• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 03:20 AM

Evening! I'm thinking to try wild bird seed in a few days, and combine it with the rez effect method. (I'm also going to try rez effect with popcorn at the same time but that's another story...how much of an improvement is it?)

Regarding the prep of the wbs, I've read of 1. boiling for 45 min before straining, loading into jars plus water, and pc'ing and 2. soaking for 8-12 hours then staining, loading, etc. I'd like to soak overnight; should I not be boiling for 30-60min, rinsing, boiling for 5min, then refridgerating overnight? Then I strain, load into jars, add water, and pc, yes?

The one thing I don't understand is how much water to add before pc'ing after an overnight soak. If I recall correctly, the first method without the soak would have me add roughly 1 part water for 2 parts wbs, yes? Could someone please give me an estimate for the ratio after a soak, and correct me if I'm wrong on the ratio for the non-soak method?

I'm thinking to use brf PF cakes as spawn for these. I've read that I need to shake up the wbs jars shortly after pc'ing. Will these jars be more difficult to spawn with than popcorn in a glovebox? I'd be scraping bits of the brf cake into several wbs jars, then shaking like popcorn.

Thanks!

#2 Guest_ramen_*

Guest_ramen_*

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:26 PM

i think popcorn kinda sucks, but as you said, thats
another story.

as for preparing the wbs,
http://mycotopia.net...tml? 1070673641
6tango's guide is the shit.

follow that closely. and personally, id go for 12h or even a lil more if you want.
so after soaking, if you dont have a nice colander for the job of straining, use a shirt. just load in a few handfuls at a time, and do a nice job of rinsing it in the sink. then you can squeeze the grain to help get rid of excess water. like 6tango says, it should not drip at all! nice n' [sorta] dry. then load it into jars and pc.
i dont really add water to it after loading it into jars... if anything, just like [max] 2cc of water per quart. usually not needed.

yeah, and after pcing, beat the crap out of the jars [dont break em!]. you should have it eventually so that the grain flows reasonably well. if you dont do this, it will all kinda clump together like a rock and make it a pain later.

no, it wont be harder to do g2g [or cake go grain.. =/] transfers.

#3 mycota

mycota

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:47 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

\ 6tango's guide is the shit. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>}

Thanks for the KIND words......

#4 Guest_peabody_*

Guest_peabody_*

Posted 05 February 2005 - 09:35 PM

I just pour about 3 inches of dry seed into a 5 gallon bucket, then fill it half way with water and soak 18-24hrs. Drain for an hour, and yer good to go. Myself, I have had endless popcorn problems, and since it's harder to prepare with less innoculating points for G2G, then why bother?

#5 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:41 PM

Thanks guys.

So if I boil for an hour, rinse, boil for 5 min, then refrigerate for 24 hrs, boil for a few minutes (for good straining), strain for 45 min, I don't need to add ANY water when loading jars for PC'ing? Just fill them 2/3 full?

I'm going to do res effect with popcorn mostly because I have a lot of popcorn coming ready and I'd like to see what dif it'll make; if wbs works as well as I've been reading I likely will stop using it. I have found it easy to work with though; I have to wonder what methods you were using Wayback - I'm just annoyed I can't use it successfully for spawning between brf and popcorn.

(Message edited by morthos on February 06, 2005)

#6 Guest_peabody_*

Guest_peabody_*

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:24 AM

Put the bird seed in a bucket, fill 2/3, then use a window screen to drain while tilting. Repeat 3-4 times, until water is fairly clear. Afterwards, let sit overnight, drain well (45-60 mins), load jars 2/3, and pc at 15 psi for 1 hr.

Stay away from the boiling trip, as that has caused me considerable problems when trying to ascertain the proper moisture content, eg. burst grains and water logged grains that tend to stick to the bottom of jars and just cause plain old rot.

The al natural 18-24 hr soak has worked better.

#7 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:19 AM

Thx Wayback, I hadn't been thinking about the burst grains after it not being an issue with popcorn. I think I'll still let it sit in the 'frige for the 18~24 to slow bacteria growth.

I have a colander, I'll use that instead of my splash screen.

Soon the fun beginsPosted Image

#8 cflashor

cflashor

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

Any info about using dish soap, gypsum, pickling lime during soak?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!