#1 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

badcorn1.jpg badcorn2.jpg

This came on quite suddenly. First the bottom leaves started dying off. I didn't think much about it, shit happens. Then I noticed that it was starting to spread to upper leaves. Suspecting some kind of fungal infection (had some issues with powdery mildew etc. on cukes and tomatoes) I gave it a shot of copper. That seems to have slowed it down but it's in sad shape. 

Any idea what it might be, how to treat it? I've also given it the neem treatment, along with everything else. That's been fairly useful on the powdery mildew. I'm also wondering if it might be a virus.

This is my first time growing corn. I'm still hand pollinating my dozen or so stalks, I'd like to at least get a few ears!

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

At a previous residence I lived for a while my garden was infected with "Corn Smut" (Ustilago maydis) Every year it would come back so I gave up on growing corn at that place. I'm thinking that could be whats going on with your corn.

Edited by coorsmikey, 19 August 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#3 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

He should be so lucky that it's corn smut.

The immature galls, gathered two to three weeks after an ear of corn is infected, still retain moisture and, when cooked, have a flavor described as mushroom-like, sweet, savory, woody, and earthy.

There are so many possibilities for types of corn disease, many of them location dependent, that you'll do better googling "corn disease" and looking at images.

But I guess you already thought of that, eh?

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,592 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Sorry Bugs, I don't have any helpful info on growing corn. The thread just caught my attention due to the use of the word "smut"

I hope you figure it out.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!