anybody grown grains. any advice?

#2 BetweenDimensionalPassings

BetweenDimensionalPassings

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 502 posts

Donator

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

What advice would you like? I mastered Popcorn/WBS, can tell you anything you need to know (I think, ask away and we'll see.)

*WAIT*

Are you trying to grow grains? Or properly work with them in mushroom cultivation.

Edited by BetweenDimensionalPassings, 03 October 2014 - 02:58 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#3 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

Thanks BDP

Grow grains as in farming,

I want to make my own bread and such to understand how my ancestors lived 400 + years ago,  but also use my grain for mushroom cultivation.

I've already started some winter rye , growing good. I want to grow my own rye, hard red winter wheat , and oats. I would love to grow rice to.

any advice will be of great value.

• kcmoxtractor and wharfrat like this

#4 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

a friend of mine has offered me me 2 acres , to work with.   I also have a pretty good size area offered my another friend.

the old man at the feed store asked me if I was doing some planting,. he is very cool. I think he was happy to see me just to talk.
He sells open pollinated non gmo  seeds and other supplies ...... I'd rather not mention.

• wharfrat likes this

#5 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

Rice needs lots of water. As in, it grows in marsh conditions. If you can't keep an area of your 2 acres flooded for the duration, you can't grow rice. Sorry.

I grew several varieties of corn this year to make seed stock for next year. It's a little mind blowing how many heirloom varieties are out there. Corn will cross pollinate super easy, so to ensure genetic purity if you're going for seed, you need keep varieties separated by at least a half mile, more if you have terrain that would promote cross pollination. Like if you live in a valley and wind blows down the valley in the morning but up the valley in the evening, you wouldn't want to plant a variety at the top and a different one at the bottom because the wind will cross them for sure. Better to plant the 2 varieties on opposite lateral sides of the property so that the wind hits them at the same time.

Also, because of the wind pollination, you want to plant corn in blocks, not rows. If you have 100 corn plants to plant, a block of 10 x 10 will do much better than 2 rows of 50.

I also grow sorghum, which is super easy. Needs waaaaaaay less water than corn does, is a very pretty plant, and makes a great living fence. Sorghum is a staple cereal crop in africa, but i grow it as poultry feed. I haven't grown other ceral grains, but i may try oats depending on how much clear land i get next spring.

• Heirloom likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!