Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Why am I BuckarooBanzai? Why are you BLANK?

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#1 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

Somebody recently asked me why I choose BuckarooBanzai as a pseudonym. Well, there IS a meaning behind it and it goes a bit deeper than Peter Weller and the Black Lectroids.

Bonsai – rough translation “small container gardening” or “tray gardening.” Bonsai is the art of miniaturizing a plant/tree through root binding, pruning and carefully controlled hydration. To most practitioners, the art of Bonsai is an expression of Zen Buddhism. Zen Buddhists, after all, were the first to perfect the art of Bonsai and introduce it to the world.

Banzai – rough translation “ten thousand years.” First, that is a VERY rough translation. Banzai, in Japanese, has very significant cultural implications that are simply not carried or implied by this translation. It should also be stated that in Kanji (the Chinese pictographic words that compose part of Japanese logographic writing), the character for “ten thousand” (the second character of the “word” Banzai) can also be used to express infinity. Infinity, in Kanji, means a LOT more than does our word “infinity.” Infinity, in Kanji, is a spiritual expression, not a mathematical one. Banzai, in Kanji, directly connotes honor and/or an honorable leader.

Buckaroo – Another word for a Vaquero or a “working cowboy.” Rough translation: “a hired hand who works on horseback.”

I am WAY too hot headed to consider myself Zen; Bonsai, as a personal moniker, would be dishonest and (therefore) unacceptable.

So, though I strongly considered using the name “BuckarooBonsai” (lots of fun double entendre there) I choose instead “BuckarooBanzai” as my Mycotopia pseudonym.

I choose it partially because I freakin’ LOVE that movie (The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension). I can't explain why, but that movie is, to me, an encapsulation of the 80's. The time during which I came of age.

But I choose BuckarooBanzai MOSTLY because I’m a nut for linguistics and the derivation roots of words.

To me, that word “BuckarooBanzai” (and I left the space out very intentionally, it is INTENDED to be read as one word), connotes a very specific meaning:

“The honorable cowboy who lives forever.”

Or, more specifically, applying my own connotations and derivations, BuckarooBanzi is a specific reference to one human archetype: THE GUNSLINGER.

Naming myself Roland Deschain just seemed a little too easy/obvious.

And that is why I’m BuckarooBanzai.

If any of you feel like sharing the reasons behind choosing your pseudonym, I would LOVE to hear them!!!

And by the way, "because it sounded cool" is just as valid a reason for choosing your pseudonym as mine was.

Different strokes, you know?
  • claykrys and invisibilitysyndrome like this

#2 duncan

duncan

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:15 PM

Ok mine too has a menaing behind it. I have chosen the Duncan few in here know why with out me going itno details which was amazing. They understood it in the chat area.

The name I have chosen is Duncan. It comes from the movie Highlander. His name was Duncan Mc Cloud of the clan McCloud. Born in the Hills of Scottland in the early 1600. He is the Chosen one, there can only be 1. For he is immortal and can not die.

I too seem to feel that way. I was involved in a car/ tractor trailer accident some 17 years ago which should have by all means have taken my life. I hit the fuel tank of the big rig with the front left corener of my car which was a miracle that I first off didnt cause it to blow up and secondly I manged not to go under the truck with my small car and have the rear wheel drive over me and crush me. I ended up in a ditch with a small bruise on my arm. Now my car was totaled and that was painful. I have had other experiences to the same liking and have been spared for a reason or another.

I guess my life purpose hasnt been forfilled yet and my life must go on. I am sure I will add to this as more comes to me.

#3 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:25 PM

Freakin' NICE. That is EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

From one Highlander to another:

Here’s to them... brought us this far
And to them we’ve yet to see,
Them that made us what we are
And them that we will be.

Here’s to them that are in need
And to them who help them too,
Them that follow them that lead
And them who’s heart’s are true.

Here’s to them that love this land
All them of Scottish creed,
Raise them now to that Almighty Hand
That spread them Scottish seed.

My Gran'da taught me that one.

#4 Spark

Spark

OG

• Free Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

that would explain it buckaroobanzai

#5 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:07 PM

I've explained mine previously, but immortality seems way too painful to me. Only still here cuz I ain't done yet.
Thanks for the explanation, cool.

#6 SWIM

SWIM

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:00 AM

SWIM just seemed subtler than FOAF; how could I pass up having been mentioned before I got here?

#7 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:27 AM

I picked mine for the opposite reasons of which many pick a name, to deny their identity. Fuck that, I am me. :D

It is really interesting why people choose the names they do. Imagine if noone was named until they were old enough to choose one for themselves in real life.

