Paradox
©
Fisana

- - - - -

Is space the next step in man's evolution ?

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_dead_*

Guest_dead_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:28 PM

We better get of this rock or were fucked! Evolutionary dead end,us and every living organism on the planet as soon as the sun changes magnitude or the earth shifts enough in its orbit. Crispy critters or the deep freeze for us all.

#22 Guest_redmonk_*

Guest_redmonk_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:35 PM

Yeah , it sure would be nice to have a "back-up" plan !

#23 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:36 PM

there is that, the survival imperative.
but even then,
only a few will actually go,
the vast majority will stay behind.
it's certain that most people will continue to live wherever they are born.
so to really colonize another world we'll just send a few hundreds or thousands to 'be fruitful and multiply and fill the [new] earth'.
so do you really think enough people will agree to foot the bill to save the species when they know that neither they nor their descendants will actually get to go ?

#24 Guest_dead_*

Guest_dead_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:44 PM

We'll probably end up nukeing ourself out of existence first

#25 Guest_dead_*

Guest_dead_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:49 PM

we'll just send a few hundreds or thousands to 'be fruitful and multiply and fill the [new] earth' ... the chosen people? They're all going to be Jews,right? Maybe I got half a chance of getting on board one of those ships!

#26 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:52 PM

Maybe I got half a chance of getting on board one of those ships!
doubtful,
one would imagine that only the 'best of the best' would get to go, considering the expense involved. carefully screened for genetic make-up, trained and educated from youth for the mission, politically correct and connected...

#27 Guest_dead_*

Guest_dead_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 09:02 PM

Oh, damn. Not one of those criteria would fit me. Oh well, may as well just do drugs,screw and lay around in my own filth like I've been doing. Seeing as how I'm screwed anyway.

#28 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 09:14 PM

now you start to see my point.
99.99% of humanity will not get to go anywhere,
but will foot the bill for the .01% who do.
is mankind evolved enough to make the sacrifice for something as intangible and as uncertain as 'survival of the species' ?

#29 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 09:17 PM

lmao
yeah right ,send the best of the best so we freaks can finally live peacefully , we might even eventually find some alternative means of transportation Posted Image

#30 Guest_myco_*

Guest_myco_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 09:28 PM

missed that last post , fascinating stuff ,we wont be around at time of decisionmaking but i surely wish i could live one day , 500 years from now ,if i would survive it till the end of the day . Possibly at such a moment the earth would be less atractive as a permanent place to stay ,due to pollution and xtra heating from the sun etc.so it would be more inevitable to move and more clear for all to see it must happen ,it should be nice if by that time the earth's mess was cleaned up so the ones to stay behind would agree easier ,hard to imagine since the history of mankind is one of constant wars , a totalitarian regime will probably in place by that time ,not certain if we even want to be around that time

#31 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:00 PM

LOL at "only the 'best of the best' would get to go"....Now,Posted Image you know better than that hip. It would be the ones with the most money regardless of genetic makeup. Unless we get to have a revolution by then.

On another note, I'm hoping the Mars rover will find a big ass dinosaur skeleton or something. Wouldn't that change the world as much as Darwin did?

#32 Guest_roo_*

Guest_roo_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:06 PM

Hippie...

Have you ever read Cosmic Trigger and Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson?

I think Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future is the most probable. Humanity will almost destroy itself before it reaches out for the stars. I think that once we have "First Contact", we will see ourselves as humans first and formost, rather that members of nations, races or religions.

#33 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:08 PM

It would be the ones with the most money regardless of genetic makeup.
historically it's always been pretty hard to get the wealthy to immigrate, the brits had to bribe their aristocrats with huge land grants just to get a few to come to america. most only stayed long enough to look around before scurrying back to merry olde england.

I'm hoping the Mars rover will find a big ass dinosaur skeleton or something
a fossil would rock the world to its' foundations,
esp. religions.
cross your fingers...

Have you ever read Cosmic Trigger and Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson?
no, sorry.

I think that once we have "First Contact", we will see ourselves as humans first and formost, rather that members of nations, races or religions.
that would be nice but i have my doubts.

#34 Guest_roo_*

Guest_roo_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:19 PM

what do you think the results of "First contact" would be? Do you think it would alter the course of human evolution?

#35 meihoe

meihoe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:41 PM

We will someday leave this planet. All in one huge spaceship. It will take generations upon generations before we get to our final destination. Our species (when it comes down to it) would do anything for survival. I believe we have the Knowledge, and the determination to pull it off.

#36 meihoe

meihoe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:44 PM

Well not all of us. Just the select few hundred or so.

#37 noshadows

noshadows

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:15 AM

of course humans will always fight for survival and will work to migrate from this planet.

will we destroy ourselves before the technology develops that will allow us to migrate?
a great unknown.

i am confident technology will evolve our species to the point where we will be able to migrate, yet we are still many many breakthroughs away from this.

we must get the physical laws in order...physics has a long way to go before it can become universal.

greed is definitely a major obstacle for humanity. it is tough to know if we are at the end or at the beginning really. or we could just be in a cycle.

whatever happens, i just hope we take dogs with us.

peace.

#38 Guest_kush_*

Guest_kush_*

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:33 AM

Yepp we are on our way to being children of the stars!
(well some close barren rocks around our own little sun as a starter.)

And when we are there people will tell thier grandchildren about how you used to be able to plant a seed...just anywhere in stuff called DIRT and things would grow...without a totally controled man made enviroment, and those children will think that we lived in the garden of eden.

#39 banjojo

banjojo

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:00 AM

well, we do and don't appreciate it. Which leads to my point that we should really try our best to take care of earth, even though it may not be a permanent home. Anywhere worth living is worth taking care of.

I think by the time that it is humanly possible to travel to other planets that NASA probably won't exist. In fact, I don't think we will ever really be able to develope the technology unless the government was out of the picture. Or at least until after open source programming wins the battle against capitalism.

At this point most of the newest technology is at risk of being lost when our civilization goes under. The US empire is going to fall, before we really reach much of space, and the technology will have to be redeveloped by a future society. Hopefully they will be smart enough to back up their technology by sharing it with each other.

#40 shroomzhilla

shroomzhilla

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:40 AM

just look at all the pollution we are already dumping on Mars! the previous probes(dont remember the names), esp. the one with the mile to kilometer mix-up. not a very good calling card to the sentient/super evolved race dwelling under ground there. but screw 'em they dont pay taxes, and we dont need a fence to keep them out!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!