Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 11 votes

Gratitude

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#381 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

Tonight I'm grateful to be browsing this forum without a beer buzz. I'm grateful that I've stopped drinking 4 beers every night. I've been grateful for getting better quality sleep lately and being able to wake up much more refreshed.

• PJammer24, Spooner, Heirloom and 2 others like this

#382 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

I am so incredibly grateful that today things aligned so perfectly for me!

Today I was invited by my father to go pick out some hot pepper and tomato seedlings with my father at a local plant nursery. This nursery also had a load of flowers as well. Of course we picked out flowers to plant here as well as at my sister's house.

WE SAW REAL-LIFE HUMMINGBIRDS! This is the first time in my life (of nearly 35 years) living on the East coast, that I have actually seen living hummingbirds going about their glorious business of natural existence!

I had only ever read about them and seen them in many (probably far too many) nature documentaries!

It was a cloudy, windy day, but I could see quite clearly that the backs of the birds were iridescent (shiny) green, the breast darker, and the throat very red.

They were SO SWIFT!

Amazing how frequently they had to flit from flower to flower to fuel their energy reserves! I could have easily mistaken them for dragon flies!

So amazing!

I gazed upon them for a while just smiling quite wide!

Wow! What an experience. :)

We spied three of them at most. So beautiful. I can't believe how quickly they can manoeuvre! Fortunately for us the nursery had quite a variety of flowering plants for them to suckle on. :)

I'd heard stories from older neighbors as a child that there used to be hummingbirds in this area of NJ, but never did I think I'd see them myself.

I will never forget this moment.

Also, it's really awesome to be able to appreciate life like this without needing entheogens. Entheogens are amazing tools, but life is life, and we all must live it, and I'm truly thankful to have been in this place in this time to have witnessed such a spectacular event.

That said, I DID go shopping for food today and I DID buy whole grain brown rice so.... Eventually, I will care for the teachers again and hopefully they will allow me to reminisce on this moment and relive it in a new way sometime in the future. ;)

• Alder Logs, Juthro, Spooner and 2 others like this

#383 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,677 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

I have heard that when the Spaniards first saw the hummingbirds in the new world, they thought they were some kind of moth.

#384 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

I am fortunate, I get hummingbirds at the flowers in my yard every year in warm weather, I love the colors.

I am grateful for the day and night, life is truly amazing and beautiful.
  • mjroom likes this

#385 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

I have heard that when the Spaniards first saw the hummingbirds in the new world, they thought they were some kind of moth.

A Humming Bird, weighing less than a USA penny can fly nonstop (without refueling), all the way across the Gulf of Mexico from the USA to South America.  Pretty good fuel economy and efficiency.

Had a girlfriend who forgot to feed her Hummers one morning and one buzzed her aggressively when she went outside.  She apologized and turned to go inside but the Hummer went inside her house with her, humming about right in front of her face.  It knew that it was to fast for her to be able to hurt it.  While she mixed up a new batch of syrup, the bird stayed in her face, supervising the whole process.  When she went outside and filled the feeders, the bird followed then left her alone and started feeding.  Smart bird, but they can be aggressive if you annoy them, and they are very fast.  Some are about the size of a large moth but Hummers are much more accomplished flyers.

P:.S. Sage, Honeysuckle, and Bee Balm are some plants they like in the Southeast near me.  Call the local Audubon folks, they can tell you what works in your area.  I prefer plants over feeders because you don't have to refill them.

Edited by Spooner, 03 May 2017 - 10:15 PM.

• Heirloom and mjroom like this

#386 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,677 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

If you hold your finger where they can perch by the feeder, and be really still, they will perch on your finger to feed.

• Spooner likes this

#387 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

I haven't really been around as much lately, but I always think of the people here that I've read posts from and especially those with whom I've exchanged private messages and forum replies.

I've been working still at a part time job that I enjoy. I've been active with my exercise and healthy habits.

