San Pedro wine?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Coopdog

• OG VIP
  • 2,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:07 AM

Anyone ever make wine from mescaline cactus? Figure it would taste like hell, but might work anyhow. :)

#2 Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,590 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

Somehow the idea of savoring the rich bouquet in a good Cabernet wine glass as I allow the complex notes to play on my tongue of a fine pedro wine is not gelling in my imagination.

• coorsmikey, Shadowlord and Coopdog like this

#3 roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

Well I know cacti juice will spontaneously ferment if left at room temperature for too long.  It's not a vigorous fermentation, just a very slow bubble.

In my case I had lysed about ten foot of bridgesii, drank half of the resulting goo (a very powerful experience).  Then brought the other half to a boil to reduce and into a 1/4 pint jar it went.  Well it got left out for more than a few days.  When I got back to it I could see tiny bubbles on the surface so I popped the lid off the jar to release any pressure, surprisingly it barely burped.  It did not smell any worse than tea does, I have yet to taste it but can't imagine it made the flavour any better.

• Shadowlord likes this

#4 Coopdog

• OG VIP
  • 2,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:14 AM

Well been looking into making my own wine. My grandma made wine with all sorts of strange things even dandelion greens, which are bitter and taste rough, and the wine was palatable enough. Just a thought anyhow.

#5 Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,769 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

My mind processes this as a chemistry problem.

So for alcohol production yeasts convert sugars into alcohol.

What pre-cursors within the plant material make-up the "mescaline"?

Are these pre-cursors vulnerable to yeasts and bacteria - I'm thinking so my friend. Unfortunately.

I had a crop of very powerful cacti (several cultivars) which died because of getting caught in a freak cold-snap.

I tried to rescue said material by making tea of the whole lot. They were still green - but developing the creeping rot from the bases so I cut them and went to work.

The resultant product was stored in the freezer as a frozen slug of reduced, viscous, fluid.

Upon "examination" of said material - it was nowhere near the anticipated (and previously known) potency. Said another way: Cacti which were known to be of "Greatful Dead" quality - each variety on its own would take you to Valhalla in the correct dose - failed to perform to their anticipated levels after they were affected by rot. And they were all blended together into a single ad-mixture (peruvianus, pachanoi, bridgesii, all-in-one). Each of these cultivars could (on their own) produce a deity-meeting experience. Mixed together - they should have been a force to be reckoned - something to make the experienced voyager proceed with extreme caution.

I'm guessing that the chemical process we call "rot" - (also "fermentation"?) - may reduce the potency of our cacti (just like digestion within our bodies).

My final guess would be this:

Fermented cacti will likely not produce a satisfactory hallucinogenic experience - In My Opinion.

Fine wine and klingon blow liquor...............whooh.

Let us know if you try it.

• coorsmikey likes this

#6 TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

The alcohol itself won't harm the alkaloids, but like Myc said, possibly the process of fermentation potentially could? In contrast to myc's experience, I had a tea slightly ferment (to the point of significant pressure). It was pressure cooked to kill potential nasties and consumed, and friends reported it as being on par with the rest of that batch, so who knows?

Certainly report back if you attempt it.
  • coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!