• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:49 PM

ive been doing torchwork for about a year now. check out thegldg.com its a great glass working forum if your really interested in getting into it.

you can get a super bare bones set up for making soft glass beads for under 100 bucks. check out a hothead torch. it runs on plain mapp gas from the store. will let you get a feel for it without blowing loads of cash.

to answer some of the other questions... pipes are made out of borosilicate (pyrex) glass which requires a higher working temp. you will need a fuel/oxy torch to melt it, not just a brazing type torch.

if you do melt it back smooth, you will need to anneal it after. which is the process of 'baking' the glass to allow the thermal stresses built up from having some parts molton and some not to flow out of the pipe. if you do not do this, someday down the road the glass will end up cracking by itself.

#22 shimmy

shimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

i dont know if anyone else has said this but check your local community college if you have them all of mine in my area have glass blowing classes

#23 SquaresandCubes

SquaresandCubes

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

This is a sketch of a buddy doing some glass work

Attached Thumbnails

• sc0000179f.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!