I'm hoping that I can get set up with this program that works with mentally ill people who are doing well enough to be able to get some help to go to trade school finally.

I've done an awful lot of research into heating, venting, and air-conditioning (HVAC). HVAC appears to be the fastest growing and most in-demand trade in not just my home state, but the entire country, and it's projected to grow over the next 10 years by quite a lot!

So I've settled on HVAC.

I've had a few meetings with this program that helps people such as myself and I'm going to hear back to do an official intake into the program for them to assess whether or not I'm right for the program. Hopefully this goes well.

The program helps you navigate financial aid, grants, application to the school, and more. They also help you to slowly develop habits to plan and follow through with goals so you get to the point where you're more self-sufficient.

It seems like a perfect fit for me.

They also help you throughout the time you're attending school, even if it takes many years.

I've been doing well and I feel that I'm ready for this. I'm quite happy, but I haven't gotten in officially just yet.

I'll try not to be such a stranger, but life is life and stuff happens.

• Arathu and Spooner like this

#388 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

Tonight I'm grateful for the fact that the temperature outside right now is 72 degrees Fahrenheit, so I'm able to leave my windows open and listen to the crickets and katydids singing while I've got some relaxing music playing in the background at a low volume. I've missed being able to listen to the insects singing at night as I relax and later on as I fall asleep. It's so peaceful.

The end of the summer is just about here and now, little by little, the weather will be cooling off so I can leave my windows open at night, spend more time outside comfortably, and begin to watch the seasons slowly change every day.

If I'm really lucky tonight I'll be able to hear the horn of a distant train from railroad tracks a few miles away that tends to come by here more often than in the past. Before the summer really got hot and I could let the cooler weather into my bedroom at night the trains began to come by pretty often day and night.

During the day it's nice to hear a nearby church's bells softly chiming in the morning, noon, and evening.

It's being thankful for the little things in life that sometimes brings me the most joy.

Ahh, a nice cool breeze is gently kissing my skin. I missed these things so much for what seems like forever. :)

And, of course, I'm grateful that my brown rice flour cakes are coming along nicely and looking very healthy. If the mushrooms decide to eventually come I'll be able to enjoy a few perfect autumn days while walking in the woods or laying on my bed as the serenade of crickets and katydids sing to me stories of another distant time.

Last, but certainly not least, I'm grateful that I have more free time and can finally start spending some more of that time here on Mycotopia again!

Edited by niemandgeist, 15 August 2017 - 09:05 PM.

• coorsmikey, Juthro and jkdeth like this

#389 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

Small things can maake a big impact on mood.  The rains beat down my artichoke plant and over the last several days I have watched ALL of the previous growth die.  Like the Pheonix, today two small skraggly leaves appeared with the promise of rebirth.  Just two small leaves, and today beauty seems all around me.

• Alder Logs, Juthro and niemandgeist like this

#390 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,664 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

My overall mood as of late has been horrible.  Chronic pain, growing old, and watching those I love grow old and die have taken a toll on my psyche.  The last couple of years have just seemed to push so much more negative then positive energy at me, I am having a hard time adjusting.   And I get so damn wrapped up in the politics of the day that I'm likely to get a damn ulcer.   It makes me so mad I could spit at times. 

I need to change some things, cuz this road don't go where I want it too.

SO..... I thought a good place to start was with this thread, started by a friend of mine who I haven't heard from for a long time, and who I hope is doing well, wherever she is.

Here are my three for day,

Today I am thankful for the family and friends that stand by me, even in my times of doubt and weakness.

I am thankful for our neighbor (1 hour drive away) that gave us 13 bales of hay in exchange for some smoked cheese.   We will use it to grow potatoes this summer, and it saves us more than $200.

Am am thankful for being in a position where I am not for want, and are comfortable.  A man can always dream for more than he has, but I know that I truly have all that I need.

• crazy1, coorsmikey, Tenderfoot and 3 others like this

#391 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,889 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:48 PM

I'm glad you resurrected this thread Juthro. I have missed it.....

