Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Why am I BuckarooBanzai? Why are you BLANK?

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#21 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

There are no boring nyms, dude, only boring posters!!!

#22 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

Here’s part of why I started this thread. PLEASE don’t be insulted by my impressions about your nyms…

Duncan – dude, I thought you were referencing doughnuts!

MLBjammer – I’m a dead freak from way back, but I have to admit, “Mind Left Body Jam” never entered my mind. I thought it was a reference to Major League Baseball…

Mushit – I thought you were into squishing things.

PrismaticEffects – Yours, I actually got.

SquaresandCubes – I thought you were referencing blotter and sugar cubes.

Glasshopper – I thought you were referencing the guy who moves around the circle to try and get additional hits. I swear to GOD, my smoking circle refers to that guy as a “glasshopper.”

Motograter – I thought you were referencing bikes.

So seriously, everyone, THANKS!

Little bits of knowledge like this are like diamonds to me…
  • Fresh Brewed likes this

#23 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

Like grater...mine feels kind of boring,

I'm still pretty new to Myco, so mine will probably be a lot less intriguing to most members (as most dont really know me well (yet) but i'll throw mine in anyway (for Buck more then anyone as he's kindly been my primary guide on mycotopia (what ever word suits, teacher, mentor, whatever) :P
I use two nicks predominantly, 'Fingers' and 'Vex Paradoks' the oldest by far is Fingers. (probably the less interesting of the two).

Fingers I took on around ten years ago when i first got online. I dont know if its noticable in any of my pics (holding stuff in the cameras LOS) but I have broad short fingers. (to the great amusement of many a GF :P.) The sexual suggestion is the double meaning, and mentioned when being a little cheeky.
But my more interesting nick would be Vex Paradoks. This is also my stage name as I once used to perform urban music (NOT that gangsta dribble, but a genre known as 'concious hip hop').
My nick was originally just 'Paradoks' which was based on my feelings of duality within myself.
I also used to study (and teach) martial arts and the chinese concept behind the Dao has long been in the forefront of my thinging (more commondly known as 'ying yang').
The balance between the postive, warm, light aspects of my personality, and the negative, cold, and dark aspects has always fascinated me.
Ive been known to say 'too nice to be a bad guy, too bad to be a nice guy'. Which i think is fairly accurate in my case.

I guess a lot of that has to do with how Ive been raised. Being Sicilian italian blooded the concept of hospitality and generosity is a strong value we're raised upon. But the concept of vegence and venom to those whove wronged us is equally prevelent in our thinking (IMO).

'Vex' was added some 7 years after 'paradoks' was chosen, in reference to my vexation with western government and its all consuming hypocracy. Perhaps more then simply the governments wrongs, 'the worlds' wrongs as a whole inspired 'vex'. Hence 'Vex Paradoks'.
Perhaps Vex would have been the wiser choice for Mycotopia, as Fingers is used more often in forums where a less serious comical air exists in the community, but i hadn't used Fingers in some years and I felt it might be time to return to the light hearted jovial manner I displayed in years gone by.
Contemplating the duality of oneself and the frustration/vexation with the world around us grows to be a heavy burdon to carry day after day.
Sometimes you just gotta have some fun, and give people the fingers :D

Fingers

#24 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

Glasshopper – I thought you were referencing the guy who moves around the circle to try and get additional hits. I swear to GOD, my smoking circle refers to that guy as a “glasshopper.”

I've never heard that reference before, that's friken funny :lol:

#25 Chaos

Chaos

Mocksvillian

• Expired Member
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

Well,my Wife had the coolest dog names when she was growing up.
She had two dogs named cerberus and hecuba.
I had two named andy & muffin
So when we got dogs we had to come up with unusaual names for ours

In Greek mythology, Chaos or Khaos is the primeval state of existence from which the first gods appeared.

In Greek mythology, Nyx (Nox in Roman translation) was the primordial goddess of the night.

So that is what we named our pupps.
We lost nyx about two years ago and chaos was on his last days.
When I was asked "screen name" the first thing I thought of was, Chaos.
So here I am.

