29 replies to this topic

#1 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

No, not a holiday. Not a birthday. It's time for change! Wait, is there a "special" time of year for that? nm.

Changes. As you've all probably noticed there are a few minor edits -- staff titles, colors, some new admins from the community, and some new admins from outside the community.  All is well. I assure you. :)

All of these minor edits will be paired with larger community-wide changes that will ultimately effect everything that is Mycotopia as we know it. Sounds big doesn't it?  The truth is that we've been loosely talking about, arguing about, and planning *some* change for quite some time now. In the end I think we've finally settled on a workable solution, we're all in agreement, and some movement is being made. Yay!

So at this time we're just doing a little sprucing up of the backend of things so we can more effectively engage with the community. These changes will bring about further upgrades, site layout changes, content management, new graphics, icons, and in general further development on our new platform. In short, we're not only trying to bring Mycotopia back to its roots, we're trying to do that while making her available to even more people.

Please welcome our new admins, both internal and external, as they will be volunteering a lot of time to shape this place up. The folks that I have brought on board, as mentioned in another thread, are here to assist with the administration tasks as well as help me build out new features for all of you.

We appreciate your contributions and support, and hope everyone is as excited as we are for all that's coming our way!

Feel free to post your comments here. We will update with more announcements as they become necessary. Otherwise hang tight, enjoy the ride, and keep your limbs inside the car at all times!

Zen_

:meditate:

• bugs, Xerces, AGAMA and 6 others like this

#2 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

So at this time we're just doing a little sprucing up of the backend Otherwise hang tight, enjoy the ride, and keep your limbs inside the car at all times!

Cowboy Neil
At the Wheel
of the Bus to Never Never Land!

Welcome to our new staff members! Climb aboard, fasten your seat belts (or not)!

image.jpg

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 28 September 2014 - 09:47 AM.

• Zen_, Sidestreet, -=Zeus=- and 1 other like this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,288 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the update Zen it is appreciated :)

R we looking at any shut down time for these changes this year?

Welcome to our new admins :)

#4 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

There may be a few minutes here and there, but overall no, there should be no official *downtime* to speak of.

There are also changes being made to the hosting infrastructure as well. More info on that later. Those changes may result in further, but short, downtimes as servers are spun up, data migrated, dns, etc.

• Arathu and wildedibles like this

#5 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

Back-end changes to enhance performance and productivity are always nice.

The thing that really won me over with this forum is the beautiful and practical application of CSS. I do some front-end web development as a hobby and do some freelance work, so I could really, really appreciate the color scheme and use of CSS in the design. I like it very much.

I haven't done back-end work in a long, long time, as I haven't had my own personal website project for a good long while. I can certainly appreciate all of the work and planning that goes into this process, though.

I wish you all good luck and strength to continue through when you run into snags or bugs. I'm one of those people who will encounter a problem and work tirelessly until I manage to develop a solution. Hopefully you enjoy "the hunt" when it comes to getting things to work, improving things, as I do.

I look forward to reading more updates, hearing about the problems you've encountered and how you manage to solve them.

Coding, front-end or back-end, or application development, is in a way, I feel, like "playing god". You want life to thrive, but sometimes it needs some nudging, and sometimes you need to expand your knowledge base to get something to work. When you manage to get it just so, however, well, that's amazing! Oh, and to view your final working product, after you've racked your brain, after so many setbacks, to see that it is as you envisioned it... Nothing else compares. :biggrin:

Edited by niemandgeist, 28 September 2014 - 01:33 PM.

• Zen_, bugs, MycoDani and 3 others like this

#6 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

As someone who lives with a person who does CSS for a living thank you!

Not many know how hard this stuff can be. Me and my sig other mycobri joke people think web sites pop out of emails.

It's nice to see someone who understands code. It's a special skill set. So thank you Niem for your kind words!

Mahalo~Dani
  • wildedibles likes this

#7 Pilzkopf

Pilzkopf

Der Pilzreich Führer

• Expired Member
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:46 PM

A warm welcome to all of these changes! The new Mycolab area, as well as a few other things (like new admins/mods [YAY!]) are seeming great. Thanks for all of the hard work you're all putting into this. I see the changes, and I love most of 'em.

...that being said, I'm not so sure how fond I am of the background of a mycology-centric website being a tessellation of ghosts holding fan leaves... Seems kinda' off-topic...entirely off-topic if you neglect our botany area.

• wildedibles likes this

#8 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:48 AM

I'm absolutely loving the spooky cannabis ghosts, so much so that I made an individual post to bring attention to them. It's a very subtle change. I thought I was dreaming or seeing things at first, but yep, they're definitely there! It's a nice little festive change. I think that a lot of people might have gotten accustomed to ignoring the tiled background image that borders everything on this forum.