#8 LotRev

LotRev

Technopagan

• Expired Member
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:32 AM

I'm no reverend.

#9 AKA_MoeSkizac

AKA_MoeSkizac

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:55 AM

One of my fav. movies, Lithgow is hillarious in that one...

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:11 AM

there can be only
one...

#11 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

Buck, that's a deep explantion of your screen name. Mine is really simple. "Mud-Love-Buddy" is an old ditty that the Grateful Dead morphed into a beatiful jam, thereafter renamed "Mind-Left-Body Jam" by the Dead community. In the early 1970s, one might hear a MLB Jam within a "Dark Star" or any modal jamming moment. In later years the MLB Jam would pop up at the end of a "Terrapin Station." It's a beautiful, cascading musical theme--folksy, rocky, jazzy, and spacey all at the same time.
As no other music has touched me so deeply as much of the Dead's live sets, I thought of the MLB Jam, and here I am.

#12 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:54 PM

Great explanation Buck. I hate to repeat myself but you DO have a way with words.

My name has a simple meaning.
Mush = Mushrooms
Shit = I love growing this shit!!
:thumbup:

#13 prismaticEffects

prismaticEffects

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:59 PM

"True in love and wisdom
Well off and witty
Using God's sleeve to wipe the hell off the city
See my elegance, dining on the periodic table called developments
The universe designs my intelligence
Drop science down a bottomless pit
Run swift - doin handstands on pyramid tips
The sun splits the waterfront causing prismatic effects"

-edan

i like the imagery...
i see colors...
  • mycomama likes this

#14 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:08 PM

I LOVE IT!

Thanks, guys! Nice to know a little more about y'all!

#15 SquaresandCubes

SquaresandCubes

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:30 PM

I chose SquaresandCubes for a certian reson that resonates with me personaly more than anything. My discovery of my fav band Sound Tribe Sector 9(sts9) happened around my discovery of psychedelics. Well when you add the discovery of psychedelics and a great livetronica band well what you get is a road trip across the country to follow these guys and to find out what life is all about. Squares and Cubes is a song they perform and one I found deep meaning in for my life. They get the name from a Boards of Canada song Triangles and Rhombuses I guess because BoC had a strong influence on the band but the songs themselves sound nothing alike. Well I decided to say fuck it and drop everything I owned and everything I was doing at the time and me a very close friend piled in my car(our home for the next few months) and set out. We had all sorts of adventures and the road and to top it all off we saw a beautiful concert everynight. Squares and Cubes, although the song has no words, reminds me why Im in this hobby and how my life changed from the discovery of psychedelics. I was a square and never thought twice about my role in life and why all this matters I just we along with things. But since then my life has change sooooo drastically and I find it to be an incredible improvement. Thats why my name has significance to me.

#16 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:18 PM

I'm a boring one...
I was getting into playing a MUD (text advanture game online with hundreds of people, the precurser to EverQuest style games) back in 97 or so, and they told me that the name i used was junk, and i needed to come up with a more medieval one.

For some reason i just HAD to be russian (i do have some russian blood in me, along with all the rest of the viking type countries), so i checked out the 8x4 foot world map i have hanging in the living room. After looking at all the different russian cities, i found Pskov. Despite the fact that i still don't know how to pronounce it (i think the ps is like the ps in psionics), i liked it.
By itself it didn't seem like enough of a name, so i added the insky.
Presto! Pskovinsky.
Of course, i screwed up way back then, it should be Pskovinski, russians don't put Y's on the end.

#17 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:16 PM

My name has a bit of history to it as many may already know. For those who don't, you'll have to check out Freaky's albino thread. I'd write it out but I'm tired of writting about the "big brag". Lol, one thing I will say is that has nothing to do with Star Wars :lol:

http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=6284

#18 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

my nickname took many days and many nights to come up with, it was definately chosen with extreme care and a concious effort. :smokin:

#19 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

My handle came about while studying Kung fu and working as a glassblower.

As a child growing up I always seemed to be at a friends house saturday night to watch David Carridene (we didn't have a tv). I absolutely LOVED that show. It shaped my beliefs more than any other external influence (family not included).

I really love working neon because to me it is true alchemy, earth (sand) plus fire equals glass add to that plasma and I literaly bring light to this world. Allbeit the scarlet whore of the advertising world, still it is both an art and a science.

I wanted something that included both my love for neon (glass) and the shaui chiao (kung fu) I was devoting so much time to. Recalling Master Po's engrish translation of his favorite student's nickname, I knew I had found my pseudonym.....

Glasshopper

#20 motograter

motograter

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:43 PM

mines just my favorite band. now I feel boring after reading some of your stories.......

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!