have is more of a bulk sub.

Casing is adding a layer of special soil to allow pins better formation. I add a cassing layer 1/2-3/4in thick, by dropping soil onto the substrate (keeps it airy).
After some mycelium can bee seen on top of the cassing soil, just add a little more casing soil to patch the surface. You want mycelium to be as even througout the surface.
For cassing soil you can use 50/50 verm/peet moss and hydrate to field capacity.

Ill find ya some links that will help

The droplets look like wet bubble, im not too sure. I think its caused by bacteria. Seen somthing like that in jars with wet spot bacteria growing beneath the mycelium.

Your mycelium is sure rizomorphic:dance:

#20 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

They look pretty good so far...mycelium looks healthy. The water droplets could be mycelium waste, or the result of misting or RH....nothing to worry about.

A week fruiting time is pretty good...only advice I can give you to get a good grow with few aborts is to give plenty of Fresh air exchange, and don't mist directly.

The second pic looks really good....looks like you've got it down man...no worries..

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!