52 replies to this topic

#21 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,782 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

did you read my letter exchange further up in the thread?

#22 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 7,921 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:40 AM

index.jpeg

I think this guy grew some magic mushrooms on his lucky charms.

But seriously I was wondering if smashing  up the cherios and adding it to verm like a pf cake would work.

Of course you would still have to get the moisture right.

#23 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,857 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

Yes it works my sig other Mycobri made cheerio cakes with the creeper strain. And they grew. So yes this has and can be done.:)

I'd like to see more work on it personally.

#24 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,782 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, when I have some extra cash, I'll try.

#25 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,522 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

I can see consistency being a huge issue, when cherrios get wet, they turn to goo, and cube mycelium doesn't like gooey substrates. Give it a whirl, I would LOVE to see it work!

Maybe add lots of gypsum. I was reading an abstract that some university was trying an experiment where they would pulverize grain and add gypsum to it which stopped it from becoming like dough and the results were excellent with colonization speeds being increased 10 fold. They also supplemented bulk sub with this ground grain and saw a increase in yields as well. Im a little off track as usual but maybe if gypsum was added to the cheerios then it might work very well.

Edited by Microbe77, 23 November 2014 - 02:26 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#26 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

I can see consistency being a huge issue, when cherrios get wet, they turn to goo, and cube mycelium doesn't like gooey substrates. Give it a whirl, I would LOVE to see it work!

Maybe add lots of gypsum. I was reading an abstract that some university was trying an experiment where they would pulverize grain and add gypsum to it which stopped it from becoming like dough and the results were excellent with colonization speeds being increased 10 fold. They also supplemented bulk sub with this ground grain and saw a increase in yields as well. Im a little off track as usual but maybe if gypsum was added to the cheerios then it might work very well.

Sounds promising. Gypsum does an amazing job of breaking up heavy/impermeable clay soil for better drainage/aeration so it seems like it could do the same for a dense glob of saturated Cheerios. 

• Microbe and catattack like this

#27 GrowerOfShrooms

GrowerOfShrooms

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:22 PM

I want to try this. Is anyone currently experimenting with this tek?

#28 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,782 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

I'm not, I need extra money for this grow, and cash is TIZIGHT!

#29 GrowerOfShrooms

GrowerOfShrooms

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:19 AM

Extra money for what? A box of cheerios ? :P this is the only variable in the experiment I think. I might pioneer this but I'm a noob and don't wanna waste my z strain print on near guaranteed failure!
  • wharfrat likes this

#30 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,053 posts

Donator

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:24 AM

Yeah but you are talking about $6 a lb instead of 50lbs. It would be cool to see it work but in no way is it practical.
  • Hash_Man and Cue like this

#31 GrowerOfShrooms

GrowerOfShrooms

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:36 AM

Well that all depends on WHY you are using cheerios in the first place. Even if your doing it for profit(instead of scientific exploration or to "trip balls"), then at $10 a dried gram your still profiting although not nearly as much. I'm mostly just in interested in the adventure and putting more facts in the books. And I think it would be cool to see mycelium colonize ten times faster. It would be like watching it spread, nonchalantly gliding across the glass jar<3

#32 GrowerOfShrooms

GrowerOfShrooms

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:38 AM

Buy one box of cheerios. Make your substrate and would, should, be able to do enough jars for a sufficiently accurate experiment.

#33 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,782 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:55 AM

If you read the earlier part of the thread, I posted the email between me and "professor no help" and getting the saturation ratio correct would take more money and time then a box of cherrios..

#34 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:03 AM

Extra money for what? A box of cheerios ? :P this is the only variable in the experiment I think. I might pioneer this but I'm a noob and don't wanna waste my z strain print on near guaranteed failure!

Bri made it work, but he has been cultivating for a while. The results weren't spectacular. See above linked thread.

"Professor No-help" I like that lol. Your correct. He was basically no help at all. You could have spent the 15 min it took to email him looking at pictures of silly kittens, and it would have been more productive.
image.jpg
  • Microbe, catattack and Journey like this

#35 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,782 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

I almost spit my coffee out!

#36 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:23 PM

This is Def a viable alternative - soak the oats till they become like porridge, then add dry vermiculite

and stir it up so that the mix is loose enough that it can be shaken in a qt jar..

Use the Blackjack Tek..

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#37 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,744 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

processed foods are killing us.. let us not contaminate our world any more... DOWN WITH Cheerios!

• drmcnasty and catattack like this

#38 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,430 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

I'm for trying it. I have Cheerios to feed my koi in the winter when the pond gets near freezing. They sit in the damp garage for months without even getting soggy if you keep em sort of closed. Does someone have a list of ingredients and quantities? I've got a few fully colonized pf cakes. Let's do it.

• catattack likes this

#39 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

This is Def a viable alternative - soak the oats till they become like porridge, then add dry vermiculite
and stir it up so that the mix is loose enough that it can be shaken in a qt jar..
Use the Blackjack Tek..

Holy crap, golly! Welcome home! Are you here to stay for a bit? :bow:

#40 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,782 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

seems like legit mushroom food to me, if we can potentially use 'bunker spawn' to clean up the environment, IMO the myc can process cheerios 

wharf, you don't like cheerios?

Attached Thumbnails

• 6a00e55214ffbe88340120a8ec324b970b.jpg

Edited by catattack, 04 December 2014 - 05:02 PM.

• GrowerOfShrooms and mjroom like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!