11 replies to this topic

#1 Milton Waddams

Milton Waddams

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

Hey Mycotopiates,
My past few straw attempts have contamed really easily. I have done straw in the past with no problems, but for some reason things are not going all that great now. Anyway, heres the process
1. soak straw for about 24 hours
2. pasturize straw (160-180 F) for appro. 2 hours with lime added
3. let the straw strain for about 12 hours
4. spawn with WBS
5. pack into ziplock bags then stuff them into a basketwith a weight on top (to really compress it)
6. puncture holes into bag
7. let colinize
8. birth

The colonization goes really well, fast and no problems, but a few days after birthing the liitle bastard shows signs of green mold.

Can it be the spawn? (it had sunflower seed in it, which i hear is bad) The contam seems to come from the inside out

Can it be the baskets? not enough air exchange?

Any possible ideas or tips to help this would be appreciated.
THanks all
  • Earthling likes this

#2 unsane

unsane

Big Happy

• Free Member
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:37 AM

When it started gettin hot outside here i started getting contam on straw to the point that im only doing casings now. It could be that or it could be something like the object you use to poke the holes wasnt sterile. Have you tried the no heat ,bleach, lime tek?
http://mycotopia.net...eat bleach lime

#3 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:33 AM

not enough air exchange?

That would be my guess, if it was fully colonized and looked and smelled good at birth.

#4 Milton Waddams

Milton Waddams

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

Yea, I really think that it is just the fact that it is summer and the spore count is really high. I know that pasturization should keep the contam problem down, but if it is bombarded by other spores it may be helpless.

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:56 PM

I don't even use heat for straw anymore. Well, just hot tap water that's around 135 degrees. 1 cup of bleach/10 gallons of hot tap water works great for soaking the straw in for a few hours. This gives you around 2 weeks of time to get the straw colonized properly. After 2 weeks I start chewing my finger nails.

#6 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

you might wanna look at the enviroment.. spray some bleach around..??

#7 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:27 PM

I know in my neck of the woods it's been so dry and the mold counts have been so high that I wouldn't attempt a straw project right now.

#8 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

im about to attempt another straw tub in the heat of summer we shall see how it goes. Too bad you have been experiencing contam issues. Gl next time
  • Earthling likes this

#9 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:19 AM

but a few days after birthing the liitle bastard shows signs of green mold.

Can it be the spawn? (it had sunflower seed in it, which i hear is bad) The contam seems to come from the inside out

Can it be the baskets? not enough air exchange?

Any possible ideas or tips to help this would be appreciated.

most likely the trich is entering your grow area becuase of a hole somewhere in your sterile procedure. Trich exists freely in nature and most likely spores are coming in from the outside... Try showering everytime before entering the grow area and possibly wearing a coverall, if you can get it. It may seem a bit extreme but it really isnt....you shouldn't need to enter the grow area too much :)

Unfortunately trich takes a hold so i would recommend a bleach cleaning of the area for fruiting and try again...air exchange is very important too

S.P. from fmrc has professed many times how sunlight can destroy trich, perhaps you would like to try that, do a little search first.........

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:28 AM

The Trichoderma could've easily been there prior to birthing, but wasn't noticed because the mold hadn't sporulated yet.

#11 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:01 AM

So far no issues with the 95 qt. rubbermaid of Tex on h.poo/straw going on flush #2 and no green in high summer temps.
  • Earthling likes this

#12 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:16 AM

i DID TWO STRAW BOxES.. I DOUBT THEY WILL HAVE ANY PROBLEMs....
95 during the day
75 during the night

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!