There are a number of kits available over the internet that promote the idea of growing mushrooms on books and I've been wondering about how dangerous this is. According to mushroombox; bleached toilet roll contains dioxins which are harmful and accumulate in the body and after a quick search I found that chlorine bleaching of paper pulp creates dioxins as a by-product. On top of this I'm worrying about other chemicals in the books, the glues etc, and the inks used! Does anyone know about the quantities of harmful substances that are in books and how that would affect the edibility of mushrooms grown from them?
It's making me worry even about the chemicals in cardboard (which is presumably NOT bleached?). The reason I post this is because I can't find anything on the internet about the dangers of growing mushrooms from cardboard, paper, phonebooks, newspapers etc (aside from one advert I found). This could be a useful reference thread for people using these materials