• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

can i pick some myc off(with tweezers) some agar i have laying around(a pin is growing lol) and place it in an lc, then proceed as normal.

maybe i will also innoc some popcorn, who knows. how long does 1 innoc of popcorn with agar take to colonise? do i use one piece of multiple pieces in one jar?

#2 alpiner

alpiner

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:31 PM

yup, just drop a wedgein your LC and shake the ever living hell out of it and use
with a wedge in grain it will take about a week to two weeks depending on a few factors but just use one wedge no need for any more

#3 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:47 AM

when should i shake if i use 1 innoc of agar on popcorn?

#4 alpiner

alpiner

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

get it in there and then in a couple days

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:08 PM

when should i shake if i use 1 innoc of agar on popcorn?

Inoculate with a piece of colonized agar.http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29852&stc=1&d=1153251584

Allow the agar to colonize a good sized section of the grains so there's plenty of colonized grains to disperse throughout the jar when you shake and mix it. http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1153251584

After the shaking a mixing of the colonized grains, as evenly as possible throughout the uncolonized grain.http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29859&stc=1&d=1153251844

A few days later @ 80 degrees. These will be done in a couple of days or so.http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29860&stc=1&d=1153252286

Attached Thumbnails

• ag3.jpg
  • a2g2.5.jpg
  • a2g1.jpg
  • ag2.jpg

#6 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

nice.

by a few days you mean?

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:41 PM

:) That's day 8 really. I guess that's more than a few huh?

#8 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

just do it when you feel you have enough colonized grains that when shaken----the colonized will help colonize the uncolonized faster

#9 alpiner

alpiner

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

I shake strait away, some mycellium will break off and it speeds the whole thing up
I did a few experiments back when I first played around with agar

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:19 AM

There's all sorts of different and effective ways to do agar or lc to grain. Whatever works for you. You can add several small pieces of colonized agar if you please. I just use 1 because i'm good like that.:lol: Just kidding.

#11 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

i will probably use more then one, i will probably use the whole plate and transfer some myc to another plate and let it grow out. how many times can i transfer myc from plate to plate, is this like g2g so only three times?

#12 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:12 PM

I wouldn't use the whole plate, especially if you're using popcorn. Popcorn flies with colonization.

#13 alpiner

alpiner

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

I wouldn't use the whole plate, especially if you're using popcorn. Popcorn flies with colonization.

lazlo is right, thats more than you need
you can do a number of transfers without problems but it's a good idea to switch the food source
lots of threads on this that FMRC and a couple others have gone quite in depth on in both the old archives and the new as well as other threads that are floating around that are not archived
good luck, agar is quite the tool in the right hands

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

lazlo
:bow:

#15 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:10 AM

When finished.:)http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1153465137

Attached Thumbnails

• ag4.jpg

#16 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:44 AM

mine went from 30% to 70% in 48hours when i shook it. should eb done soon.

#17 Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:26 AM

nice job and pics lazlo. good to see what im about to do is often successful. From there, what do you do? Spawn to something I imagine. What do you spawn it to?. Thanks & peece -SnakeEyes

#18 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:25 PM

Just stick to a couple of small colonized pieces of agar. That's plenty if you've sterilized your grain right. I like to sterilize my wbs quarts for 105 minutes if i'm using it for inoculations that are going to take time to colonize. Tilt the jar like you're going to pour out some of the grain, but not quite that much of course. Then you can put the agar piece up against the jar and grain in the low area. Then when you tilt the jar back upright, the grain moves back as it should, trapping the agar piece perfectly on the side of the jar where you can see what it's doing. And where theres plenty of inoculation points and moisture.

#19 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

nice job and pics lazlo. good to see what im about to do is often successful. From there, what do you do? Spawn to something I imagine. What do you spawn it to?. Thanks & peece -SnakeEyes

I like to start 2-3 quart jars to use for g2g to more grain. You can get 20 quart jars worth of spawn from 1 of the starter jars using 2 slightly heaped tablespoons of colonized grain per new jar. It works out almost perfectly every time to 20 quarts worth, or certianly within jar or 2 if the starter jar is 3/4 full of colonized grain. Then you can use 1 of the 20 new jars for another g2g to new grain if you choose. Even 1 more round of g2g can be done most of the time if the spawn remains good and healthy between transfers. I don't like to exceed 3 total transfers (using 1 jar from each of the previous 2 rounds to extend the grain). After 3 transfers, you can use the other jar in the fridge to start again, or choose a new strain to grow if you're tired of that strain. The refridgerated spawn will last for a while, but watch that it doesn't dry out too much.

You can go for several months extending your spawn through g2g transfers, using only 1 starter quart of grain.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!