• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

am i the only one rooting for the skunk....?

sorry TR but your goin DOWN

Bev is gonna be washing you down with the cold garden hose like the scene from pulp fiction before morning

:wink:

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#22 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

Ha, I told her if I catch it, she has to take pictures. She said, ok, in the morning. Heh. She is less excited by this saga than I am, to say the least. She is just worried I will get skunk on me. . .

I am fully aware that it would be a cold lonely night on the porch if I get skunked.

Speaking of which, I can't tell if it's the un-lit joint between my lips or if I smell a skunk. . .??? (100% serious)

The tension is palpable!

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 27 July 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#23 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 189 posts

Donator

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

Yep, she was just 8 weeks old when I got her. Just a tiny handful of black and white fur:) I got her from a breeder in the town where I went to college. My mom saw an ad in the paper and told me about it. I was considering getting a ferret at the time, but once I realized a skunk was a possibility it was an easy choice for me.

She was already de-glanded when I picked her up. Sometimes she can still smell vaguely skunky.. if she gets startled, she toots and then I'm very thankful that she doesn't have the equipment to really spray:)

#24 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 189 posts

Donator

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

Hah, disguising your scent with mj? TurkeyRanch, master trapper and skunk hunter.
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#25 mithrandiir42

mithrandiir42

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 189 posts

Donator

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

Flower is a dainty little 5 pound female but there's a guy who goes to my vet who has a 30 pound male...I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark woods, stink gland or not!

#26 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Well, for the first time in a week or so there was no skunk visit. Maybe i will get my wish of a anticlimactic and peaceful resolution. I stayed up late waiting, but all I caught was a minor hangover.

#27 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

Well, for the first time in a week or so there was no skunk visit. 

That would be because he was watching you in the bushes, laughing hysterically when he saw what you set up for him. He will wait until you are not so focused, and stage a stealth return. 

Stay alert but pretend you don't care. He smells your anticipation........ let him think the coast is clear for an easy snack.....

• Myc and coorsmikey like this

#28 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

Stay alert but pretend you don't care. . . Haha! I like it.

Yes, I had a feeling that I was being laughed at a bit, but that's normal for me.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#29 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

image.jpg

Skunk was half in and half out of the trap, and in turned on the flashlight like a dummy, thinking it was making a bee line towards me in the dark. He ran away. Came back again, but on the other side of my house. Fur on duct tape from front of trap. Tonight, I will triumph.
  • Juthro likes this

#30 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

When I was younger and living in Oregon with my parents we had trouble with a large inundation of skunks. To deal with them dad set up some live traps with an old horse blanket over them, careful to cover all sides but the entrance and leaving a fold to flip over that. Once he caught the skunks he would take the trap blanket and all, and submerge it in an old cast iron bath tub we had as a water trough for the animals and drown them.

He really didn’t want to kill them but it was the only way we found to remedy the problem. He said the trick to not getting sprayed was to keep the skunk covered and not to let it see you or daylight for that matter. I don't know how you could release one with out getting sprayed.

Keep in mind that skunks are one of the most common carriers of rabies. Be careful when you deal with them, they have wicked teeth as well as their spray.

If you find a non-violent way to deal with them I would like to hear about it, as I also don’t like to kill unless I have to, but to date I am unaware of a way to deal with skunks without killing them.

Stay safe my friend, and good luck.
Juthro

#31 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,577 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

I wonder if they would be deterred by a reversal of their own defense.

Mix up a batch of water, olive oil, and ghost peppers - puree, strain through a coffee filter

Load into a Super Soaker squirt gun. The big one which holds a quart or better should do.

Nature's Napalm - discouraging but not permanent. If all else fails, it might be worth a try.

Either way, skunks are as smart and wary as cats - you'll likely only get one good chance at any given method.

• TurkeyRanch and Skywatcher like this

#32 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Because I have not seen an update, I am supposing the score is presently still skunk one step ahead?

Try a trail of irresistible tasty morsals leading into the trap. Leave the flashlight in the house. I'm still rooting for you TR.

• Juthro likes this

#33 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:14 AM

Either that or the skunk already got him

RIP TR
It was a good ride man
You will be missed
*does 21 bong hit solute for our fallen soldier*
  • Myc, TurkeyRanch, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#34 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

Ha Jed, I managed to escape death-by-skunk so far. . . I was just distracted.

I was out of town for two days, and skunk trapping was put on the shelf. It has continued to return, every night I see him/ her (think it's a her because it's so dainty, large cat sized) but I haven't set the trap in a few nights. Tomorrow night I will reset the trap with sardines. She is always here, I will get her eventually.

#35 BlackPeter17

BlackPeter17

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,350 posts

Donator

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

damn I missed this thread when it came out!  so for my dog after he got sprayed I used a spray directly on his coat made of alcohol and some other stuff.  the theory is you have to evaporate the oils off.  no water used.  I used 2 treatments 12 hrs apart and left him outside.  then I applied coconut oil to the areas for a few days to disperse the remaining skunk oils.  

now this thread is not to the problems that skunks create, but the skunks them selves.  I know in my case they were visiting from all over, to feed off my compost pile.  To get rid of them for good you can set some traps like sky watcher pictured in the beginning.  put some vegetables and peanut butter in there.  put the trap by the pile or better yet if you can find its hole put it near there.  trap the skunk and do what ever you want with it after that.  set it free in Yosemite park lol! I think the trap is so confined that the skunk can not lift its tail to spray in the trap.  but be careful! 

#36 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

Got one!

Bev says there were two trying to break into the coop last night, got one. Calling a private animal guy to come get it and relocate it. The Animal Control people 'don't do skunks'.

image.jpg
image.jpg
  • Juthro likes this

#37 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

It's so little and cute. I FEEL SUPER BAD.

#38 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Congratulations!!!!

One down and a now suspicious mate to go. And in a trap to relocate as a bonus. Patience and persistence has paid off.

No need to feel bad Bev, the skunk is not harmed and the bird's are all safer.

• TastyBeverage likes this

#39 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

So.... how do i give it some water without getting sprayed? It's going to be a warm day. Just because his life goals are not aligned with my flock keeping doesn't mean he should suffer.

• Juthro likes this

#40 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

Extremely carefully, with a Has-mat suit

• TastyBeverage and TurkeyRanch like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!