It's the little changes that count, and it's the attention to detail that I can appreciate, seeing as I do a lot of this stuff as a hobby.

I'm hoping that we'll see even more seasonal changes here that will surprise and provide for much enjoyment.

Oh, and CSS is a love/hate relationship. It's amazing what you can do to a plain, simple HTML/XHTML document these days with a little bit of CSS. I remember when I first started learning CSS in 1997, when it was in its infancy. Back then we were thrilled to be able to change the color of text and add some simple styles to hyperlinks, tables, borders, and buttons.

Now you can have fading, animated color-shifting links, horizontal and diagnonal gradients, and just make everything so darned beautiful. It takes a lot of work and trial and error to get it just so, though. Thankfully all current versions of the major web browsers support a more standardized way of handling CSS, though, as per W3C recommendations. It makes the web a more interesting place.

Then again, CSS still causes me, and I'm sure many others, to bash their heads repeatedly into their keyboards wondering WHY THIS WILL NOT WORK! DAMN IT THIS SHOULD WORK!

Box model be damned.

• Zen_, MycoDani, Pilzkopf and 1 other like this

#9 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

It's a nice little festive change.

Exactly. Just a little something we do for October. A tad early I suppose.

• Pilzkopf, wildedibles and Juthro like this

#10 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

Ha pilz, it is a seasonal thing, we don't get all creepy with Easter bunnies or a Santa, but we traditionally have a Halloween theme during October. I believe it is in your options to put it back to default for you, or it used to be that way with the old software.
  • Pilzkopf, wildedibles and Juthro like this

#11 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

I disabled the other theme. I'll turn it back on if folks are so inclined to get rid of the ghosties.  Bottom of your window, click "change theme" and choose Mycotopia v5

• wildedibles likes this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,780 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

I like the festive change, thanks Zen.

• MycoDani, Pilzkopf and wildedibles like this

#13 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

I used to banish the ghosts when they appeared in the fall, but now I kinda like them, I guess I associate it with fall time, which is my favorite season.
  • wildedibles and niemandgeist like this

#14 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

Well you probably got it covered but I know HTML, CSS, PHP, jQuery, etc etc etc.

• wildedibles likes this

#15 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

^^ Send me a PM, we may need to bring some *real* coders on-board at some point and would like to keep your info handy. There are a few skilled folks here that have offered. Stick around, we may need you!

Any portfolio sites would be nice as well/sample work.

• wildedibles likes this

#16 ConsciousFeeder

ConsciousFeeder

Too rich the rich king.

• Expired Member
  • 920 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

Rodger that. I'll provide you with some references and what not if it comes to that. I'll PM you shortly.

• Zen_, MycoDani and wildedibles like this

#17 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,394 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

i'm excited, and love the hollows eve theme. TY to all who contribute!

• Pilzkopf and wildedibles like this

#18 Pilzkopf

Pilzkopf

Der Pilzreich Führer

• Expired Member
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:30 PM

The new "Site Administrators" scare me, MaH! May I ask if the new site administrators are going to be taking only workload off of you, or if you expect your posting frequency to decrease? I don't see enough of you as it is.

Hoping the transition is going smoothly!

• wildedibles and Bombadil like this

#19 tobh

tobh

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:02 PM

just throwing it out there, I freelance as well. I am capable in PHP, jQuery, Joomla, MySQL, Java, ANSI C, HTML5, Javascript, etc. i'll say it threw me off when I first came back, completely new face on the ol' girl. love how efficient it is now as well, very nicely cleaned up.

tipping my hat to you guys for smooth sailing! cheers!

• Zen_, MycoDani and wildedibles like this

#20 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

The new "Site Administrators" scare me, MaH! May I ask if the new site administrators are going to be taking only workload off of you, or if you expect your posting frequency to decrease? I don't see enough of you as it is.

Hoping the transition is going smoothly!

The site admins will be taking most of my workload, and additional workload that has yet to be added. i.e. the workload is too great and must be spread out.

just throwing it out there, I freelance as well. I am capable in PHP, jQuery, Joomla, MySQL, Java, ANSI C, HTML5, Javascript, etc. i'll say it threw me off when I first came back, completely new face on the ol' girl. love how efficient it is now as well, very nicely cleaned up.

tipping my hat to you guys for smooth sailing! cheers!

Can you please PM me this as well as any reference sites you would like to share?  I have had a few folks with certain web expertise contact me about freelancing/volunteering to help, and we may very well need some of you folks in the upcoming months!

/lots-o-growth-occurring 

• SilvrHairDevil, AGAMA, Pilzkopf and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!