52 replies to this topic

#1 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 577 posts

Donator

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

**** This is an experiment in process, an attempt to further the science of home mycology with new procedures and techniques. This technique is untested, unconventional, and experimental. It has not been peer reviewed. New growers reading this shouldn't attempt to use this method as a reliable way to produce mushrooms. **** -Mycotopia Moderation Staff

My godfather sent me this link.
http://cen.acs.org/a...ld-Biofilm.html

Who wants to try it with me?
New substrate! :)
Shows how much they know if it didn't even occur to them that they could grow mushrooms in bags instead of Erlenmeyer flasks.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 27 November 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#2 Newmusher

Newmusher

New

• Free Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:41 PM

By the gods, this NEEDS to be done. For SCIENCE!

• SeaUrchin and Saphroziac like this

#3 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,055 posts

Donator

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:22 PM

That would make for some pretty price bulk sub's but what the hell
  • Saphroziac likes this

#4 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 577 posts

Donator

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

not if you buy them in bulk from the cheerios store which exists...somewhere.

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:10 AM

Cheerios for a substrate? That's surreal!

(sorry, can't help it sometimes)

In all seriousness, using a processed commercial product is pretty smart and probably saves huge sums of money (at least during he R&D phase) by ensuring a homogeneous substrate necessary for producing the desired compounds for their experiments but it'll be interesting to see how they would go about producing commercial quantities/scaling it up.

And this part of the article sure caught my attention:

The idea to put the Cheerios in a bag instead of a flask came in 2011, when Cichewicz stumbled upon a how-to blog for growing psychedelic mushrooms. Those growers use big, breathable plastic bags called mushroom bags. One 50-cent bag, Cichewicz calculated, would provide the same growing surface area as 18 Erlenmeyer flasks. That would cut back on graduate student hours spent washing glassware, he thought. When his team took one promising fungus, Bionectria ochroleuca, and compared its growth on Cheerios in flasks versus in mushroom bags, they found that the species produced a similar metabolite profile under both conditions.

2011? That just goes to show that we need to facilitate better interdisciplinary communication among researchers as the volume of scientific data and information in the world continues to grow far beyond the level that any one person could possibly grasp. That leads to increasing redundancy and inefficiency as various research projects end up reinventing countless wheels that have already been perfected by researchers from other disciplines just because they didn't know about them. I expect this will get worse as the volume of information available continues to rise exponentially.

Or at least that's the only explanation I can think of for why a professional research scientist developing cutting-edge myco-technology had not heard of spawn bags until 2011, and then only from a site dedicated to Psilocybes (which might have been this one). Might be time to develop specialized scientific Journals dedicated to fostering the interdisciplinary applicability of published peer-reviewed research so as to get around the problem of each discipline having it's own arcane, jargon-infested Journal that is often incomprehensible (more or less) to scientists from other fields.

The current approach will lead to science becoming a beast with many heads where one doesn't know what the others are up to, resulting in a lot of time and money being wasted covering the same ground over and over (which already seems to have begun). The scientific community should probably also try to adopt more flexibility in how it defines specific fields of study so it can more quickly adopt new discoveries that might change the nature of the boundaries between disciplines or possibly spawn entirely new fields, like how developments in Quantum physics are relevant to neurology (which could spawn a new field we might call Quantum Neurology).

• SeaUrchin, Saphroziac, Newmusher and 1 other like this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

Mycotopia's only leucistic cat and bat hybrid©

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

not if you buy them in bulk from the cheerios store which exists...somewhere.

I'm sure there's some just as uniform off brand bulk version.

• SeaUrchin likes this

#7 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:58 PM

I can see consistency being a huge issue, when cherrios get wet, they turn to goo, and cube mycelium doesn't like gooey substrates. Give it a whirl, I would LOVE to see it work!

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

yeah, in the article they don't go into the moisture.. I suspect that they do a very minimum of misting/water administering. 

• Spooner likes this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

Let's do it!

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

Alright, fuck it, I emailed dude:

Greetings Prof. Cichewicz,

My name is Matthew, and I read with great interest an article where you and your students used Cheerios as a fungal substrate. As I am an amateur mycologist and am attempting some grows of various edibles i.e. golden oyster (pleurotus citrinopileatus), milky (calocybe indica) etc.. This article naturally piqued my interest. I was just wondering if you would share (in laymans terms as I have not attended university) your method and specifically how you hydrated and sterilized your substrate.

Thank you in advance for your attention,
Matthew Matthews

the above is a psuedonym lol

• TurkeyRanch, Mushnoob1976 and Journey like this

#11 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

Dude eMailed this:

Dear Matthew,
I am glad to hear you found the information useful.
Sterilization of the Cheerios is required. We use autoclaves (obviously this is not something most people have at home). I know some people use pressure cookers, but that would destroy the Cheerio shape and texture. It is possible to heat treat them by baking in the oven covered with foil at >300 F. I am guessing that will knock out most of the contaminants. The following hydration step is to make a weak sugar water solution. A few tablespoons in water would work. You can boil it to sterilize and then add it to the Cheerios to moisten.
Good luck.

Robert H. Cichewicz, Ph.D.

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 06 November 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

I asked him about hydration and he responded:

You will have to test different ratios of Cheerios to liquid. We came up with a volume so that the amount of liquid added was nearly completely absorbed in about an hour. You do not want lots of standing liquid. Since I am not sure the volume you will use, you will have to try out a few things to see if it works. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Robert H. Cichewicz, Ph.D.

#13 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

A more specific answer on how much sugar to how much water would be helpful. Also, he used pure white cane sugar? Huh you'd think you would get a better answer out of a PhD than "a few spoonfuls of sugar, in some water should work."

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 06 November 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#14 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:11 PM

Maybe he smokes dust or crack.

#15 SeaUrchin

SeaUrchin

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

I can't wait to see a Cheerio's grow log!

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:51 AM

Working on it, I have another grow log in the experiment forum: https://mycotopia.ne...e-lying-around/

stay tuned for the eventual cherrios log.

#17 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...e-4#entry360947

inspired me to try some of my favorite cereal :thumbup:

invitro Creepers on cheerios
cheerios and verm 50/50 cakes
post-6168-138185874093_thumb.jpg 
the mix
post-6168-138185874101_thumb.jpg 
creeper spores courtesy of eatyualive 

More on cheerio's by Mycobri:

https://mycotopia.ne...e-2#entry883027

• MycoDani and CatsAndBats like this

#18 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,857 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

I was just going to say my sig other mycobri as Hyph shows did this years ago. He will be so happy to know someone wants to re explore Cheerios.

I'll pick his brain tonight maybe he'll be inspired to come on.

Anyway good luck and thank you Hyph for putting up that info!

#19 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 7,695 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...e-4#entry360947

inspired me to try some of my favorite cereal :thumbup:

invitro Creepers on cheerios
cheerios and verm 50/50 cakes
post-6168-138185874093_thumb.jpg 
the mix
post-6168-138185874101_thumb.jpg 
creeper spores courtesy of eatyualive 

thank you hyph, I am going to do my best to get them to grow on the cheerios whole, so that they consume them whole and end up with myceliumO's                                                                                                                                   :tinfoil:

Edited by catattack, 07 November 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#20 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,200 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

Just soaking cereal in milk for a moment makes them mush... Be interesting to see how you moisten them without having them do that.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!