#26 prismaticEffects

prismaticEffects

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

nice thread buck.

now everytime i see MLBjammer
i won't think of rock&roll baseball...

#27 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:21 PM

i like your avatar buck and always look at it wondering "what's the story behind it?"
As for my nym: it is basically mushroom-bri. that's me :thumbup:

#28 operationcultivation

operationcultivation

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

when me and my friends decided to grow mushrooms we came up with specific tactis and details to not get caught... we called it operation cultivation.

its been about 4 months of stealthy successful growin.
and none of us have been caught yet.

#29 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:03 AM

This is great stuff, dudes! MORE MORE MORE!!!

Mycobri - my avatar is a photo (title: visceral thought) done by an absolutely amazing artist named Connie Imboden (www.connieimboden.com). I have a few of her pieces and they are simply breathtaking. The really amazing thing is that none of her stuff is photoshopped or retouched in any way. She gets those images with mirrors and light sources and pools of water - straight photography, not even any double exposures.

Some other pieces you might enjoy...

Sainthood:
http://mycotopia.net...53&d=1138256017

Spell:
http://mycotopia.net...54&d=1138256017

#30 SquaresandCubes

SquaresandCubes

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:08 PM

SquaresandCubes – I thought you were referencing blotter and sugar cubes.

No but it is funny you say this because while on tour we went over this many times as a possiblity that they named their song that for this reason. Still dont know why it is named this bc all their songs are instrumentals but the concert and atmosphere of their shows are flooded with what you speak of.

#31 SquaresandCubes

SquaresandCubes

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

nice thread buck.
now everytime i see MLBjammer
i won't think of rock&roll baseball...

Thats what I thought too

#32 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:26 AM

And baseball is my least favorite sport. Well, I 'll drink some beer and watch a game with the boys once in a while, but I would much rather watch football or college basketball. But my screen name is definitely about Jerry and the boys. I saw 100 shows between 1989 and 1995 (a very bad year for me and many others) and 10 JGB shows in that same time span. I was also an avid tape trader, with a little over 1000 hours of some pretty good soundboard stuff from 66-95.
And I am an obsessive music fan and musician, guitar player, singer, and sometimes songwriter, so music is tied to most things in my life. I see music as my means to communicate with the abstract, to express what humanity I possess.
I am sorry to digress. This is a wonderful thread, Buck. I sort of figured you were one of the Tribe from your posts. And I also get the idea that you are a major Stephen King fan. When I was pursuing a master's in literature some years ago, my major theory was that King is the 20th century equivalent of Twain (21st century now) in that King's work exhibits most traits of what we call literature and is still able to relate to a non-literary audience--just like Mark Twain. Sadly, I dropped out of grad. school before I finished, just burnout from 6 straight years of full-time school and work and the generally provincial and materialistic position of the academic world--almost as bad as corporate America, in some ways.
I figured that you would find some interest in that, Buck. But just think of some music that makes you smile and move your feet when you see my name. Peace.

#33 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

You hit that one on the head. I consider King to be the greatest author of the 20th century. Why is that if you are prolific AND readable AND popular, what you write isn't literature? The Twain comparison is a very valid one - one I've made many times before.

It is sad that King won't get the "literary respect" he so richly deserves until after he is gone. I predict that within the next 30 years, King will be taught alongside Twain and (blech) Dickens. I despise Dickens, by the way.

And yea, I was a pretty fanatical head, back in the day. I'd love to show you my tattoos, but they would give my identity away rather quickly. Saw my first show in 86. I was a hippie hating punk with a fuscha mohawk just there to score acid in the parking lot. Ended up falling in with some of those "hatable hippies," eating a tad too much and getting miracled.

I went onto that lot sneering with both middle fingers upraised. I walked out of that show, feeling my very first glow, hugging everybody and bouncing around like an excited 5 year old. Needless to say, The Grateful Dead (and the lot scene) changed my life in ways far too numerous to mention.

