I have experienced recurring dreams and themes since about 3 years now, I believe. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact timeframe. I only recently began to record these dreams over the least year or so.
Oddly enough, I have not experienced most recurring themes from the Wikipedia entry.
I have, however, experienced one dream each relating to the following themes listed in the Wikipedia entry above:
- Drowning, or otherwise not being able to breathe. I drowned in mud on a sweltering summer's day, surrounding by a jeering crowd closing in on me, trapped in the confines of a locked baseball field with chain fences and locks.
- Teeth falling out. This one would take a while to explain.
The themes or aspects of my recurring dreams involve the following:
- I often revisit certain places from previous dreams.
- I am often in a large building, or a campus composed of many buildings, sometimes a neighborhood, sometimes a large event or festival. I try to find my way out. If I'm lucky, I can find my way out to a parking lot, or a road, yet I am always lost and I cannot find my way out, though I try desperately and never give up.
- While trying to escape from these places, I find myself discovering what seems to be an exit, but it only leads me into more rooms, or rooms I've already searched through.
- I "know" the people that are in my dreams, but they change all the time. There are no recurring characters in my dreams that I know or have known in person that fit these recurring themes or dreams.
- Often, while trying to find my way out, I will lose my shoes. Sometimes I have socks. Sometimes I am barefoot.
- If I can finally manage to exit the enclosure of buildings, etc. , and I do not have my shoes or socks, it is often raining. Then I am trapped in a large parking lot, desperately trying to find my car. I will use the remote on my keychain to see if my car will beep to let me know where it is. Sometimes I hear a beep. I hardly every find my car, or I will find what appears to be my car, only to be met with disappointment.
- If I do manage to find my car, I cannot find my way out of the parking lot. Or, if I do, I cannot find my way back home.
- If I can't find my car, I will begin to walk. If I walk, I will often revisit previous places from prior dreams. Sometimes I have shoes. Sometimes I don't. Always on foot I encounter the places I've dreamed about previously, and sometimes while taking public transportation.
- On foot, I will try to take public transportation, but the bus, the train, etc., always passes over my intended destination and lets me off somewhere else unknown, or they will not even allow me to use public transportation and refuse my entry. Then I am on foot again, and I encounter the same places from previous dreams.
- I sometimes find myself in high school, or middle school, or college again. I worry about a test or a project that is due that I have not prepared for or have not completed. Sometimes I will attend a certain class several times. Then I realize that I have graduated high school and college both years ago, that I don't need to worry about this. Then I try to escape and the same things I've already listed kick into high gear.
- Sometimes, if in school or on a campus, usually neither of which are very familiar, I will get into physical fights with people who start them with me. I usually win, thankfully, yet I can never escape.
- Oftentimes I will find myself going to work, and stressing out while working there, only to realize, while dreaming, that I haven't worked at these places for many years, that these places in the dream do not reflect reality, and I leave the job... Only to be unable to: Find my shoes, my socks, my car, a way out of the parking lot, or a way out on foot, sometimes finding myself in various locations that I've previously dreamed of, or a combination of everything already listed.
I have NO IDEA what is going on here. I don't mind revisiting certain places on foot when I dream, as I often go to parks, wilderness areas with hiking paths, subterranean passages, walk down long roads in strange places that I vaguely remember from my dreams. These places exist only in my dreams.
There is so much more that I can tell of my dreams, but I've already relayed more than enough information for a patient reader to take in in one post here!
Have you experienced anything even remotely similar? Or would you like to comment or make any inquiries?
Edited by niemandgeist, 27 September 2014 - 01:43 PM.