Today I am grateful to feel grateful,

I am grateful for all the rain this year, that has brought the native trees and plants a much needed recuperative growth year;

and I am grateful for our new dog, that brings so much happiness and enjoyment to my partner, who really needs that right now....

• crazy1, Tenderfoot and Juthro like this

#392 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,664 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

So today I'm thankful that my back pain eased up enough to get 8hrs of sleep last night without having to drink a half a bottle of vodka to make me go numb.

I'm thankful that the wind has picked up, and is keeping the mosquitoes from eating me alive every time I step out of the house.  Those blood suckers have been exceptionally bad this year, even by Alaskan standards.

And the thing I'm most thankful for today is my good friend who was in the car accident has finally been allowed to go home.

After 2 months in critical care at the hospital, and a month+  at a private caretaker, he finally gets to go back to his own house.  He no longer needs his walker, and is able to get around with a cane.  His spirits are good, and I couldn't be happier for him and his wife.  We thought we were going to lose him for a while, it was difficult to stay strong.

• crazy1, coorsmikey, Tenderfoot and 5 others like this

#393 viper47

viper47

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:06 PM

i am grateful to be aware that i am part of everything

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#394 Moonless

Moonless

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:25 AM

Today I am grateful for having woken up next to my girlfriend this morning. When she works in the morning I often times miss her but this morning I woke up and had to blow my nose and had trouble falling back asleep. Once she left I got a little more sleep, so I am grateful I said "I love you" before she left.

I am also grateful for my parents and the rest of my family. Even though I am not the best at keeping contact, they still love me and care for me immensely.

And lastly I am surpurbly grateful that today I am alive and engulfed in loving awareness. The past few days have been pretty great! and I am so so happy that I was able to over come such hard times of darkness and despair to be alive now. It is truly worth it

• Juthro, Heirloom and JanetPlanet like this

#395 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

I am grateful to belong to this community,one of the few places where people care about one another. I come here read what others post and feel better and realize how lucky I am.
  • Juthro and JanetPlanet like this

#396 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,353 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:31 AM

I am grateful to know where home is and who really is my family.............

• Juthro likes this

#397 zenzen

zenzen

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:05 PM

My wife and kids. They are the only thing that keep me going most days. I’m 51 and married 20 years now. Been dealing with Deep dark depression for the last few years and they have helped me slowly dig out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#398 JanetPlanet

JanetPlanet

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

I lived in a village in West Africa for two years in the early 80s. I drew every drop of water I used from a 15m deep well with a bucket and rope (no windlass). Then I purified it with iodine. If I wanted hot water, I put it on the stove. 

Ever since, I've been astonished and grateful that clean safe drinking water comes out of 3 (three!) different taps in my house, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...PLUS!!! If I want that water hot, there it is, the ultimate luxury.

I can't believe my good fortune, and hope I never take it for granted. 

Edited by JanetPlanet, 15 July 2019 - 02:59 PM.

• Alder Logs, Juthro, Moonless and 1 other like this

#399 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,664 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:10 PM

Today I'm thankful that the bulk of my construction projects for this season are done.  The new frames over the covered garden beds, and the rabbits new enclosure still need a little finishing work, but all are framed, and have their roofs on.  Those garden beds a major part of our years food supply, and by having the beds framed in allows us to extend the grow season and harvest more food into the wet fall. 

I'm thankful that so far it has been a very successful fishing season.   Commercial fishing is a major source of income around here, and when its a bad year, it makes for a very long, and financially difficult winter for a lot of people (me included).

Lastly, I am most thankful for the love and support of my family, and friends, without whom I would surely be lost.

So all in all, I have plenty to be thankful for.

• Moonless likes this

#400 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,677 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:20 PM

Those rabbits moved in, seeing you were a soft touch.  I'm sure they are grateful, and I have to join them.  Now if you would just adopt a baby moose...

Edited by Alder Logs, 15 July 2019 - 09:21 PM.

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!