• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

A nice guy came by in a truck and put a syringe full of sodium pentathol on a long stick. I'm sorry, Mr. Skunk.

#42 BlackPeter17

BlackPeter17

lone wolf

• OG VIP
  • 1,350 posts

Donator

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Lol what did u use to luer the skunk in there?

#43 slartibartfast42

slartibartfast42

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:10 PM

I don't get the concern over skunks, A well made coop should prevent them from adding chicken to their diet and they are generally one of the more easy going wild critters. so long as they are not cornered or chased they are not likely to spray. They do have poor eysite so making a little noise while out at night will give them a heads up and even if there is a close call stay still for a bit and let the skunk retreat. I don't know if the skunks on my property are particularily dumb but on several occasions i have had them run straight over my feet in an attempt to get away (i suspect it is this behavior that has lead to many people thinking skunks are aggressive or ready to attack).

If you take the time to get to know them you will find that they are quite endearing and mellow critters that actually make good neighbors that will chow down on quite a few common garden pests. One thing about live trapping though is that while it looks like the more humane option dumping any animal outside it's territory and into anothers territory leads to a very high mortality rate (50-80%) and can displace other animals if they do survive. My suggestion is to learn to live together and walk with care at night

#44 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:30 PM

Skunks will start digging away at the foundation and can squeeze through very VERY small holes. Our coops are very well built, but it was utterly impractical to dig down a foot to put in wire at the base of the walls all the way around both coops. I lost an entire clutch of duck eggs literally out from under my sitting duck. She refused to stop sitting even after all the eggs were gone and practically starved before she finally came out. I had no chicken eggs for weeks and i've got over 20 hens that are laying age.

I like skunks; i think they're cool little animals. But i run a farm, and unless the skunks can leave me a $5er under a rock every time they raid my coop, they have to go.

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#45 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:03 AM

No offence Bart, but I have to agree with Bev on this. I love nature as much as the next guy and try to co-exist with all of my fury brethren to the best of my ability. But there comes a point when you have to make a call on whether or not you are raising livestock to feed the predators or you’re raising them for your purposes. It takes a lot of resources to raise livestock of any kind, and while it is rewording in its own right that don’t buy feed or pay for the Vet.

Around here we don’t have skunks (thank god) but folks that do raise livestock, especially foul of all kinds, have to deal with bear. And while I am not trying to compare these as far as threat goes, in the end I don’t know of a way to detour any determined predator, no matter the size, that has figured out how to get an easy meal, other than killing it.

I wish I knew of another way, I truly do.
  • TastyBeverage likes this

#46 gremlinchode

gremlinchode

Fed after Midnight

• Expired Member
  • 806 posts

Donator

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:39 AM

Meat from two young skunks, approx. 2 lbs.
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Flour for dusting
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 ¼ cups dry white wine
6 sweet peppers, mixed red & yellow if possible
4 tomatoes, skinned & quartered (or substitute 2 cans)
2 bay leaves

Trim any excess fat from skunk meat. The older the skunk, the more likelihood there is of fat having to be trimmed. Also, young skunk is more tender. Cut the meat into bite-sized morsels, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and coat with flour, rubbing it into the meat.

Heat the olive oil and garlic in a large skillet, add the meat and fry until lightly browned, turning once or twice. Pour in the wine and allow to bubble briskly for a few minutes until reduced by one-third.
Cut the peppers into strips, discarding the pith and seeds. Add the peppers, tomatoes and bay leaves to the skunk. Cover tightly and simmer gently for 45 minutes or until the skunk is tender. Check the seasoning and serve from the skillet.
Serves four.

Source: URL:

http://my.greasy.com/steve/skunk_recipe.html

Edited by gremlinchode, 20 September 2014 - 02:39 AM.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#47 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

Ahahahaha!

"Wine braised skunk, with peppers" most likely won't make it onto my dinner table. Why? Call me a sissy, but I am not going to try and skin and clean one of those suckers.

We have caught 4 skunks, and predation stopped for a bit. The other night 5 chickens were killed in our lower coop, so I started setting the trap again. Night before last we got a raccoon, which I relocated. Last night we caught this lil possum. Guess we could eat him, but boy does he stink, so probably no possum stew tonight.

image.jpg
  • Skywatcher, Juthro and gremlinchode like this

#48 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

The pic's upside down, dude.

• Juthro likes this

#49 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,370 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

The pic's upside down, dude.

No, he just took it while standing on his head, lol.
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#50 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

The skunks were cute and not at all aggressive. I felt bad about them. I do not feel bad about the raccoons or the possums. Vicious little bastards, they are.   :chucks:

#51 papa_legba

papa_legba

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 365 posts

Donator

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

My advice stay far a way, and use one these.

220966_ts.jpg

works wonders on coons, and squirels too.

• TastyBeverage likes this

#52 Pilzkopf

Pilzkopf

Der Pilzreich Führer

• Expired Member
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:05 AM

So, my friend, did you get all of the skunkses? Or are there presumed to be more smelly, egg-snatchin' offenders lurking?

I don't want this thread to end, but I'm excited for a conclusion.

And...Papa...no... I know we have to do it some times, but it's not necessary, here.. But, I have to admit, it's a quick solution and, if you graze one, they're going to tell all their buddies not to come around there.

#53 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

I trapped four smelly skunkses. I take no pleasure in trapping them, but I love my poultry more than them.

I think there are more skunks, but the possums and raccoons have been beating them to the bait in the traps lately. Raw bacon is irresistible bait apparently!
  • Pilzkopf and Skywatcher like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!