#34 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:31 AM

Those are beautiful words, Buck. You just never know when life is going to kick you in the butt and show you things you didn't know existed. That's what makes the journey worth taking, I guess.
I am not much of a Dickens fan, either, too stodgy and melodramatic for my tastes. As far as poetry: Donne, Keats, some Milton, some Walt Whitman, T.S. Eliot, e.e. cummings, and Allen Ginsburg. Novelist and verse writers: Shakespeare, Twain, Poe, Steinbeck, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert Bloch, Robert E. Howard (he invented Conan the Barbarian), Arthur Conan Doyle (who held some very strange beliefs), Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison, Stephen King, and lately a writer named Brian Lumley--who's not really literary but writes a hell of a good horror story (The "Necroscope" series is particularly good stuff).
I am sorry to turn this into a Masterpiece Theatre moment, but I's a book worm. Later.

#35 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:12 AM

I have many times wondered how to get to know about the inner workings of fellow "topiates" without crossing the personal info line. Buckaroo you have managed to do it, your well known mastering of online vibes has once again confounded me.

The Jesus. I had long had the nickname "The Jesus" because of my long dark beard and hair. On a pretty heavy trip with a few old friends I was talking out of my ass and telling them that The Jesus in The Big Lebowski was modeled after me. I may even have licked a basketball (we don't bowl) to prove my point. Just as I was on the crest of a wave of invincibility. The shroomy wave we call it. My friend pointed out that The Jesus in The Big Lebowski was later found to be a pedophile. So now, due to my crazy story I had gone from being nicknamed after the most famous carpenter ever, to my nickname deriving from a "patterass". Needless to say that wave crashed down pretty quick.

So when I picked a name it was my old nickname and when I picked an avatar it had to do with my new one.

BTW I saw Sound Tribe Sector Nine on a random invite and they are REALLY good.

#36 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:36 AM

The Jesus – TOP FREAKIN’ KNOTCH, MAN!!! I have always said, if you can’t laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at anyone else. You, sir, have the right to laugh at anybody! Sobchak cocking his piece as your avatar just makes it.

As to mastering online vibes…dude, I’ve been haunting places like this for 20+ years now. It isn’t so much mastery as it is just a lot of practice and a lot more mistakes, err, learning experiences.

“Maybe God isn’t all powerful. Maybe he’s just been around so long he knows everything that is going to happen.”
-Phil Conners (Bill Murray), Groundhog Day (directly referencing Luis de Molina's thesis of God’s “middle knowledge”)

MLB – Bloch, Lovecraft, Ellison and Eliot? Sounds like your reading list is as conceptually dyslexic as mine! Bravo!

#37 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:44 AM

Whatever it is Buck. Just promise me you'll keep it up.

#38 AKA_MoeSkizac

AKA_MoeSkizac

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:52 AM

AKA_MoeSkizac was originally just MoeSkizac on the old mycotopia board some 3 or 4 years ago. At the time, I had just went through two weeks worth of Moe. shows and when i got home i registered for Mycotopia all the while watching The Simpsons(Moe Sczyslak, barkeep of Moe's Tavern) and being as drunk as I was, mispelled Moe Sczyslak (I just misspelled misspelled didn't I...??:lol: ) and came up with MoeSkizac. After a hiatus from the hobby for a good while, I couldn't remember my password for my old handle to log on to Mycotopia, so therefor I then became AKA_MoeSkizac.

#39 pareil

pareil

happy just to be here

• Expired Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:48 PM

pareil is a french word meaning parallel or equal.
i studied french a little as a kid,
and though i never learned or used this word then,
i picked up enough to know that nonpareil meant
unparallelled or without equal.
not wanting to enter an online community with a boastful attitude,
i went for the opposite.
i figure it's as good a name as any other... :)

#40 hallucinogeneti

hallucinogeneti

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

hehe mine was going to be hallucinogenetics. Taken from the live primus dvd of the same name. I saw them in 05 and was blown away. But if you notice hallucinogeneti is the max amount of characters. Sounds cool anyway

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!