#21 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

One way we like to cook fresh sweet corn around here is to make what my mom used to call fried corn.  Stand cobs on end, slice the kernels off the cob into a skillet.  Add some water, a bit of bacon grease for extra flavor, salt and pepper to taste.  Reduce it down in the skillet until it's the consistency of cream style corn.  Goes great with fresh sliced homegrown tomatoes!

• Xerces likes this

#22 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:32 AM

Even field corn is sweet when young.

I remember as a kid going in the corn field and eating baby corn size of your little finger, just peal and eat yum yum, better than candy.

#23 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Leftovers make some of the most super excellent fire-roasted corn salsa...

FIRE ROASTED CORN SALSA

Using a food processor for this will make a totally different salsa.
Using a sharp knife, it will be more rustic-style chunky and less pungent.

3 ears of corn, shucked, rubbed with olive oil and seasoned; BBQd, cooled and kernels cut off.

1 red jalapeno (usually available at Safeway), fine dice
1 green jalapeno, fine dice
4 or 5 scallions, fine dice
1 small red onion, fine dice
1 small white onion, fine dice
1 clove crushed garlic
chopped parsley, cilantro, other fresh herb  
1 796 ml can diced tomatoes, spun in the salad spinner

balsamic vinegar }
tequila }  splash of each
EVOO }
salt & pepper
chipotle powder
juice of ΒΌ of a lime

Add everything together and let meld for an hour or so.

#24 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

I have been grilling corn in a variety of ways presented in this thread almost every night for over a week. I have tried almost all the grilling recipes. Every single one of them has been awesome! Thanks everyone for all the awesome ideas!

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 15 August 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:07 PM

I was looking for this old thread to brush up on some ideas, cuz corn on the cob just came on sale here for .50 and ear, and I picked up 25 or so.

While I found what I was looking for, this thread makes me sad.  It is filled with history, and ghosts.

I miss all my old friends.

• coorsmikey likes this

#26 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

Allright, so enough tear in my beer bullshit, :) 

Some one must pick up the corn banner and carry on....

So this round I shucked, and de-silked 20 ears.   They got soaked in a 5gal bucket for about an hour.  I used an upside down plate, with a half full growler on top of it to hold the corn under the water.  Then into a preheated smoker (250*F) with a full steam pan for 2 hours.

Once its cooled enough to handle we will strip the corn off the cobs, load it into canning jars (a mix of pints and half pints), add a little salt,  and then PC it for 55 minutes at 10psi. 

This stuff makes a great side dish on its own, and also mixes well into larger dishes like enchilada casseroles, pot pies, and chowders.  The smoke flavor really carries through the canning process.

Canning up a big batch like this over a weekend will give me enough to last until next year, and a little bit left over to either gift, or barter with.

#27 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

So 20 ears, which is a full smoker for me, yielded 3 pint, and 15 half pint jars.   

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0161r1.1.jpg

#28 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

How did you fit so much into your PC?  Did you stack those little jars on top of each other?

#29 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

How did you fit so much into your PC?  Did you stack those little jars on top of each other?

Yes, I stacked them.  A full layer of half pints on the bottom (8), then my spare trivet plate.  On top of that I stacked the pints (3), and double stacked the remaining half pints (7).

#30 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

Interesting, I didn't know you could do that.  I always thought you needed a small amount of water in the PC to touch the jars.  That was not really based on anything, just my assumption.  Thanks for letting me know!!

• Juthro likes this

#31 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

Yea, it's the pressurised steam that sterilizes.  The jars do not have to be in contact with water.

You do need to have enough water in the canner to produce steam for the entire cycle though, if it runs dry your batch may not have sterilized properly, and you run the risk of destroying your pressure canner.

• Harlow likes this

#32 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:48 PM

However corny this may sound, that song in Aladdin just popped into my head..."A whole new world".  All of a sudden I can do so much more with my PC!!  I do plan on canning a bunch of fruits and stuff this summer, that along with mushroom work, I feel it's a whole new world of quantity I can do.  Especially with smaller jars like you have.  Great to learn in general, especially with stuff you are working with.  Thank you again.

• coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#33 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

I'm quite the canning enthousest, and I PC a lot of our food.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Here is thread that might have some info you would enjoy. 

https://mycotopia.ne...ing-with-wishy/

• Harlow likes this

#34 Harlow

Harlow

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

Thank you!  I read through that other thread, very interesting.  I have always wanted to get into canning, and it seems now I have all the stuff I need and lots of local resources for produce.  I also have pure calcium hydroxide if that is needed.  I really don't know the process, I was going to look up stuff online, but would gladly take your advice on how to do so.  I guess at first, what would be your general process for the two items I listed below?  Also, have you ever canned anything else other than what I mentioned?  Thanks Juthro!!

At this point there are two things which I can think I will be canning.  I would be down to try other things, just not sure exactly what.  Maybe make my own pickles as well.

First: Fruits and berries for preserves.

Second: I was told I can get bunches of local tomatoes for pretty cheap, and can make sauce out of them.  So I want to try and make tomato sauce which can have that canned for later use.

• Juthro likes this

#35 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,060 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

For tried, true, and safe recipes look to, "Ball's Blue Book of Canning", or my personal favorite the, 'National Center for Home Food Preservation'.   They are both trusted resources.

Here is NCHFP's website,

https://nchfp.uga.edu/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!